• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm curious.

Does anyone know of a case where someone was arrested in Maryland for illegal concealed carry? (I'm not planning on carrying concealed, nor do I advocate carrying illegally in our great and glorious Fatherland.) I'm just curious as to what the penalty is and how long one might be incarcerated for doing so. Since it is a felony, one who does carry and is convicted for doing so, will be forever barred from owning any type of firearm in any state, worlds without end. Amen.

But some people will carry anyway, intentionally or unintentionally. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal or firsthand experience with this.

The reason I ask is that a friend of mine is a cop in Arizona. They pulled over a guy on the highway and they ask him if they can search the car. The guy, an elderly fellow, says, "Sure, I have nothing to hide."

So they conduct a search. Under the seat, they find a Jennings J-22 with no magazine. It's covered in dust and the man doesn't know it was there or who it belonged to. (His son drove the car a lot, and the gun was thought to have belonged to a friend of his.) Instead of throwing the gun in the trunk and giving the guy a warning, they arrest the guy!

Jennings J,-22

When my friend told me the story, I told him he was a jerk. That could be expected in a state like Maryland, but Arizona? He didn't know what happened to the guy, but they had someone come to the site and impound the car and they took him to the station in handcuffs.

So that started me thinking, what would happen in Maryland to someone arrested for carrying concealed? Could one expect to receive a prison sentence if he/she had an otherwise clean record? And if anyone is a cop, I'd be particularly interested in hearing from you.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    never ever consent to a search. in marylandistan, as long as you are the newly coined word "poc" you are good to go.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    So that started me thinking, what would happen in Maryland to someone arrested for carrying concealed? Could one expect to receive a prison sentence if he/she had an otherwise clean record? And if anyone is a cop, I'd be particularly interested in hearing from you.

You would be arrested, and face the charge. Do a lot of people get off- yes PBJ is common with no priors, and a lot also get Nolle Pros’ed. Do you want to pay several thousand in legal fees for private counsel to find out?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    From reviewing case search it seems that if someone is arrested for a crime with a lot of charges and they are carrying, it is often not prosecuted. I think that if one is only carrying concealed, they will be getting charged with it. I don’t know it has to do with having a bunch of prior arrests too either. This is only based on the my “feelings” so hopefully a lawyer or police will come along to share their experience.

My friend bought an old SUV out of state. He was cleaning it out weeks after he put it on the road and found a loaded pistol just like the one you pictured in a third row storage compartment. It’s a good thing his kids didn’t find it. Luckily the police didn’t search his car either. If they did I’d have more to tell though.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Arizona is a constitutional carry state, he would not require a carry permit and firearms are allowed to be stored anywhere inside the vehicle.....

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Eight or so years ago, a guy from Virginia or West Virginia was arrested in Frederick County for illegal carry. Somehow it was discovered when he stopped at a gas station. It never occurred to him that his carry permit wasn't valid everywhere, like his driver's license is.

I don't remember what happened to him, but I'm sure it was not good.

You often hear of people arrested at Friendship BWI Airport with a gun in their baggage. These arrests are always breathlessly reported as if the Public has been narrowly rescued from a Dangerous Lunatick.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Hmmmm I thought that is the 'normal' state of affairs in most urban areas. It would be cool if we could get a legitimate count to see what the number is. I dare say its higher than most think.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Don't speed. Drive reasonably. Don't exceed speed limit by more than nine MPH or 14 MPH depending on the roads you're on. No stickers on your truck. Nothing that advertises anything. Cops look for traffic violations first then how drivers or passengers act.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The script

Why did you pull me over?
    "I'm not discussing my day"
    Am I detained or free to go?
    (If detained) Invoke the 5th

Then
    Shut the fvck up.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    An officer can ask...you're not obligated to consent. Absent probable cause the officer can articulate he cannot conduct a legal search without consent. It's an idiom in law enforcement that "consent gets you everything".

It comes down to...don't consent.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    An officer can ask...you're not obligated to consent. Absent probable cause the officer can articulate he cannot conduct a legal search without consent. It's an idiom in law enforcement that "consent gets you everything".

It comes down to...don't consent.

If you do consent, you can tell them to stop at any time. They are not obligated to tell you this information either.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Take someone who grew up in Free America who becomes a cop in Maryland would most likely handle a "mild" CCW case much different than a cop who grew up in Maryland.
    A nurse driving home or to work with a gun in their bag is much different than a stop with a thug.

It's not a "shall arrest" crime iirc.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    not a crime in AZ. this is a masturbatory exercise at best.

.....and it's working

"I'm just curious as to what the penalty is and how long one might be incarcerated for doing so"

How many responses actually addressed the OPs question directly? How many were opinions, feelings, totally unrelated to Maryland or never answered the question?:sad20:

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Not firearms related but I know some people think consenting will help them. To my knowledge I have never carried anything illegal in my car but I would still never consent because I don't want my car torn through and my stuff tossed around. Plus despite constant slippage we still have a bill of rights.

I do have a friend who years ago in Montgomery county was essentially stalled by some nasty cop who was essentially not going to end the traffic stop until he consented.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I know of someone who has been carrying a loaded pistol in his car for over 40 years at least so he says wink, wink. So if you dare, it looks like pretty good odds. Me I tend to follow the laws and rules period. I just would not put myself in any position that will comprise me or my family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom