• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Sanchez

Jul 25, 2020
    C-137
    30 day for one/60 day for two wait only applies to handguns.

You can, by the time they get to it, your 7 day wait would be over and you should qualify for DC. If you get denied simply call them after your 7 day wait is over and the 77R approved.

Ok thank you for the information.

rhippert

Aug 25, 2013
    Silver Spring, MD
    I believe you can buy two guns within the 30 day period, but then you have to wait 60 days before you can purchase another. I'm pretty sure they don't have to be at the same time. I bought one on February 3, 2019 and another on February 7, 2019. I got my collector's letter in March 2019. Check this web page for Collector Designation: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...singDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx This is from that page:

A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period, unless that person is a Designated Firearms Collector. Exemptions to the Designated Firearms Collector, and who may also purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period, are:
    The purchase is for a private collection or a collector series.
    The purchase is a bulk purchase from an estate sale.
    The purchase is for the purpose of taking advantage of a dealer's discounted price for a multiple purchase. No more than two firearms may be purchased at a time in this way.
    The purchase is for a security guard company.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I believe you can buy two guns within the 30 day period, but then you have to wait 60 days before you can purchase another. I'm pretty sure they don't have to be at the same time. I bought one on February 3, 2019 and another on February 7, 2019. I got my collector's letter in March 2019. Check this web page for Collector Designation: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...singDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx This is from that page:

A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period, unless that person is a Designated Firearms Collector. Exemptions to the Designated Firearms Collector, and who may also purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period, are:
    The purchase is for a private collection or a collector series.
    The purchase is a bulk purchase from an estate sale.
    The purchase is for the purpose of taking advantage of a dealer's discounted price for a multiple purchase. No more than two firearms may be purchased at a time in this way.
    The purchase is for a security guard company.

In theory probably none of us who don't have a DC should be buying more than 1 in 30 and not doing the 2 and then 60 day wait if you look at the exceptions.

The dealers discount for multiple purchases specifically says no more than two firearms may be purchased at a time in this way. There it is specifically calling out that the purchase has to be at the same time.

Most of us couldn't really with a straight face (okay, some of you are better at poker than I am) that both purchases are really for a collection. I don't think they mean I have a collection of handguns. Pretty sure they really mean something like "oh, these Walther PPKs are consecutive serial numbers" or "I got a Colt and a Singer 1911 from WWII for my 1911 collection".

Generally most of these aren't buying 2 from an estate collection.

I doubt many of us work for a security guard company.

Odd yours actually got approved. The few anecdotes I've heard from people (who did not have a DC) who did try to buy 2 within 30 days that were not at the exact same time, they got a delay on the 77r until 30 days was up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The intent of the DC was to quiet the complaints that with 1 per month, if a collection came up for sale, one could not buy it.

So, originally, it was for serious collectors. And IIRC, they required some proof of real collecting activities.

Later, it got opened up to allow almost anyone to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom