Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > Pennsylvania
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 17th, 2020, 05:27 PM #11
Grumpy

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post
I was approved in 5 days, including weekend, in York County. They didn’t contact my references.
Many of the counties no longer have a reference section on the application.
tourrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2020, 05:32 PM #12
Grumpy

Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
Maryland may finally be too much for me.

I am thinking about moving North of the Mason Dixon line. Preliminary thinking for now. I am just doing my homework.

Is there any hassle to move guns into PA?

I am talking registered handguns and a few unregulated long guns (per MD law). Nothing turret mounted or anything crazy.
Come on in! No hassle, just load them up and come on up.

I made the move last October. On Day one got my DL and went two blocks to the Sheriffs office to plop down my $20. Had my CCL in the mail 5 days later.

A week later I went to buy a new FNS and I forgot that there's no waiting period. I tried to remain cool as he handed me the handgun with the receipt.

That's when it hit me.
tourrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2020, 05:36 PM #13

Quote:

Is there any hassle to move guns into PA?
Only if you have a full 500 pound safe.
Old June 17th, 2020, 06:16 PM #14

What are you waiting for? PA is heaven compared to where I'm from. You are going to go broke from buying guns. I wish I moved here 20 years ago. I can't imagine what my collection would look like if I did.
Old June 17th, 2020, 07:04 PM #15
Bear with Arms

Bear with Arms

Congrats to the OP on their move to free country. I’d by lying if I said I wasn’t envious.

If I could convince my family and was able to find suitable jobs for my wife and I, a nice house and spot of land, and good schools, we’d be in rural PA tomorrow.
chooks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2020, 07:27 PM #16
21st Century Hoplite

21st Century Hoplite

I'd be more worried about the surprising school township taxes. It's tough to find out what they are without an agent.
Bikebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2020, 07:58 AM #17
My ignore list is epic

My ignore list is epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebreath View Post
I'd be more worried about the surprising school township taxes. It's tough to find out what they are without an agent.
Why do you say this? I thought they are clearly posted on the real estate listing and also in tax record?

The real problem with school taxes is that they can change very easily. Up the road from me is Spring Grove school district. I don't know the amounts but a few years ago they raised their school tax rate to an astronomical level. This forced some retirees to relocate.

Regarding guns, no worries bringing them in here, for now. The governor is very liberal so that is subject to change as well. Here's a good summary by pafoa.com (the MDS of PA, sort of)
https://www.pafoa.org/law/

Do I have to register my firearms in Pennsylvania?
No, in fact in Pennsylvania it is actually illegal for any government or police agency to keep a registry of firearms per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms). If you legally possess bring your firearms into the Pennsylvania or come into possession of the firearms legally, no further action is required.

It should be noted however that all transfers of handguns in Pennsylvania are required to go through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) and as such the Pennsylvania State Police keep a "Sales Database" of all handguns purchased within the Commonwealth. While almost any casual observer can see that this database clearly violates the spirit of 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms), in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court agreed with the Pennsylvania State Police that because the database is not a complete record of all handgun ownership (as people bringing handguns into the state do not have to register them), it does not.

The other thing you have to watch for is local townships can have their own weird rules. I wanted to add a patio but found out we would need about $20k in engineering a storm water system. We have a detached garage that is grandfathered in but because the patio would be next to it we would have to include that in our "save the bay" solution. I didn't have this problem in Carroll County.
Old June 18th, 2020, 08:06 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by holesonpaper View Post
I've thought about the same but mostly because of real estate prices.. What's always held me back were the public schools as I have younger kids.
I live in Delta, PA. I have worked as a teacher for Harford County Public Schools for 15 years. I have 2 daughters (7 and 9) and have been very pleased with South Eastern School District that covers Delta, Fawn Grove, and Stewartstown. In my personal and family experience I think the schools are better here in PA than in Harford county.

The guns are no problem. Bring whatever you want. Get used to buying whatever you want when you want it. One page application for a concealed carry license, $20 for 5 years. I have no regrets about leaving MD 8 years ago and never plan on going back. Bonus perk, your vote actually counts for something because PA is a swing state.
Old June 18th, 2020, 09:36 AM #19

Thanks for the feedback, everyone

I am still in the "doing my homework" stage

Not just for guns but for everything else. I am heading up there this weekend to explore the area more and see if I would want to live there

I spend a lot of time further North in the Hershey area. I absolutely love it up there but for some specific reasons I don't want to be physically that far from Baltimore County. (I just don't want to live here anymore)
Skipjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2020, 09:49 AM #20
Registered Grendelophile

Registered Grendelophile

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone

I am still in the "doing my homework" stage

Not just for guns but for everything else. I am heading up there this weekend to explore the area more and see if I would want to live there

I spend a lot of time further North in the Hershey area. I absolutely love it up there but for some specific reasons I don't want to be physically that far from Baltimore County. (I just don't want to live here anymore)
Hummelstown (next to Hershey) is where I would go if I moved back to Central PA.

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > Pennsylvania