• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brigetta

Oct 25, 2020
    cash on hand

Keep putting money aside with lower bills like 20s, 10s, 5s, and 1s. But I also have over $500 in Silver dollars (Susan B. Anthony).

TechnicalTaco

MDS Supporter
    Sep 12, 2020
    Northern Calvert
    There was a point where I had an assortment of airplane bottles of various liquors that I planned to use to barter if cash lost value and if the person I was making a transaction with was more interested in a buzz than silver.

I’m a firm believer that everything has value; some things just hold more value to different people... so diversify,

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    However, Duetche Marks are now worthless, since the time period to cache them in for euros has past. I do have a couple around from days gone by...

The Deutsche Bundesbank would disagree.

From Wikipedia: "The Deutsche Bundesbank has guaranteed that all German marks in cash form may be changed into euros indefinitely, and one may do so in person at any branch of the Bundesbank in Germany. Banknotes and coins can even be sent to the Bundesbank by mail. In 2012, it was estimated that as many as 13.2 billion marks were in circulation, with one poll showing a narrow majority of Germans favouring the currency's restoration..."

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The Deutsche Bundesbank would disagree.

From Wikipedia: "The Deutsche Bundesbank has guaranteed that all German marks in cash form may be changed into euros indefinitely, and one may do so in person at any branch of the Bundesbank in Germany. Banknotes and coins can even be sent to the Bundesbank by mail. In 2012, it was estimated that as many as 13.2 billion marks were in circulation, with one poll showing a narrow majority of Germans favouring the currency's restoration..."

Once upon a time, Germany was forcing the switch in the early naughts, and put out the guidance. Apparently, the DM hold outs won the day.

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    @Donald

You’re gonna have to start thinking differently if you want to fit in around here.:sad20::sad20::D

Truth be told, I welcome somebody who understands the value of community and the potential leverage of crowd sourcing. You are not alone. There’s many great folks who contribute quite positively. You also seem to be less egotistical than some of our members whose idea or thought is always the best and yours is always something less... Please pardon them their insecurity and understand they just weren’t raised right.

Keep on posting D.

Friend,

It was difficult for me to read your post. i did not understand it.
    I apologize for my lacking in understanding your meaning.
    I have never considered myself to be the smartest person in the room.
    I am just trying to be a help to others along, "The Way".

Thank you for your patience with me,
    D:cool:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Once upon a time, Germany was forcing the switch in the early naughts, and put out the guidance. Apparently, the DM hold outs won the day.

I think the 30 yr D-Mark bonds along with the PIIGS in the EU were more influential to keeping the native currency alive.

ThePirate

May 26, 2010
    Ringgold area
    Leave the country?

Cash is pretty much worthless in the scenario you are speaking about. In a situation where the gov't has lost control and anarchy ensues, cash is worthless paper. Gold or silver coins have value, but the gov't has already mandated that you have to declare those precious metals to go through Customs. If you try to leave the country, good luck taking those coins with you. If you somehow escape with gold or silver, it is fairly easy to exchange for currency in your country of exile.

The other currency that has potential is cryptocurrency, like Bitcoin. It isn't gov't dependent and you don't have to physically carry anything with you when you flee the country. If you can get out of the country, you can exchange your Bitcoin for cash in the country you enter.

So I would recommend enough precious metal to survive a short period and get you out of the country, then enough cryptocurrency to settle in another country. My good friend's parents fled Lebanon's civil war in the late 80's. I think they landed in the US with $6000 cash. They managed to make due with $6000 plus the cost of a flight for 4 people.

If the Gov. has lost control you aren't going be able to leave the country and why would you want to leave. You will be better off here with 45% of the worlds firearms at your disposal. The net will be down as well so you won't have access to any on line funny money. And do you really think that "Uncle" doesn't know where the online money is located.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I didn't read all 16 pages of comments but the reasons I keep a stash of cash at home is:

1. Spur of the moment tuna trips to NC that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    2. Spur of the moment gun purchases that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    3. Bar tabs that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    4. Spur of the moment fishing gear purchases that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    5. Gun show trips that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    and
    on
    and
    on
    and
    on

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I didn't read all 16 pages of comments but the reasons I keep a stash of cash at home is:

1. Spur of the moment tuna trips to NC that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    2. Spur of the moment gun purchases that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    3. Bar tabs that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    4. Spur of the moment fishing gear purchases that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    5. Gun show trips that I don't want the wife to know the true cost of
    and
    on
    and
    on
    and
    on

Does your wife have the same strategy for Clothing, Shoes and Makeup and entertainment purchases?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom