• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    What if you still have a secondary residence in md. You could leave an ar15 in md, but what if you traveled with it. The ar15 would have to be compliant with the most current law? Hbar etc.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I'm in Yardley PA which is in Bucks County. I've been in PA about 4 years. I moved here from behind enemy lines. The only bad thing about this area is that there are a lot of Liberal Democrats...transplants from NY , NJ, MD, and CT. Democrats have a slightly outnumber Republicans. It would be great if all of the disgruntled pro 2A/pro freedom republicans from NY, NJ, MD and CT moved here to push out the progressives.

It is suburban but not annoyingly crowded like NJ or Long Island NY. Property and school taxes around here run between 5k - 20k depending on your house and size of property. I pay under 6k which includes both property and school taxes. Houses runs between $350,000 - $1 million +.

I have two kids. It is a nice area to raise a family. There a few great gun shops, Tanner's, Surplus City, The Bunker Gun Shop, Clayton's, Classic Pistol are just a few I could think of off the top of my head. The first time feeling of freedom is awesome... walking into a gun shop, seeing what you like, passing a background and walking out with your purchase within 15 minutes...I tell my friends and family about free America. They can't wait to leave where I am from.

Shopping is close by. Depending on your job sector, you can commute to Philly which is within 30 minutes of me. NYC is an 1.5 hours by express train from Trenton NJ, door to door if you worked in midtown.

if you have questions about the area, let me know. I'll assist if I can.

I’ve been looking at Bucks. A few friends grew up there that speak highly of the area. Has a lot of the same benefits of the DMV; close to the beach, close to a river with marinas for a boat, close to the mountains, and close enough to a city. How are the public schools? PHL is a bit of a hike and a dump of an airport, but you can’t have it all. From sample listings I’ve looked at property taxes aren’t great compared to DC (which has surprisingly low property taxes), but damn, that 3% PA income tax would be a windfall. Between the wife an I, depending on how bad the property tax ended up being, would probably net another $10k in the pocket. Not to mention no commie gun laws. In many ways, for people still within peak career income potential, seems like a much better option than DE or NC, which are generally far from a major city and not super competitive on the income tax front (both ~6% though still better than DC or MoCo). I don’t mention VA, because I fear it is too far gone. My only fear in PA is the ability for local jurisdictions to slap on new school taxes willie nilly. What about vehicle registration fees / taxes? That is how places like NH get you. If you can’t tell, I hate giving my money to the government.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    So I went and looked at houses in southern PA this weekend and I love the area

Far enough away from crowded areas to feel like you can get peace and quiet but close enough that I wouldn't need to change jobs

House prices are significantly lower....school taxes are significantly higher...but income tax is observably lower

The real deal sealer for me was when I checked out the local elementary school.

IT HAD SWINGSETS!

Maryland banned swings at schools like 30 years ago because kids could get hurt. PA apparently doesn't baby kids so sold. Seeing those swingsets in the school playground was the final nail in the coffin of my Maryland residency

It's just a matter of finding the right house now

Dont forget the deed to your house when you enroll the children. The school district is going to want to see it for assessment before they can go to class.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    I’ve been looking at Bucks. A few friends grew up there that speak highly of the area. Has a lot of the same benefits of the DMV; close to the beach, close to a river with marinas for a boat, close to the mountains, and close enough to a city. How are the public schools? PHL is a bit of a hike and a dump of an airport, but you can’t have it all. From sample listings I’ve looked at property taxes aren’t great compared to DC (which has surprisingly low property taxes), but damn, that 3% PA income tax would be a windfall. Between the wife an I, depending on how bad the property tax ended up being, would probably net another $10k in the pocket. Not to mention no commie gun laws. In many ways, for people still within peak career income potential, seems like a much better option than DE or NC, which are generally far from a major city and not super competitive on the income tax front (both ~6% though still better than DC or MoCo). I don’t mention VA, because I fear it is too far gone. My only fear in PA is the ability for local jurisdictions to slap on new school taxes willie nilly. What about vehicle registration fees / taxes? That is how places like NH get you. If you can’t tell, I hate giving my money to the government.

Sorry for the late reply. I have not been on in awhile. Since I am in Yardley, Philly is about 40 minutes south of me. I can also fly out of Trenton Mercer airport in NJ which is right over the Delaware River from me. Probably less than 10 minutes from my house. Frontier Airlines flies from there. They fly to a few different cities from there. Yardley is close to almost everything which is why I chose to move here. Upper Bucks is more rural which I prefer but I had to compromise in order to be able to commute.

It depends where you are in Bucks. Public schools vary from mediocre to excellent. Morrisville school district is not that good but Council Rock is supposed to be excellent. I am in Pennsbury which is good but not as good as Council Rock.

if I remember correctly, car registration for two years was $80. Don't quote me on it though. I think there is a limit of how much school taxes can be raised. I pay around $1600 school taxes plus about $4200 property taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom