• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not sure how to interpret post #35 , did you get it sighted in ?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Buuut, given that, it's all still theoretical, at this point. No matter the theorem applied, he still needs real world application to confirm his settings. He can't get that off the interweb.
    It's not that complicated. If you want to zero at 100 yards, you need to shoot from 100 yards. he needs to find someplace in which to do that.

That is easier.

But not required.

Even the military uses a reduced range zero, instead of shooting at long ranges.

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    Just put a Vortex crossfire on an AR I had scoped last week. Talking to people at shows it's the way to go with aging eyes. :whoa: Scope is zeroed at 100yds. Put a bore sight tool in I picked up at show and focused on a picture in living room from end of hall, which is about 30ft. Had rifle benched so would not move. The bore sight was about 2" lower than crosshairs on scope. Dead on windage. Now I knew about where I was. So popped quick disconnect on scope and removed. Put red dot on and damn, it was right on. Right where the scope crosshairs were. Did click down a couple of clicks to get it closer to 60 yds. Haven't shot with it yet but I like it. Sorry if I hijacked thread. Carry on. :patriot:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That is easier.

But not required.

Even the military uses a reduced range zero, instead of shooting at long ranges.
    I have encountered many 'new to optics' shooters, who after multiple trips to the range and sometimes hours of dialing and redialing, have no idea which way is up. In many cases, with most factory set scopes, they are often times able to hit paper at 25 yds. right out of the box.
    Sometimes it's better to start from scratch. No need to crawl deeper into the weeds.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have encountered many 'new to optics' shooters, who after multiple trips to the range and sometimes hours of dialing and redialing, have no idea which way is up. In many cases, with most factory set scopes, they are often times able to hit paper at 25 yds. right out of the box.
    Sometimes it's better to start from scratch. No need to crawl deeper into the weeds.

Not disagreeing.

And many have NO idea how to zero at all.

The bore sight, one round at 25, then adjust reticle or dot to the hole, IMO works best. No thinking about how many clicks in which direction. While looking through the scope, it is obvious when you turn it the wrong way. Only hard part is making sure the rifle does not move.

It does get more complicated when you only have a range X long or with specific firing distances, but want to zero for some other range. But not that much. You just have to know/find the trajectory for your round.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think what my create confusion for some people is that when looking at trajectory charts, line of departure and line of sight become blurred. Charts that depict both the target and the rifle are often exaggerated by having the muzzle angle grossly represented in a way that that trajectory crosses line of sight, but line of departure is not taken in account.
    The bullet will never be higher than line of departure from the barrel along its entire range of travel/flight to the target.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Last month I helped a friend sight in his new Ruger 9mm carbine with a Holosun red dot. We shot it off a bench. What confused me was that the Holosun gave directions for turning the knobs to move the dot. My Aimpoint red dots show the direction to move the bullet impact. I only care about which way to move the bullet impact. All my scopes and iron sights show the direction to turn the knobs to "move bullet impact". So, I think it is nuts for Holosun to show which way to turn the knobs to move the dot which is opposite to bullet impact. Could this have been a reason for your difficulty in getting your Holosun sighted in?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Last month I helped a friend sight in his new Ruger 9mm carbine with a Holosun red dot. We shot it off a bench. What confused me was that the Holosun gave directions for turning the knobs to move the dot. My Aimpoint red dots show the direction to move the bullet impact. I only care about which way to move the bullet impact. All my scopes and iron sights show the direction to turn the knobs to "move bullet impact". So, I think it is nuts for Holosun to show which way to turn the knobs to move the dot which is opposite to bullet impact. Could this have been a reason for your difficulty in getting your Holosun sighted in?

That was it, reverse of other manufacturers. Figured it out though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

This is why I like the method of moving the dot from center to the actual impact, without moving the firearm.

No figuring which way to turn. If you turn, and the dot moves away from the impact, turn it the other way.

Also no MOA versus inches per click, just turn until it is over the impact hole.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    This is why I like the method of moving the dot from center to the actual impact, without moving the firearm.

No figuring which way to turn. If you turn, and the dot moves away from the impact, turn it the other way.

Also no MOA versus inches per click, just turn until it is over the impact hole.

When you are shooting a match and need to make a sight adjustment, you don't have the luxury of shooting from the bench. I guess that I am old school from shooting matches.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When you are shooting a match and need to make a sight adjustment, you don't have the luxury of shooting from the bench. I guess that I am old school from shooting matches.

Apples to oranges.

I am talking about zeroing.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    One thing people forget is that astigmatism is an eye defect. As such the defect is the same size in your vision regardless. So if your defect is about the size of a 2 MOA dot no amount of color change is going to affect how you see that dot if its still 2 MOA. It will look as big as the dot no matter what. On the other hand the defect never changes size while you can get a sight with a larger dot. I have astigmatism as a competition shooter and I shoot about 75% of my firearms with red dots. All I did to make sure the astigmatism did not interfere with my shooting is I went to red dots sights with larger MOA dots. The smallest dot I use is rated 8 MOA by the maker, and for speed shooting I go as high as 12-16 MOA. Then I don't see any astigmatism. Simple as that.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I find my dot is off in a match I just calculate the offset and aim at that point. I have done it numerous times over my 12 years of shooting matches. I learned that from multiple world champ KC Eusebio.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    The combo of green dot, polarized shooting glasses and Eye Doctor revisiting my prescription did help but I needed up with a 2 MOA dot not zeroing past 75 yards. So I get your point and and I did not know at the time I researched these about the astigmatism issue. Kind of wondering if I should have not just gone with 1 -4 LVPO scope for the lever action since I'm not really worried past 100 yards anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom