• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I FINALLY got my 9yro son out on the range today. He had a great time with my suppressed AR-22 SBR, but I think the trigger reach was a bit much for him (even though he's a fairly big 9yro and it was a K2+ pistol grip). I assume that a traditional stock gun is going make it a little easier on him... what are my options for a youth specific 10/22 stock? Is it just the compact stock model (31114)? I'm not thrilled with that one due to the lack of barrel threading, but can live without it.

I'm not married to the Ruger 10/22, either... if someone's got a clone that fits my needs better (and is reliable), I'm game for that. Reliability is key, though, as this may get pressed into use as a rimfire steel challenge rifle.

Thanks for the advice!

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    10/22 for the win. A ton of mods, eats most everything. I have one that about 40 years old and still going strong. The base models are cheap and he will grow into it quickly if not already. One of my absolute favorite is a 10/22 takedown suppressed. I had a bunch of scouts shooting steel with it at the AGC on Saturday. We did a competition to see who could get the most consecutive hits. They had a blast.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    You could always get a threaded 10/22 and throw it in a Magpul Hunter stock so you can adjust it to fit him as he grows. The length of pull on the Magpul stock is the same 12.5" as on the compact 10/22 and can extend to 14.5" by installing the included spacers.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    IIRC, the compact model comes with the modular stock system with a couple of inserts that can adjust the comb height and LOP as well. Cannot go wrong with availability of aftermarket parts or accessories, either.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just to be clear, I'm intimately familiar with 10/22s; I even built one from scratch once with a 3D printed receiver as a project. Just wasn't sure what model/variant made the most sense for a 9yro.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Beauty of the 10/22 is the sheer amount of aftermarket for it.
    Want a threaded barrel? buy a cheap (used, new, etc) 10/22 and throw on a aftermarket barrel.
    Stock too big/small? tons of aftermarket.

Aftermarket varies from cheap to very expensive. When I dont use the stock Ruger barrel I use mostly Kidd barrels personally, but there are tons of options.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have had good luck with youth shooters using the modular compact stock from Ruger. I then have the stock modules for adults. Super easy to swap out, sling swivels built in, good grip areas.

I like the Magpul Hunter but it is HEAVY. I have seen people build them for kids but then they can't lift the darn thing!

I think the Magpul Backpacker stock for the Takedown is very nice for youth shooters - lightweight, short LOP. But you are really restricted if you want to use it with anything but a barrel mounted red dot for anything you want to be accurate (like 1" or better at 25 yards accurate) due to the deflection of the barrel if you sling it. I have one with a threaded barrel - it is an awesome little rifle. Just wish they had a cantilever barrel mounted rail.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The youth raised wooden stock you see has LOP of 11 1/4. It’s about the same price as the magpul though. I just cut a wooden stock and no buttplate. Matched the angle and it worked fine. Now using a magpul stock for daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I FINALLY got my 9yro son out on the range today. He had a great time with my suppressed AR-22 SBR, but I think the trigger reach was a bit much for him (even though he's a fairly big 9yro and it was a K2+ pistol grip). I assume that a traditional stock gun is going make it a little easier on him... what are my options for a youth specific 10/22 stock? Is it just the compact stock model (31114)? I'm not thrilled with that one due to the lack of barrel threading, but can live without it.

I'm not married to the Ruger 10/22, either... if someone's got a clone that fits my needs better (and is reliable), I'm game for that. Reliability is key, though, as this may get pressed into use as a rimfire steel challenge rifle.

Thanks for the advice!

My son now loves the 10/22, he's big enough now. Before then, at around 8 or 9 he was using a CMMG 22lr upper on my AR, adjustable stock. Runs well on CCI, did mag dumps, lol. Doubt though you'd want that for competition.
    9 yo may feel cool though shooting it though, and it fits. His cousin came visit from Germany, and I think that was his high-lite of the USA.. :lol2:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    One other thing here is that my son is a lefty, so the standard AR controls are not so terribly user friendly for him. 10/22 seemed a little better in that regard, especially since I can get an after-market LH safety.

ETA: we were just doing an administrative gun handling session, and I had not realized quite how awful the AR controls really were for him. I need to do a little more reading.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    One other thing here is that my son is a lefty, so the standard AR controls are not so terribly user friendly for him. 10/22 seemed a little better in that regard, especially since I can get an after-market LH safety.

ETA: we were just doing an administrative gun handling session, and I had not realized quite how awful the AR controls really were for him. I need to do a little more reading.

There are Ambidextrous controls for AR's, Charging handles and Safety's and Bolt catches.

If its a M&P15-22 Radian makes an excellent Ambi Charging Handle/Safety selector set for it. https://radianweapons.com/raptor-m-p-15-22 (its usually much cheaper from other sources too, I think I paid $40ish for one last Dec/Jan)

I am not a lefty, but I put ambi controls on my of my AR's. I am ambidextrous myself so I like the flexibility of using it lefty or righty as needed.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There are Ambidextrous controls for AR's, Charging handles and Safety's and Bolt catches.
    I am aware of these and use them on multiple guns. Unfortunately, I run a 22lr specific CH designed for increased reliability (ie, avoiding the "shell stuck in CH" malf"), so I really don't want to go that direction. It is also using a PDW-style stock that makes using a BAD lever untenable.

Eventually, if he moves up to full size ARs, I will get one of the ADM/Radian/etc. full ambi-lowers.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Lefty throws a wrench in the works, my 8yo(not a lefty) does fine with braced AR "pistols" and SBRs, the weight, overall length and not just the LOP, but the grip to trigger reach are all obstacles. he does fine with my ARs, especially the short stuff with the stock or brace collapsed, with a MOE-K or A1/A2 grip an AR has all of 2.25" grip to trigger and a "LOP" of 10-13". Have a braced 10/22 charger, probably his favorite of them all, the pistol grip(AR grip is used) is about 1/4" longer grip-trigger than the same grip on an AR. A SB1913 side folding brace ends up about 13" LOP on the factory pic rail adapter, but there are AR tube/brace adapters everywhere that allow the same 10-13" as an AR buffer tube.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When you say "fine", what exactly are you making him do with it? My son is fine shooting the thing from a rest. What I am trying to get him better at is administrative gun handling NOT at a rest - reloads, clearing the gun, locking the bolt, etc. As you say, weight and grip to trigger reach are the two big ones. LOP is not such a big problem, the stock is pretty short (bufferless setup).

I feel like the 10/22 platform would present fewer problems with these things.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    When you say "fine", what exactly are you making him do with it? My son is fine shooting the thing from a rest. What I am trying to get him better at is administrative gun handling NOT at a rest - reloads, clearing the gun, locking the bolt, etc. As you say, weight and grip to trigger reach are the two big ones. LOP is not such a big problem, the stock is pretty short (bufferless setup).

I feel like the 10/22 platform would present fewer problems with these things.

Reloading, clearing, bolt manipulation, multiple steel targets, shooting standing/sitting/prone, not quite up to shooting on the move yet. He graduated from shooting it off of a bipod previously. Being a kid with short arms, weight is probably the largest obstacle, especially muzzleweight. He can handle my lightweight stuff, and provided he has a mag or magwell to hold, his stance is relatively stable. Has an easier time with the little 4# 8" charger than with my 6# 16" thumbhole 10/22 or even the 4# 16" CZ513 junior. He can handle a couple 6# ARs too(all with lightweight or short barrels), provided the stock/brace is collapsed, or short enough to tuck in. He might need to rest the mag on the bench after shooting a mag or two, but is getting stronger and taller, so probably won't need that little bit of support soon.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    my 3rd gun growing up was a 1022 that I received when I was 9. I'm as left handed as they get. got my first ar15 At 17 . honestly never had any issues shooting both. I don't get how most people have them for left handed people as I never had a issues with a right handed gun .1 of the few exceptions was my first Aug. now that needled the left handed ejection or you wore hot brass all over the side of your face. but for the most part I adapted just fine in the world of right handed guns.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    I used the standard one from age 5, and it still is comfortable to shoot 25 yearslayer. Don't recall ever having issues as a kid either.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Kids get bigger so it will eventually fit
    I found my kids were more interested while shooting from bench anyway. I eventually got the oldest to enjoy offhand but not till he was 15

Good thing about bench shooting is they concentrated on precision.

I had a single shot Taurus / braziltec thing and that was plenty light enough and shorted LOP for offhand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What about a 10/22 with an adjustable stock? I've got one with the ATI folding, adjustable stock on it. The cheek rest is a bit flimsy, but it solves your problems.

If you have trouble finding that, I could easily part with mine and upgrade.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Everyone seems to more or less agree...we can't have that on MDS!

How about a bolt action (I'm pretty sure Savage makes a nice left handed one) for his very first rifle? You get a little more inherent safety than a semi auto, but, more importantly, an appreciation to make each shot count. Having to load each round should help develop a precise shooter with good fundamentals rather than a mag dumper.

Get a nice 10/22 for "yourself" that he can borrow for steel matches until he earns it...maybe for his birthday, or after completing something like an Appleseed clinic with the bolt action?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom