Camo is a waste of money (For whitetail at least imo)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blasting

Feb 12, 2020
    I am sure deer have better senses then us humans but have you ever played around with camo? A person can walk right past ya, just a few feet, and never see ya! It works and I don't think it has to be anything special. When messing around with friends, and scaring my mother, we just had the standard woodland camo.

Get up in the air and don't move.

But then there have been tons of times deer have walked right up on me while I was hanging out at the camp site or chatting it up during a break while off roading. Sometimes it seems like if you don't care, it seems like the deer don't care!?!?!?!?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Go in the woods you’re hunting, find some of the aromatic tree species that are in the area, break a bunch of small green limbs and combine with green leaves, boil in a pot and condense the steam from it and collect in a spray bottle.
    Poplar , sassafras and sweet/ black gum. Pitch pine and cedar work good.
    I haven’t washed my lightweight coveralls in 8 years or more.
    Use a xx75 arrow shaft as the tap from the lid of the pot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Go in the woods you’re hunting, find some of the aromatic tree species that are in the area, break a bunch of small green limbs and combine with green leaves, boil in a pot and condense the steam from it and collect in a spray bottle.
    Poplar , sassafras and sweet/ black gum. Pitch pine and cedar work good.
    I haven’t washed my lightweight coveralls in 8 years or more.
    Use a xx75 arrow shaft as the tap from the lid of the pot.

2117 or 2216?

:D

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Deer hunters of today have access to 1000 times the knowledge of our grand fathers,
    The science says "carbon sent control" clothing does ZERO.
    I Kill 8-12 deer a year, Bow, ML, Shotgun - Carhart cargo pants in Green or tan, A Tan hoodie in Bow, a n Orange hoodie in firearms season.
    I use a climber 90% of the time and move around to play the wind, and go 20-30' up.

A hunting gadget supplier rep once told me "I could shit on a log and sell it to hunters"
    So many lousy hunters are always looking to "spend their way to success"
    I put 50-100 rounds out of my ML and slug gun pre season, and a few each other week in season to stay proficient, it doesn't matter how much crap you buy if you can't place a shot as second nature.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I know a guy who wears....wore a brown leather jacket and blue khakis with diesel oil on them sometimes.

I was going to mention diesel and farming clothes.
    Once I was shopping for hunting stuff likely ammo and bow gear, I struck up a conversation with a fellow bow hunter. He mentioned that he was a farmer and said his deer could be seen mingling around his tractors and such out in the fields. He mentioned that obviously the smell of diesel etc was something they are accustomed to. He said he would typically hunt in his regular work attire smells and all.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    As for me and camo, I wear camo because my insulated coveralls I hunt in are camo. They were a cheap price, so that is what I bought. If it is less cold out, I have a lighter insulated jacket that is bright orange. I will hunt in that too. I am no expert on animals but do know their noses are so sharp. However, I have been in numerous hunting places where I have had deer walk up on me up to 15 yards away while in camo, and similarly foxes have come up on me and/ or me and a buddy as close as 20-30 yards on down to maybe 10 feet away even.

Now if y'all will promise not to laugh, I also have hunted in white bed sheets. Take a guess when that was?

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    HECS...

I'm a believer in the stuff.

I've had several instances where deer have looked right at me and went right on with whatever they were doing. One late winter day at dusk I was walking around some woods and walked into a harvested cornfield at dusk and two does ran down a hill with a buck in pursuit. They all looked at me in the middle of the cornfield and went about their business.

Last fall I sat on a ridge about 30 yards from 2 does walking down one side of the ridge with a huge buck following them. I could've shot him with a 270 when he stopped but let him walk.

As long as the wind is in your favor and your clothing doesn't reflect the UV HECS is very effective.

You're welcome not to believe me.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Byron (outrider) tested HECS a couple years back and even posted in this thread he saw no noticeable different from it.

The only things I have noticed in deer hunting that works is
    1. an OZone closet that descents your clothes and leaves ozone on your clothes and binds to scent trying to leave you. Its half life is short so you need to run it the day before you hunt.
    2. A black light for checking your clothes. We all have that old pair of camo and some old washed out camo will glow in UV and deer see that, turkeys too. Some poly clothes have fibers mixed in that glow like the rainbow in UV. I got rid of some clothes after buying a black light flash light.

Most hunting stuff is sold to catch the hunter, not wild game. Take most popular camo patterns and put a guy in deep shade under a tree and he looks like a black blob. Shadow grass for waterfowl, which I have some of, looks bright compared to the surrounding reeds in the morning sun. I learned a long time ago analyzing camo at 3' was a waste and needed to be done at 30 yards. Also, none of the camo patterns works as good a shut up and sit still. :D

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If camo is so important why haven't deer evolved to look like Mossy Oak? Because deer have as much camo as they need like most animals, counter shading light on the bottom darker on top with a color grayish brown and they have with white dapples when young. How many deer do you see in the woods or fields unless they are up moving around. There are plenty of deer around but if you go looking you won't see them so their camo works for them.

Eric Sloan who wrote "A Reverence for Wood", "American Barns and Covered Bridges" and many other books also wrote one "Camouflage Simplified" for the War Department in WW II which had a chapter #4 on "Concealment In Nature":
    http://www.easy39th.com/files/Camouflage_Simplified_1942.pdf

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Deer see and pay a whole lot of attention to...

Two eyes, right abreast from each other bridging the nose.
    A million years of instinct reacting to something that has meat eater written all over it.

The best cam0 you can have for deer hunting is a face covering or something that breaks up the outline to your face/neck.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Deer see and pay a whole lot of attention to...

Two eyes, right abreast from each other bridging the nose.
    A million years of instinct reacting to something that has meat eater written all over it.

The best cam0 you can have for deer hunting is a face covering or something that breaks up the outline to your face/neck.
    +1000
    Never get in a standoff with a deer and sit there and lock eyes with it. If you MUST look at, squint your eyes to the point the animal can't see the whites of your eyes. and DO NOT MOVE...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If camo is so important why haven't deer evolved to look like Mossy Oak? Because deer have as much camo as they need like most animals, counter shading light on the bottom darker on top with a color grayish brown and they have with white dapples when young. How many deer do you see in the woods or fields unless they are up moving around. There are plenty of deer around but if you go looking you won't see them so their camo works for them.

Eric Sloan who wrote "A Reverence for Wood", "American Barns and Covered Bridges" and many other books also wrote one "Camouflage Simplified" for the War Department in WW II which had a chapter #4 on "Concealment In Nature":
    http://www.easy39th.com/files/Camouflage_Simplified_1942.pdf
    Again, +1000. For the same reason movement gives you away, notice, when deer stop moving, they disappear. Because of their counter shading, they become 'background'. Solid colors are the best camouflage...until you move.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Byron (outrider) tested HECS a couple years back and even posted in this thread he saw no noticeable different from it.

The only things I have noticed in deer hunting that works is
    1. an OZone closet that descents your clothes and leaves ozone on your clothes and binds to scent trying to leave you. Its half life is short so you need to run it the day before you hunt.
    2. A black light for checking your clothes. We all have that old pair of camo and some old washed out camo will glow in UV and deer see that, turkeys too. Some poly clothes have fibers mixed in that glow like the rainbow in UV. I got rid of some clothes after buying a black light flash light.

Most hunting stuff is sold to catch the hunter, not wild game. Take most popular camo patterns and put a guy in deep shade under a tree and he looks like a black blob. Shadow grass for waterfowl, which I have some of, looks bright compared to the surrounding reeds in the morning sun. I learned a long time ago analyzing camo at 3' was a waste and needed to be done at 30 yards. Also, none of the camo patterns works as good a shut up and sit still. :D

I think the deer were looking at something else besides the HECS.

Monster Bucks are capable of a lot more than people give them credit for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom