• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Ah sorry to hear it. I too have been crossing my fingers. They are really nice folks and do have a lot of talent. I think the cross-caliber part might be one of the big speedbumps in terms of materials and process etc. But I get they wanted to reach a broad market with 8mm Kurz being not exactly a Walmart round. I hope it comes throgh! Would love to see a range report as much as you'd like to write one. :D

One thing I haven't seen is what different magazine look like. I'd probably base what caliber I got to what looked closes to original mags. As shallow and hipster-like as that is.

Last thing I heard was all the magazines would look the same externally. The internal dimensions would be different depending on caliber. Made from some kind of polymer like Magpul magazines.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Last thing I heard was all the magazines would look the same externally. The internal dimensions would be different depending on caliber. Made from some kind of polymer like Magpul magazines.

Ok, very cool. I was going to say, I'd hate to stuff an AK mag into it...that would be sacrilege. Like an AR mag in an AK...:innocent0

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Ok, very cool. I was going to say, I'd hate to stuff an AK mag into it...that would be sacrilege. Like an AR mag in an AK...:innocent0

Yeah, the magazines should look pretty close to an original StG 44 magazine. I saw a 3D printed prototype at the DFW NRA show in 2019. With my limited experience with original rifles, it looked fairly close to me, cosmetically anyway. One of the cool things, because the magazines are Stanag, if you get a magazine designed for 5.56, it will hold 50 rounds due to the larger exterior dimension requirement. This means that you could put a 50 round magazine, that looks like a StG 44 magazine in your AR15. Got to hold a complete rifle at that time also. It all looked real nice and on track back then. There hasn't been much news in a while.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    This is what I heard....

“Mac still thinks he's doing an update each week, but they just don't connect the computer to the internet any more.

I found out the truth from <redacted> today and it is stranger than fiction. Apparently Mac started acting somewhat erratic about 18 months ago and it culminated in him announcing last year in August that the STG would be shipping in a couple of weeks.

It turns out that Mac had a nervous breakdown. He continues to live in a fantasy world where the STG project is still on-going, progress is being made and work is being done on a regular basis.

The reality is that Hill, having an actual modicum of business acumen cancelled all work on the HMG project 16 months ago.

On the advice of his Dr. and in order to not upset Mac, Hill and the other HMG employees chose not to tell him about the cancellation of the project.

They give him some fake paperwork every once in a while, tear down some "built" prototypes so Mac can reassemble them again, and move the parts bins around in the warehouse to make it seem like things are changing and progressing.

So it was either let Mac keep giving "updates" that don't provide any information about the STG since Hill killed the project over a year ago or go dark.

To their credit, if you call and ask for <redacted>, he'll explain everything and provide a refund. But if you talk to Mac, expect to hear how the rifle will be ramped up into production any day now.”

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    damn. Was looking to do a Kurz caliber. If it is going to be heavy like the .22LR version, might as well go proper caliber. too heavy for .22LR if you as me. I know different company.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    This is what I heard....

“Mac still thinks he's doing an update each week, but they just don't connect the computer to the internet any more.

I found out the truth from <redacted> today and it is stranger than fiction. Apparently Mac started acting somewhat erratic about 18 months ago and it culminated in him announcing last year in August that the STG would be shipping in a couple of weeks.

It turns out that Mac had a nervous breakdown. He continues to live in a fantasy world where the STG project is still on-going, progress is being made and work is being done on a regular basis.

The reality is that Hill, having an actual modicum of business acumen cancelled all work on the HMG project 16 months ago.

On the advice of his Dr. and in order to not upset Mac, Hill and the other HMG employees chose not to tell him about the cancellation of the project.

They give him some fake paperwork every once in a while, tear down some "built" prototypes so Mac can reassemble them again, and move the parts bins around in the warehouse to make it seem like things are changing and progressing.

So it was either let Mac keep giving "updates" that don't provide any information about the STG since Hill killed the project over a year ago or go dark.

To their credit, if you call and ask for <redacted>, he'll explain everything and provide a refund. But if you talk to Mac, expect to hear how the rifle will be ramped up into production any day now.”

Thats wild. I dont see how it could be healthy to let someone continue to believe something false just to avoid upsetting a crazy person temporarily. He will find out eventually and they will have the mess then.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Thats wild. I dont see how it could be healthy to let someone continue to believe something false just to avoid upsetting a crazy person temporarily. He will find out eventually and they will have the mess then.

“We fixed, the glitch”. Reminiscent of Office Space isn’t it? Wild indeed! I wonder if that is a forum prank tho....originating in the Mos Eisely of gun forums.

Thanks for the info about mags, that is crazy! I’ve seen guys use the 3D printers at work, really cool! I’m trying to get then to make me some movie props, and a Stuka siren for my kid’s bigwheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    “We fixed, the glitch”. Reminiscent of Office Space isn’t it? Wild indeed! I wonder if that is a forum prank tho....originating in the Mos Eisely of gun forums.

Thanks for the info about mags, that is crazy! I’ve seen guys use the 3D printers at work, really cool! I’m trying to get then to make me some movie props, and a Stuka siren for my kid’s bigwheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The prototype was 3D printed but the production magazines are supposed to be injection molded. HMG was using the mold makers as the most recent excuse for not being able to make schedule.

Last time I heard anything was (IIRC) last November. At that time they were promising shipping by Christmas. Here we are and no new information.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    This is what I heard....

A few members here and I made a deal with Hill and Mac on the CETME L. It was a disaster from start to finish. After the run around forever, we got a refund but lost out on some surplus product during that time! In the end instead of saving a few hundred, it cost me a few hundred. Thank God we got the refund when we did. Seeing this BS... got get as much of your money back as quick as you can. If by some miracle, this actually ever sells, buy one then.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    For what it's worth. There has been some talk around the other forums that HMG has gone completely belly up and has just not told anyone. As an experiment, I ordered a morale patch off their web site. It took ten days but I got it, and it was on a HMG letterhead order sheet. Not saying it will happen and I may be living in naive hope, but that has to be at least a small good sign.

Last edited:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    This is much like the attempt to reproduce the Merwin and Hulbert revolvers a few years ago. The company took deposits and promised guns to be shipped, but after 3-4 years refunded all deposits with no guns produced.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    This is much like the attempt to reproduce the Merwin and Hulbert revolvers a few years ago. The company took deposits and promised guns to be shipped, but after 3-4 years refunded all deposits with no guns produced.

I went through this same thing with Ares Defense, now Fightlite, with the Shrike (MCR) belt fed AR15 upper. It took 13 years to get mine, but it finally did happen. There was a huge amount of negativity on the internet back then, same as there is now about HMG.

Attachments

• 20180212_124128.12.1.jpg
      20180212_124128.12.1.jpg
      96.1 KB · Views: 909
    • 20200604_130156.1.jpg
      20200604_130156.1.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 797
    • 20200604_130243.1.jpg
      20200604_130243.1.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 804

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas

June 2020 update...

As many of you know, Hill and Mac Gunworks is working towards releasing the HMG StG 44. In an effort to bring this rifle to its customers, HMG has utilized a number of suppliers to help with the scope of this large project and perform processes and tasks that HMG is unable to do in house or at a larger volume than HMG can provide. At the current time, HMG is involved in a dispute with one of these suppliers and is working diligently to resolve the issue.

What does this mean for the HMG StG? HMG is still and always has been, 100% dedicated to deliver the rifles to our customers who have been patiently waiting. HMG is working around the clock in the areas we are able to in order to make the release of the StG as smooth as possible when this matter is resolved. Below you can find some links to some beautiful slow motion footage of one of the production rifles that HMG has been testing.

https://youtu.be/UoRzy4T2aQw

In the meantime, we understand that this dispute might make our customers apprehensive or upset. As has always been our policy, we offer refunds on request with no questions asked, and we will continue to do so. We have also planned out some future projects that are similar to other reproduction rifles we have produced (such as the CETME-L), that we think will be an extremely interesting addition to our line of products. We would be more than happy to transfer any deposits placed for the HMG StG to another product that is available to ship.

In closing, we couldn’t do what we’re doing without the support of our customers, and we truly appreciate the patience and faith that we have been given. It is our intention to do everything we can to quickly resolve this dispute and get the production of the HMG StG in order and deliver this awesome rifle to customers so they can experience a bit of history.

If you have any questions or concerns in the meantime, please feel free to email info@hmgunworks.com, and we would be happy to assist however we can.

We hope you are staying safe through this turbulent year, and look forward to bringing the HMG StG to the public!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    What Really Happened to the Hill & Mac Gunworks Sturmgewehr.

Interesting article...

https://medium.com/@tanieltwoshot/w...he-hill-mac-gunworks-sturmgewehr-9d1074cac75e

Well if thats true, it does not sound like they even have someone to build the gun yet! I would get my refund asap! I don't understand why they would not keep people posted and let their reputation be destroyed. I would never order from them again and its actually for another failed delivery unrelated to the STG...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I would still like one in Kurz 7.92x33 (8mm). I have seen the .22 versions from other people and love the looks.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I don't know if anyone is still interested in these guys but I thought I would look into it today.

Here is the web site that shows legal activity.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/17251782/hill-mac-gunworks-llc-v-true-position-inc/

Maybe someone with some experience with the law could explain it to me in common terms but my take away is that it appears that they are still working on it.

The last update is dated 20NOV20.

Most of the recent stuff seems to be that the defendants are requesting more documents. Seems like they're trying to wiggle their way out of Hill & Mac suing them into oblivion. They're combing contracts for ANYTHING that could save their butts with the sheer amount of document requests they have going on.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Most of the recent stuff seems to be that the defendants are requesting more documents. Seems like they're trying to wiggle their way out of Hill & Mac suing them into oblivion. They're combing contracts for ANYTHING that could save their butts with the sheer amount of document requests they have going on.

OK, at least HMG is still in business. That's not a lot of hope to hang a hat on, but all is not lost.

Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom