Help me with 30-06 Ammo...which rifle which ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I have a good bit of 30-06 ammo I have questions about. I bought this stuff moons ago and bought some for specific rifles but don't remember which is for what. I don't think I would have bought all of this for my Garands. I am sure folks here are very familiar with the ammo and can point me in the right direction. I have 03A3's, Garands, and other bolts action rifles. Most of this IIRC, was purchased from CMP. Some in boxes, some in the plastic bags as packed by CMP. Most of that is the Greek HXP stuff; including the wood crate of 480 rounds. That I know is for my Garands. I have a can of the black tipped AP ammo (black sealed primer with "AYR 56" hs) also which I think is legal to sell in MD? I doubt if any indoor ranges will allow it but outside ranges?

Mainly want to know about the red sealed primer brass stuff. I think that is Korean Surplus but don't know much more about it.

The black sealed primer with the Arabic must be the Iranian Surplus. Can't read the hs on it. But I believe its 150 gr lead core non-corrosive brass case.

Attachments

• IMG-8419_resize.JPG
      IMG-8419_resize.JPG
      105.9 KB · Views: 315
    • IMG-8420_resize.JPG
      IMG-8420_resize.JPG
      94.6 KB · Views: 307
    • IMG-8423_resize.JPG
      IMG-8423_resize.JPG
      80.9 KB · Views: 310
    • IMG-8426_resize.JPG
      IMG-8426_resize.JPG
      94.1 KB · Views: 338
    • IMG-8428_resize.JPG
      IMG-8428_resize.JPG
      99 KB · Views: 303
    • IMG-8429_resize.JPG
      IMG-8429_resize.JPG
      200.7 KB · Views: 309
    • IMG-8430_resize.JPG
      IMG-8430_resize.JPG
      72.4 KB · Views: 308

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    AFAIK the black tip is ok in MD but some ranges may not like it. You would have to check with the rangemaster for sure. I'm not sure of the exact year but it was in the early '50s that US GI ammo became non-corrosive.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Ayr 56 should be non corrosive. I think US ammo was 1952, but a lot of ammo produced overseas was still corrosive; ala Korean ammo.

M2 ball is all for m1 grand.

No indoor range is going to allow AP ammo. Not a lot of outdoor ranges allow it either.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Funny thing about the Korean 30.06 was there were two types that came on the market together, about 2004 or so. There was PS and KA. To remember the differences people online would say PS means Probably Safe, and the KA means Kaboom

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Funny thing about the Korean 30.06 was there were two types that came on the market together, about 2004 or so. There was PS and KA. To remember the differences people online would say PS means Probably Safe, and the KA means Kaboom

Kaboom was not.
    KA was corrosive.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I have cases of the same plus Danish on clips. As others have said, If from the CMP, all good for Garands and others. KA has been stated to be corrosive, I only shoot it in Bolt rifles just for easier cleaning even though it came on enblocs. (There was one I didn't recognize but others have said it's OK.)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The AYR that CMP sold was known for problems. Most guys who got it don't recommend shooting it without pulling a few rounds for inspection first.

One of the members here who is a garand ammo data junkie pulled quite a few and found the powder had clumped together in distinct masses.

The HXP is pretty great for shooting. 68 was a good year. 78 is know to stick in bolt guns but run great in garands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom