• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    For me I’d want it somewhere more easily accessible. I’m also of the mindset that “we”
    cannot keep running and hiding until we find ourselves in a ghetto/camp waiting for our fate to be met out. You want my guns? Come and get them.

Same here on the accessibility part.

In regards to running and hiding, that's not my plan so much as just getting back to my home state. I'm a transplanted West-By-God-Virginian here in MD. As with most of my expat friends, we spent the better part of 20 or so years yearning to leave only to spend the next 20 trying to find a reasonable way to move back.

We'll never take back states like MD unless we take control of the curriculum in K-12 schools and start forcing public universities to police the qualifications of their professorial faculty. Kids are being indoctrinated to the liberal way of thinking from an extremely young age. Some states like TX and WV tend to err on the side of conservatism when it comes to texts and teachers, but states like MD and VA just aren't going to go that way unless more conservatives wind up on things like local school boards, state legislatures, and boards of governors for the state run universities. That means people have to run for those positions and be willing to dedicate extraordinary amounts of time to them. Most gainfully employed and successful folks (which in my experience tend to be more conservative) just don't have the time for it, so you wind up with bored housewives like Shannon Watts as the head of the School Board. Unless SCOTUS decides to get their heads out of their asses and actually address the issue of the outlandish gerrymandering going on in places like MD AND NC, state-level politics are never going to be a level playing field in most places which means one party will always be able to shove their agenda down the throats of the citizens.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What does "managed timberland" mean? Does someone else have timber rights?

Don't know what it means in WV. In MD, you can make woodlands of a certain size 'managed woodlands' which allows you to put the land into agricultural use for tax purposes. Usually, to get an Ag exemption you have to produce $2000 on your 'farm'. Forest that is managed means you can get the Ag designation without a specific need to make money off it. The forester comes by, tells you which trees to cut so that the 'more valuable' trees can grow. You get a 'management plan' but there isn't all that much follow up on whether you go through with the plan.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    What does "managed timberland" mean? Does someone else have timber rights?

Don't know what it means in WV. In MD, you can make woodlands of a certain size 'managed woodlands' which allows you to put the land into agricultural use for tax purposes. Usually, to get an Ag exemption you have to produce $2000 on your 'farm'. Forest that is managed means you can get the Ag designation without a specific need to make money off it. The forester comes by, tells you which trees to cut so that the 'more valuable' trees can grow. You get a 'management plan' but there isn't all that much follow up on whether you go through with the plan.

It's somewhat similar. It gives you a tax break whether you actively timber it or not so long as you follow a management plan. Essentially they're looking to make sure that you take out any diseased trees to prevent outbreaks, keep the DNR/Forestry service in the loop about things like emerald ash borer, and work to keep your forest property health. The plan allows you to selectively timber the acreage if you so desire, but does not require you to do so. In short, it gives folks a tax break as incentive to not clear-cut their land and keep the tree population managed and healthy. Easy to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom