• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m glad you guys found it useful. I would like to scrub the video but I have to work tomorrow now so I may not get to it until Sunday. Once it’s up I’ll send you all the link.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Great class. Sorry to exit without saying thanks then but thank you.

One question: how do you load the plug (or anyone’s) you gave us? Can’t get CHIRP to acres the file. Maybe a Mac thing? Planning to try on Windows too,

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks again. Really enjoyed the class. I've downloaded all the supporting files you posted as well. Really appreciate having the additional information to look through later.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Excellent on the idea of recording it!

Got out of work late and missed it.

Will look forwrd to seeing the recording!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Couldn't make the class so didn't sign up. Would be interested in reviewing the class materials however.

Any possibility of getting a link to the documents?

I think ToolAA is going to put up a link once the recording is fine tuned.

Q

I'm going to need the recording myself. That way I will be able to pause it and wrap my brain around what I'm doing before moving on to the next step. To say I'm not tech savvy would be an understatement.
    Thanks for holding the class.

Sums up my thoughts.

Thanks Tool for your work. You are doing a service with the educational get togethers. "Advanced Learning for MDS Dummies" luckily that is only 3% of us. :)

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    ToolAA: The class was nothing short of excellent! Thank you so much.

All: someone asked about "what antenna." This might be useful. He does a comparison of 5 antennas in "crappy" areas (suburban area with lots of houses) with varying distances between radios.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    For anyone using the BF-R3.

I found a work around in Chirp, select "Radioddity UV-5RX" and everything seems to work.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

One question: how do you load the plug (or anyone’s) you gave us? Can’t get CHIRP to acres the file. Maybe a Mac thing? Planning to try on Windows too,

I’m at a total loss as to how Macs work. Fidelity uses a mac. I don’t know if he has tried to open the code plug I shared in the clas folder.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

What is the error? The more recent operating systems prevent unsigned apps from accessing a bunch of directories including Desktop and Downloads. I have onedrive with the file sync, moved everything there and CHIRP was able to see them.

I get OSs wanting to protect folks from the dirt bags, but I work in IT and couldn't find an easy way to exempt CHIRP from the file system block. "Apple knows better than you" crap.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... couldn't find an easy way to exempt CHIRP from the file system block. "Apple knows better than you" crap.

Haven't played with Chirp today (so can't address Shootin the Breeze's issue), but if just a launcher question above (it might not be and you are simply talking about Chirp not be able to pull files from some locations, so apologies if I misunderstand), yes, double-clicking Chirp is blocked from opening depending on your security settings. But one can work around with a control click, which gives a dialog with an "open" option.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Haven't played with Chirp today (so can't address Shootin the Breeze's issue), but if just a launcher question above (it might not be and you are simply talking about Chirp not be able to pull files from some locations, so apologies if I misunderstand), yes, double-clicking Chirp is blocked from opening depending on your security settings. But one can work around with a control click, which gives a dialog with an "open" option.

That has been working for me since the inception of the application restriction in the OS.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    But then buy a Wouxon 805 instead. The Wouxie is just a better radio. In comparison, the Midlands are a hobbed horse.

ETA: if you apply to the FCC for your GMRS license this weekend, you will probably be granted before Tuesday afternoon.

For my Friday afternoon application, they were pretty quick. Got the license this morn. :)

Moreover, mine incorporates RKB in the call sign. So cool.

Thanks for your tips on which radios to check out!

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

Yes, I was talking about chirp having access to open the files. Now I see your problem.

Since it's not "signed" (a cert is added by a developer who paid Apple for the the certificate), the first time you open it, you have to right-click (or control-click) and select open. You'll get a warning it wasn't signed and click "open" on the warning. After that first time, you can just double-click like normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom