• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

Cmurray

Jul 14, 2020
    Hello! New poster here from MOCO.

Took HQL class via Fortress Training on 6/20. Checklist shows application received 6/23.

Recieved All clear on prints and background in the mail.

Zero movement since... checklist only shows one completed check....stuck on pending. Day 25...or Day 28, depending on whichever day qualifies as day 1.
    I started mine 6/15 , progress in checked 7/15 , 7/16 active, now I’m waiting for my HQL in the mail . Anyone know how long it takes ?

Cmurray

Jul 14, 2020
    Alright, so here's the real wait times for buying a handgun in Maryland right now. I'm not discouraging anyone from buying a handgun, but rather trying to give you a realistic expectation of what to expect so you're not on here checking every single day wondering why you don't have your gun yet. I took my HQL class mid/late June was approved mid/late July and I'm still 7 days in waiting on my card to come in the mail. It feels good to get approved but just realize you have at least another two weeks after that before you can take your firearm home.

Finding an HQL Class to take - 5-7 Days
    Submitting HQL Application/MSP Receiving It - 2 Days
    Application Approval Time - 29-30 Days
    Card Mail Time - 7-10 Days
    Purchase Wait Time (Cool Off Period) - 7-8 Days
    Total Time - 50-57 Days

So, as of right now in Maryland, from the time you decide you want to buy a handgun to the time you actually come home with your handgun it will take 50-57 days..... yes you read that right.... I know, I feel your pain and I'm in the same boat.

Some other things to know,

Why hasn't anything updated on my application? The only activity you will see on your application is everything will be marked completed at once and then a couple of hours later it will be active

Do I need my actual hql to buy a gun or can I use the number once it's active? No, you can't use the number you have to have the actual card to purchase the firearm

Can I start my 77r or purchase my gun and have it sent to my FFL so I don't have to wait the 7 days? No, you have to present your hql to the FFL when you purchase your firearm and they have to complete the 77r electronic application and submit it to MSP when you purchase your weapon which will then take 7-8 days to approve and only then can you go pick up your firearm.

As you can see there's no shortcuts, just lots and lots of patience required.
    Are you positive on the 7-10 days in the mail ? Mine went active on 7/15 and I’m creeping up on that # and no card . They need to pass laws to put pressure on MSP to finish these things. It should be just like with the 77r form , if they don’t get you your HQL within 30 days you should be able to purchase a gun. And since we have the cool off time waiting to get the HQL I think we need to get rid of the eight day waiting period. It’s a bit excessive if you ask me

JB28

Jul 22, 2020
    Are you positive on the 7-10 days in the mail ? Mine went active on 7/15 and I’m creeping up on that # and no card . They need to pass laws to put pressure on MSP to finish these things. It should be just like with the 77r form , if they don’t get you your HQL within 30 days you should be able to purchase a gun. And since we have the cool off time waiting to get the HQL I think we need to get rid of the eight day waiting period. It’s a bit excessive if you ask me

No, I'm not positive on the 7-10 days in the mail that just seems to be what some recent posts on the threads have stated. Could be even longer now. I totally agree though, if you're going to give them 30 days for the HQL this should include them mailing it to you and the 7 day cool off time should be accounted for since you've already been waiting 30 days since wanting to purchase a handgun. The reason it is taking ridiculously long right now is because of the sheer number of applications that have been submitted. I read an article where they said they're working "around the clock" just to process the applications within the 30 day time period. Many people want more gun control until a pandemic hits and they realize the necessity of the right to bare arms and then suddenly everyone and their grandma buys every gun on the shelf and hoards all the ammo they can find.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    No, I'm not positive on the 7-10 days in the mail that just seems to be what some recent posts on the threads have stated. Could be even longer now. I totally agree though, if you're going to give them 30 days for the HQL this should include them mailing it to you and the 7 day cool off time should be accounted for since you've already been waiting 30 days since wanting to purchase a handgun. The reason it is taking ridiculously long right now is because of the sheer number of applications that have been submitted. I read an article where they said they're working "around the clock" just to process the applications within the 30 day time period. Many people want more gun control until a pandemic hits and they realize the necessity of the right to bare arms and then suddenly everyone and their grandma buys every gun on the shelf and hoards all the ammo they can find.

Working around the clock? So that means that LD has lost the 2x 15 minute breaks, so they now have to work an extra 30 minutes every day?

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    And they said it would never happen...

Day 34 and I can officially exercise my constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms.

17e834998f9d48b59597dd7d177d022f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JB28

Jul 22, 2020
    Application received 6/18/20
    Application approved 7/16/20
    Card Received 7/23/20

Finally have my card and now a new problem...... if the gun your looking to buy rhymes with Out of Stock chances are that it probably is!! Went to my local store and they were all sold out of Glocks so now I'm searching online and they seem to be sold out everywhere.

Last edited:

DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    You may have to order from a reputable seller on gunbroker.com.

They will mail to your FFL. I purchased my Glock 17 from them.

JB28

Jul 22, 2020
    You may have to order from a reputable seller on gunbroker.com.

They will mail to your FFL. I purchased my Glock 17 from them.

Called around all my local stores and one happened to have one Glock 19 left so they pulled it off the shelf for me to come and pick up luckily.

Jun 29, 2020
    On a Island
    HQL was approved today, sent application in on June 26th, 31 days but they were also waiting for a response from me on the questionnaire. I guess now I wait for my card?

Looking up on how to set up my licensing portal....I can see the fun isn't over yet.....

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    Mine was submitted July 27, still "pending" with no actions taken by the reviewer

edit--I did get the fingerprint letters in the mail shortly after the livescan

Last edited:

ThisOrThat

Aug 6, 2020
    Reading through this thread l see that some stated they have received paperwork in the mail about their fingerprints or their background checks. I have yet to revive any of that.

Applied 7-11

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Applied for the first time on Saturday 7/11 and completed LiveScan same day (Three Brothers in Baltimore). Thursday 7/16 received CJIS letter confirming no criminal history and that national fingerprint check in progress.

Curious to see how fast this all goes- I’ve been a Designated Collector in Maryland since 2004, held a C&R FFL from 2010-2019 (didn’t file renewal last year, filed for a new one this week also) and had made many “regulated firearm” acquisitions in MD from 2002 through 2013 but none since.

Approved 8/7 according to the website. Card in the mail I guess. 27 days to be exact.

Attachments

• D605C058-5966-4E88-BE45-2795B5626BF0.jpg
      D605C058-5966-4E88-BE45-2795B5626BF0.jpg
      98.5 KB · Views: 336

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    Mine was submitted July 27, still "pending" with no actions taken by the reviewer

edit--I did get the fingerprint letters in the mail shortly after the livescan

Just got an email from the W&C Permit folks that the livescan receipt I submitted to them was for the HQL. I resubmitted they marked it in progress. What this tells me is that I probably also submitted the wrong TCN to the HQL folks, which would explain why its sitting in the queue untouched.

Kalinka63

Dieu et mon droit
    Livescan

I would call the location that took your prints and ask them to verify that they sent in the information correctly, then call MSP if it was properly submitted.

A couple of months ago another poster also did not receive the letter about the fingerprints and was able to quickly resolve the problem.

Good luck!

Reading through this thread l see that some stated they have received paperwork in the mail about their fingerprints or their background checks. I have yet to revive any of that.

Applied 7-11

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Did my live scan prints this morning at the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office and submitted the HQL app immediately afterward. The officer who did the prints said that he’s hearing that approvals are taking a week and a half to two weeks. That’s contradictory to what I’m reading in recent posts here, but we shall see. I have a special kind of luck - I’m expecting 60 days. Anything better will be a nice surprise. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom