• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Moderate, on either side, means more centrist; they are willing to take the prevailing Republican party view and the prevailing Democratic party view, compromise and arrive at a resolution in the center. I don’t want centrist solutions to everything but, when presented a candidate from “my party” (since we have a two party system) that I don’t want to support (for example, due to their extreme and zealous views on gun control) I am more inclined to pick a Republican who will compromise on the other issues that I value.

Be specific. Are you advocating for Republicans that, for example, agree that a moderate amount of utterly unrelated the pork that Nancy Pelosi is trying to graft onto COVID relief legislation is OK? How moderate should Republicans be on that topic? Are you thinking that, say, Republicans should have embraced a moderate number of the pallets full of cash Obama flew to Iran? Should the Republicans back off, and only support a moderate number of injured and sick veterans to be able to get medical care outside the backed-up VA system?

Republicans tend to think that - just like everywhere else in the civilized world - it's important for people to prove who they are when they cast a vote that will impact the future of the nation. You're hoping for Republicans that will back off and say they think only a moderate number of people should have to meet that standard?

When people like Pelosi and Schumer talk about how the Republicans "need to compromise," they ALWAYS mean: "The Republicans need to do what we say." That BS position - where the left is NEVER "moderate" - is how you get 100% partisan nonsense like the ACA or the recent laughable impeachment clown show. You want Trump and other Republicans to back down from their positions, but I'm not hearing you ask - for example - people like Pelosi to so much as consider why (for example) some of her fellow Catholics might find abortions on demand at 9 months to be unspeakable, or giving sanctuary to MS-13 murderers a morally bankrupt position. Where's your call for "moderation" on their part? This entire notion, as popularly referred to by the Dems, is always, always, always a one-way street.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I’m almost certain it will be ignored, but I am encouraging my other democratic friends to do the same, only took 5 minutes.

“Rep. Trone,

I am a liberal/progressive in your district who voted for you in 2018. I, along with many other liberals in your District, do not support the majority of “gun safety” policies that you, and the Democratic party as a whole, are proposing. Arbitrarily designating certain rifles as “assault weapons” and pledging to ban them will not make us safer and is an unnecessary infringement of a constitutional right. The same applies to arbitrary 10 round magazine capacity limits. Neither of these are “common sense” gun reforms, they are senseless restrictions that only affect lawful gun owners. I would hate voting for your Republican challenger, but I will not support a candidate who is willing to infringe on fundamental constitutional rights just to pass feel good legislation that will not in any meaningful way address gun violence in this country. I would urge you to move more towards the center on Second Amendment issues. Look at the NICS data and news coverage, a large number of recent firearms purchases have been from Democrats who purchased their first firearm. In Maryland many of these Democrats purchased a semiautomatic rifle that would be classified as an assault weapon under the Democratic proposals due to the fact that they were unable to obtain a HQL during the pandemic closure to enable them to purchase a handgun.

Thank you for your time and consideration and for the work that you have done on behalf of Maryland residents in your District.”

You do realize that gun control remains an integral part of the Democrat Party Platform...

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    You do realize that gun control remains an integral part of the Democrat Party Platform...

What they don't understand is there is NO negotiations or reasoning with democrats. They want it ALL their way with no exception...... ESPECIALLY on 2A.
    Wallet over freedom. Unfortunately when they move to a better place they bring their politics with them that destroyed where they were to begin with. :mad54:

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Be specific. Are you advocating for Republicans that, for example, agree that a moderate amount of utterly unrelated the pork that Nancy Pelosi is trying to graft onto COVID relief legislation is OK? How moderate should Republicans be on that topic? Are you thinking that, say, Republicans should have embraced a moderate number of the pallets full of cash Obama flew to Iran? Should the Republicans back off, and only support a moderate number of injured and sick veterans to be able to get medical care outside the backed-up VA system?

Republicans tend to think that - just like everywhere else in the civilized world - it's important for people to prove who they are when they cast a vote that will impact the future of the nation. You're hoping for Republicans that will back off and say they think only a moderate number of people should have to meet that standard?

When people like Pelosi and Schumer talk about how the Republicans "need to compromise," they ALWAYS mean: "The Republicans need to do what we say." That BS position - where the left is NEVER "moderate" - is how you get 100% partisan nonsense like the ACA or the recent laughable impeachment clown show. You want Trump and other Republicans to back down from their positions, but I'm not hearing you ask - for example - people like Pelosi to so much as consider why (for example) some of her fellow Catholics might find abortions on demand at 9 months to be unspeakable, or giving sanctuary to MS-13 murderers a morally bankrupt position. Where's your call for "moderation" on their part? This entire notion, as popularly referred to by the Dems, is always, always, always a one-way street.

I respect your position and how vigorously you support it, but I don’t think you would hear anything that I say in response. Thanks for trying to engage me though I appreciate it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I respect your position and how vigorously you support it, but I don’t think you would hear anything that I say in response.

We'll never no, since you won't actually say it. It's very easy to say, "He's not moderate! The Republicans aren't moderate!" ... and never actually say what you mean by that. The hallmark of so many Democrats, on their stated opinions, is their unwillingness to ever tolerate, let alone engage in answering, a follow-up question.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD

Have you ever taken the time to form your own opinion on Trump, by researching what he has done, vs just believing the majority of what media has claimed about him? If you do take the time to read between the lines a little more, you would probably see him as the moderate Republican he is. 10-20 years ago he would have been (and was) a Democrat. There is a lot more nuance in what he has strived to do, and what he has actually achieved.

One thing you cannot argue is the power of his deregulation and relief of taxes that caused the economy to boom pre COVID. COVID will probably disappear come November, the push has been an opportunistic media and left folk never Trumper's attempting to hurt the Orange man.

He has actually quite come into his own, he isn't even saying ridiculous stuff like he use to. I think he has learned people don't like it.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    We'll never no, since you won't actually say it. It's very easy to say, "He's not moderate! The Republicans aren't moderate!" ... and never actually say what you mean by that. The hallmark of so many Democrats, on their stated opinions, is their unwillingness to ever tolerate, let alone engage in answering, a follow-up question.

Ignore the term moderate for a second because you seem to be hung up on it and replace it with the term centrist.

COIVD relief: Assume democrats want to provide direct relief payments to individuals and families. Assume republicans want to provide tax cuts to companies. The centrist solution might be a reduced direct relief payment along with a tax cut. I am not saying this is the narrative or position of either side, or that this is the best outcome for the problem. I am only trying to use this to illustrate what I meant by a moderate or centrist republican.

Climate Change: Assume the democrats want to impose strict regulatory frameworks that limits specific industries from releasing methane or CO2 into the atmosphere. Assume republicans want to protect companies from unnecessary regulatory burdens. The centrist solution might be some kind of market-based program or carbon/methane tax.

Abortion: Assume the democrats want to allow women to have an abortion at any stage up to fetal viability. Assume the republicans want to ban abortions in all but narrowly limited circumstances. The centrist solution might be to restrict abortions after a heartbeat can be established, or after x number of weeks.

Tax policy: Assume the democrats want to raise taxes on the 1% by increasing the capital gains tax. Assume the republicans want to cut taxes across the board. The centrist solution might be to increase the capital gains tax but remove or significantly reduce the corporate tax rate.

I would vote for a Republican who was pro gun but willing to compromise and come to more centrist solutions on topics like climate change, tax policy, abortion, economic issues (covid relief etc) over a democrat who is hardcore anti gun, but also hardcore in favor of progressive solutions to climate change, tax policy, economic policy, etc, despite the fact that I would like to see progressive policies implemented in these other areas.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I respect your position and how vigorously you support it, but I don’t think you would hear anything that I say in response. Thanks for trying to engage me though I appreciate it.

We don't understand your position and would like to understand it. The primary issue is respect of rights codified in the US Constitution. The 1A and 2A are being torn apart by those to the left of Republicans.

I have always been interested in the theftocracy of the left and those who support it. The left want's all of your money, the left want's your labor, the left want's to tell you what to do, when to do it and how to do it. The left want's to tell you what to think, what to say and when to say it.

A moderate is someone who is bereft of morals and principles, they just go along to get along.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Ignore the term moderate for a second because you seem to be hung up on it and replace it with the term centrist.

Climate Change: Assume the democrats want to impose strict regulatory frameworks that limits specific industries from releasing methane or CO2 into the atmosphere. Assume republicans want to protect companies from unnecessary regulatory burdens. The centrist solution might be some kind of market-based program or carbon/methane tax.

I would vote for a Republican who was pro gun but willing to compromise and come to more centrist solutions on topics like climate change, tax policy, abortion, economic issues (covid relief etc) over a democrat who is hardcore anti gun, but also hardcore in favor of progressive solutions to climate change, tax policy, economic policy, etc, despite the fact that I would like to see progressive policies implemented in these other areas.

So you would be ok with Cortez and anything approaching the Green New Deal which is insane?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yeah, in an ideal world I would want the Green New Deal. I don’t think it’s a political reality though.

I fail to understand how you can support the 2A and be for something as controlling and drastic as that.
    You have to know that the Green New Deal would absolutely destroy our economy and way of life don’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

COIVD relief: Assume democrats want to provide direct relief payments to individuals and families. Assume republicans want to provide tax cuts to companies. The centrist solution might be a reduced direct relief payment along with a tax cut. I am not saying this is the narrative or position of either side, or that this is the best outcome for the problem. I am only trying to use this to illustrate what I meant by a moderate or centrist republican.

Abortion: Assume the democrats want to allow women to have an abortion at any stage up to fetal viability. Assume the republicans want to ban abortions in all but narrowly limited circumstances. The centrist solution might be to restrict abortions after a heartbeat can be established, or after x number of weeks.

Tax policy: Assume the democrats want to raise taxes on the 1% by increasing the capital gains tax. Assume the republicans want to cut taxes across the board. The centrist solution might be to increase the capital gains tax but remove or significantly reduce the corporate tax rate.

So you’d support a Republican who was pro 2A but more liberal on other issues.

You’d also support a Liberal who was liberal/left leaning on most issues who was also pro 2A

Except in the above two choices, the second one doesn’t exist.....anywhere in this country.

You get what you vote for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    I voted for Aruna Miller in the primary but Trone (grudgingly) in the general just because, after Trump, I wasn’t voting for any R at midterms.

I added the last sentence to be polite, I actually despise him and will vote R for the 6th this cycle (even though the candidate is a Trumper). I still don’t know who I’ll vote for in the pres (I know it won’t be Trump) or in the other offices on the ballot.

Candidates like Trump and these Q-anon supporters make it really difficult for anyone who leans left to cast a R vote, and the “new” Republican party under Trump doesn’t have much, if anything, that I support politically. I could vote for Rs like Kaisch, Romney, McCain, Huntsman, Weld, Flake, Boehner, etc. This is a dying breed. While the democrats have a split between the moderate and progressive wings Republicans have (excluding a limited # of outliers) gone all in on Trump.

2018 into 2019 I did a 180 on 2A rights and now consider that to be high up on the list of priorities, but I align with the progressive wing of the democrats on most other issues (climate, abortion, taxes, immigration, foreign policy, criminal justice reforms).

I’ll continue to use my (extremely limited) voice to push the dems away from their current 2A platform, but would love the opportunity to vote for moderate Rs.

Mike - I admire the fact that you are a liberal on this forum and are a part of this right leaning / libertarian group. You seem to be able to share your thoughts and beliefs without name calling and getting your feelings hurt. It doesn't seem like many are attacking you for your beliefs. (Not sure a conservative / libertarian would be given the same respect you are, on say a liberal / left leaning forum.) I honestly respect your right to form your own opinion... I fought for that right for you... But you sort of dodged my question.. I'm glad you don't support Trone, but what has he done for the 6th District?? What did Delaney do? What did Barlett do for all of his years?

BTW - most of the R's you seem to gravitate towards have (or had..) personal issues with Trump.. Romney is a clear example... Talk about a spineless man... He hates Trump yet begged for a job when Trump won the election, then criticizes him after he doesn't get the job, moves to Utah (where he owns one of his many homes) and leverages his religion, and huge bank account to win a seat in the Senate so he can criticize Trump from there... Did you support Romney against O'bummer? Do you remember all the things the left - who now embrace him as a principled smart leader - said about him during that election cycle??

Again - I enjoy the back and forth and nothing is meant to be a personal attack on you, or your beliefs, values, morals, etc... Keep writing him and the Senators - its what we need to do! Stay involved - listen to all sides, but listen critically.. Keep your BS Filter ready..

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD

We'll listen, and if it makes sense, we'll agree... If its illogical and not in line with the Constitution and foundations of this country. You should explain liberal plans to destroy the 2A for starters... Good luck...

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Yeah, in an ideal world I would want the Green New Deal. I don’t think it’s a political reality though.

Please don't dodge this question - WHY???? Why do you want the Green New Deal??? Hold on - you're just Trolling us aren't you... Damn and I fell for it...

Last edited:

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Mike - I admire the fact that you are a liberal on this forum and are a part of this right leaning / libertarian group. You seem to be able to share your thoughts and beliefs without name calling and getting your feelings hurt. It doesn't seem like many are attacking you for your beliefs. (Not sure a conservative / libertarian would be given the same respect you are, on say a liberal / left leaning forum.) I honestly respect your right to form your own opinion... I fought for that right for you... But you sort of dodged my question.. I'm glad you don't support Trone, but what has he done for the 6th District?? What did Delaney do? What did Barlett do for all of his years?

BTW - most of the R's you seem to gravitate towards have (or had..) personal issues with Trump.. Romney is a clear example... Talk about a spineless man... He hates Trump yet begged for a job when Trump won the election, then criticizes him after he doesn't get the job, moves to Utah (where he owns one of his many homes) and leverages his religion, and huge bank account to win a seat in the Senate so he can criticize Trump from there... Did you support Romney against O'bummer? Do you remember all the things the left - who now embrace him as a principled smart leader - said about him during that election cycle??

Again - I enjoy the back and forth and nothing is meant to be a personal attack on you, or your beliefs, values, morals, etc... Keep writing him and the Senators - its what we need to do! Stay involved - listen to all sides, but listen critically.. Keep your BS Filter ready..

Thanks for the kind words. I’m not trying to change anyone’s views here just let them know that (however ridiculous it may seem) there are a number of pro 2A dems/progressives out there & chime in with my perspective from time to time.

Oh I wasn’t trying to dodge it I just don’t know what Trone has done for our District (if anything) and clarified that I only put that line in there to be polite and end on a high note. The only reason I didn’t vote for the R running against him (who also lived in Potomac) was because I opposed Trump and wanted a vote against his agenda in Congress. At the time I was also just starting to critically analyze the various 2A issues, so that didn’t really enter my calculus for voting at midterms.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Please don't dodge this question - WHY???? Why do you want the Green New Deal??? Hold on - you're just Trolling us aren't you... Damn and I fell for it...

I think drastic action is needed to address climate change and see it as the greatest danger in the world today.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I think drastic action is needed to address climate change and see it as the greatest danger in the world today.

If this blows up on this thread I may chime in but honestly I quit social media recently to avoid this shit bc I think the place for arguments is in person over drinks, and the interwebs is destroying civilization.

...that said, I’m not willing to share identifying info here but I work in tech related to the clean energy sector, I’m pretty knowledgeable on the subject including the state of finance and infrastructure. I have an idea where this conversation is going because there isn’t anything left that hasn’t been politicized in 2020, but regardless of what people accept or reject on the science, solar and wind are booming right now and it’s one of the few sectors thriving in what is likely the start of a global depression.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I can also recommend some books but honestly they’re depressing as hell. They got me interested in prepping from the perspective of climate change. People really focus on the wrong stuff, the alarming thing is there is no way to look at what’s already happening without expecting mass migration on an unprecedented scale, and that’s the kind of thing that causes civilization to collapse.

Happy Friday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom