• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Good grief you actually used the FCC ULS?

Last I used it, I had to use an XP VM running a very old version of Firefox and a very old (insecure) Java version to use it.

But yes, if you can do that it's free.

I renewed my GMRS this year. It's still one of the worst user experiences that I've EVER had.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Does anyone know of any stores in Westminster or Carroll County area that sells any of the study guides? The Books A Million store in the mall show "not in stock" and I want to walk in some place, pay cash, and walk out with it in hand.

I've been using web sites, but for things like this, nothing beats a real book you can flip through.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Does anyone know of any stores in Westminster or Carroll County area that sells any of the study guides? The Books A Million store in the mall show "not in stock" and I want to walk in some place, pay cash, and walk out with it in hand.

I've been using web sites, but for things like this, nothing beats a real book you can flip through.

I found two sources if info totally invaluable.

The book: Pass Your Amateur Radio Technicians Exam - The Easy Way by Craig Buck. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1985125641/ . If you have amazon an amazon unlimited account I was able to download and borrow this book.

The second was a testing app and study guide. I have an iPhone but it may be available on Android too.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ham-radio-exam-tech/id601991935

I would take the test every day and the app would tell you which specific areas you were struggling with. Then I could go back and concentrate on studying those topics.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I found two sources if info totally invaluable.

The book: Pass Your Amateur Radio Technicians Exam - The Easy Way by Craig Buck. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1985125641/ . If you have amazon an amazon unlimited account I was able to download and borrow this book.

The second was a testing app and study guide. I have an iPhone but it may be available on Android too.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ham-radio-exam-tech/id601991935

I would take the test every day and the app would tell you which specific areas you were struggling with. Then I could go back and concentrate on studying those topics.

Thanks, I thought about that. I work in IT and have bought e-books before for reference and/or testing. For me, things like this are better served with real books that I can flip back and forth through. I just find it easier.

Ebooks are fine for novels, but even then...something about the feel of a real book despite the instant delivery of an ebook can't be beat.

I'll probably suck it up and buy from Amazon. Wanted to throw some cash to a local joint.

EDIT: I've been using the hamstudy.org tests. The flash cards help, but some still leave me without "knowledge" of the subject beyond the "this is the answer." Your suggested book is the main book I'm looking to buy. Was thinking about this one also, but will probably go with Mr. Buck's.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0945053908/

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Antenna Envy?

Actually mine is pretty modest, by ham standards is tiny....I mean ham girls laugh when they see it Tiny...

For serious antenna envy, I have an 80M contact in my log with a guy in Denmark that was hitting me at S9+30dB, and he hit a Denver station at S9+20dB.

A 3 element, 80M yagi. FULL SIZED. :D

My first HF contact was Mozambique using an Cushcraft R5 vertical. And most of my HF work has been on that antenna, except 40M and 80M.

For VHF/UHF, a simple dual band vertical will handle just about everything you need. I have a Comet.

And for do it yourself, for single band, a "virus" antenna works quite well. That is an SO-239 with 5x 1/4 wave pieces of wire (coat hanger or welding rod works).

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    For serious antenna envy, I have an 80M contact in my log with a guy in Denmark that was hitting me at S9+30dB, and he hit a Denver station at S9+20dB.
    A 3 element, 80M yagi. FULL SIZED. :D
    He's probably running an amp too. :rolleyes: But at least with that beam, maybe he can hear as far as he can SHOUT. ;)

My first HF contact was Mozambique using an Cushcraft R5 vertical. And most of my HF work has been on that antenna, except 40M and 80M.
    That's cool! Haven't hit a lot of Africa yet, but I did get a guy in the western coast of South Africa with about 30 Watts. That was cool. For 80-20 meters, I'm just running an end-fed half-wave between a couple of trees. For 10 and 6 meters I use simple dipoles made from lamp cord soldered straight to a BNC, no balun. I string them up between a couple of 1x2's bungee'd to my deck railing (total height about 20 ft). Perfectly resonant.

And for do it yourself, for single band, a "virus" antenna works quite well. That is an SO-239 with 5x 1/4 wave pieces of wire (coat hanger or welding rod works).
    That was my first "base" VHF antenna. Worked just fine. Good for a cheap "stealth" attic antenna. But don't cheap-out on the coax. Losses mount quickly at VHF.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I renewed my GMRS this year. It's still one of the worst user experiences that I've EVER had.

When I say worst user experiences, I'm not talking about it not working. I didn't have functional issues. However, that site is clumsy and difficult to navigate. Our tax dollars in action... :mad54:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    When I say worst user experiences, I'm not talking about it not working. I didn't have functional issues. However, that site is clumsy and difficult to navigate. Our tax dollars in action... :mad54:

ha! I noticed that. Functionally it was fine, but....going from creating an FRN to tripping my way though buying the GRMS license and going back to see the application was there....it took me a while. And that was my thought " government efficiency." :D

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    ToolAA -

Last night I read your slides for tonight's class. It is so well done, that when I first looked at them I thought it was something you snagged from another site/class...then I saw the WJZ and MDS screenshots.

I can't thank you enough for the effort you are putting into this.

I have some questions for tonight...some I think will be answered by the course of things...some...maybe not.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    ToolAA -

Last night I read your slides for tonight's class. It is so well done, that when I first looked at them I thought it was something you snagged from another site/class...then I saw the WJZ and MDS screenshots.

I can't thank you enough for the effort you are putting into this.

I have some questions for tonight...some I think will be answered by the course of things...some...maybe not.

Thanks man. I probably put about 30hrs into preparing 3hrs of class. I hope everyone gets some good useful information.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Dumb question:
    A lot of people are getting "Amateur Radios" for a SHTF situation, If that is there intended use why would they bother with a license?

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Dumb question:
    A lot of people are getting "Amateur Radios" for a SHTF situation, If that is there intended use why would they bother with a license?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Dumb question:

Because just like with guns it’s good to understand what they can and can’t do and that means using them before the alien invasion and sharknado happen.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Dumb question:

I've learned a lot from both reading and ToolAA's class.

My original goal was comms with the wife and kids should we be separated when SHTF (and by that I mean, no phone, no cell towers and as far a license or not, no FCC to care). There are so many little things to know, there's no reason to not get the license because you would already know what is needed for the license plus some legal stuff. Like with a gun, you'll want practice to really understand how to do it right.

These are not "unpack and talk" like a kids walkie-talkie.

And...never thinking I would care...I seem to have caught the bug and am wondering how to convince the wife to dump money into and ignore the aesthetics of an antenna on the roof and a room with radio gizmos.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Dumb question:

You need to be practiced and understand the technology. Just like a gun you can't have it, never go to the range and then expect to be able to use it for self defense.

The amateur radio frequencies are a service to the community. If you don't participate in the community you will not be well received when they are needed.

There's already a provision in FCC Part 97 which allows any means of communication necessary to prevent loss of life or property.

Get the damn license, it's not difficult. Maybe you'll learn something and contribute to the community.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Dumb question:

If there were only a thread somewhere with a post at the top where such questions were addressed...

And now for a brief metaphor:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom