• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I'm replacing the gas block on an AR-10 I bought. There's a washer beneath the threads that doesn't want to come off. If I've learned anything it's don't force things - especially since it could damage threads. Is this a common issue? How would you recommend removing it?

Once I have it off... I'd appreciate any recommendations/ how-to videos on installing an adjustable gas block
    d675611bce783ba351d671b87a3ad872.jpg

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    Use a pair of side cutters and it will come right off.
    It’s a crush washer. Disposable item. Cut it off or just work it over the threads of the barrel.
    Thank you! I figured I could cut it but wasn't sure. I tried working it over the threads but it felt like I'd have to use force to get it to come off - bad idea right? I guess I could just order more online

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Yep. Don’t reuse that washer. It’s a one use item. As you torque it down it is designed to collapse and the washer will stop the muzzle device from backing off. As cheap as they are it’s not not worth it to take a chance. You should be able to get under the washer with a small pry bar or screwdriver and gently work it over the threads.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Try taping it on the high side with a brass punch, to get it level, then it should lift straight off.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I use a thin pair of vise grips to unscrew it, taking care not to contact the threads with the vise grips.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Looks like a clamp on
    Still stuck? Try tapping the washer back down flush with the barrel shoulder with a nylon headed mallet. The washer steel should be softer than the barrel. If you can get the washer flush, you might be able to simply unscrew it from the barrel.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    Still stuck? Try tapping the washer back down flush with the barrel shoulder with a nylon headed mallet. The washer steel should be softer than the barrel. If you can get the washer flush, you might be able to simply unscrew it from the barrel.
    Oh I got it off, I didn't do that but I did something close, to flatten it out I put the flash hider back on really tight. I then used a vise grip to crush it back into more of a circle, and unscrewed it.

The problem I'm having now is the AR-10 still isn't fully cycling with the new gas block. I'm not sure if I didn't fully index the gas block, the ammo is too weak, or the buffer needs to be adjusted.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Oh I got it off, I didn't do that but I did something close, to flatten it out I put the flash hider back on really tight. I then used a vise grip to crush it back into more of a circle, and unscrewed it.

The problem I'm having now is the AR-10 still isn't fully cycling with the new gas block. I'm not sure if I didn't fully index the gas block, the ammo is too weak, or the buffer needs to be adjusted.

Do you have a bore cam to ensure proper alignment of the gas block?

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    Do you have a bore cam to ensure proper alignment of the gas block?
    I do not. I'm not too familiar with gas blocks but I suspect if I waited to put the gas tube in, there's a hole on top that which might have helped with alignment, not sure.

I could bring the upper to the meet and greet tomorrow if you happen to have one

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I do not. I'm not too familiar with gas blocks but I suspect if I waited to put the gas tube in, there's a hole on top that which might have helped with alignment, not sure.

I could bring the upper to the meet and greet tomorrow if you happen to have one

Bring it. Also bring some spaghetti. I ain't kidding. I'll show you how to align a GB without a scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom