• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have never even owned a generator, so this may be a stupid question. I know someone here in the brain trust will have answers.

Is there a way to get a generator that can be wired in to power a well pump, and septic pump? To use them as needed?

How would you go about doing this? I'm really only familiar with the small generators that you can plug one or two things into.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Well pumps are usually 240 volt. Most small generators are 120 volt.

When I first moved out here with a well, I got a 120 volt to 240 volt step-up transformer so I could use the well pump.

Then I changed its hard-wiring so it plugged into a 240 volt outlet by the pump wiring in the basement.

When the power was on, it was plugged into the outlet powering the well pump as before.

When the power failed, I unplugged it and plugged it into the step-up transformer that was plugged into the little generator.

I suspect most sump pumps are 120 volt so that should not be a problem.

Not a great solution but it's what you have to do if you want to use a small generator.

Eventually I got a bigger generator and now have a whole house generator so I don't have to do anything.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    See what your wattage requirements are (convert if necessary) choose a genny that can handle what you're going to be throwing at it, purchase, and have a certified, licensed, and insured electrician put in the transfer switch and sub pannel for you.

Word to the wise, your sump/ejector pump likely won't pull a ton of amps, but well pumps can really be a big drain on power during startup (startup requires more amperage than the actual running) so you may need to turn some things off before turning on the faucet to prevent an overload.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Absolutely. I am not an electrician, and HIGHLY recommend getting one to do the install, as there are several ways to do it incorrectly and the consequences are not trivial. I have very limited experience with the septic pumps, they are not very common in my area, usually see them near waterfront.

The safest bet is to use a proper transfer switch with a built in load center. It will act as a sub panel to your main panel and can switch between generator power and mains, and you can have whatever circuits you like (that can fit) wired into the load center.

There are cheaper options, but I would rather you heard about those from an electrician directly, as there are various ways for user error to cause a serious problem, and each setup is going to be a little different.

I have held a MD Home Inspectors License for a couple years and qualify for a Home Improvement Contractors license, so while I am not an electrician, I have seen quite a few setups.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The interlock is the way to go if you just want to plug a portable generator in for the rare occurrence where you need to power that well pump.

Get an electrician to wire up the external box and breaker, then add the Interlock kit to your panel:

https://www.interlockkit.com

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    See what your wattage requirements are (convert if necessary) choose a genny that can handle what you're going to be throwing at it, purchase, and have a certified, licensed, and insured electrician put in the transfer switch and sub pannel for you.

Word to the wise, your sump/ejector pump likely won't pull a ton of amps, but well pumps can really be a big drain on power during startup (startup requires more amperage than the actual running) so you may need to turn some things off before turning on the faucet to prevent an overload.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be that easy to time it out, as opening a faucet doesnt run the well pump. The pressure tank needs to fall below a certain pressure to signal the well pump to start. Otherwise, very good info.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have never even owned a generator, so this may be a stupid question. I know someone here in the brain trust will have answers.

Is there a way to get a generator that can be wired in to power a well pump, and septic pump? To use them as needed?

How would you go about doing this? I'm really only familiar with the small generators that you can plug one or two things into.

By code you need a transfer switch preventing back feeding to the grid so people do not get killed. The transfer switch should be sized to what you want to power.
    Follow the link to get an idea https://tinyurl.com/yxrofqfd

Your generator needs to be sized 10% higher than your max load. Max load is the total amperage need to service the equipment. MAX load is calculated in watts/Kw. To figure out what you need use the following formula. (volts x Amps = Watts) 1000 watts = 1Kw. Look at your breakers in your panel for the equipment use the breaker size at the Amps. Also, make sure your generator makes clean power equal to the electric company. People often make that mistake and end up frying their refrigerators and electronics.

I have a 14Kw Portable Generac generator makes clean power and steady 60hz power. I have had it for 10 years it has been a life saver, I can run my AC too.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I looked into this at my previous house which had a 3/4 hp well pump.

My conclusion was I needed to add a capacitor starter to the pump. I never got that far before we sold the house. You don't want that sudden surge going to your generator. Hire an electrical engineer to get a capacitor added to your pump. That will help with the start up amperage of that pump.

Another option is to just not depend on your well pump when power is out. Have bottled drinking water and also water captured from downspouts to fill a tank. Then maybe have a spout from that to fill a toilet reservoir. Put everything else that doesn't need a high starting draw on the interlock system previously recommended. This eliminates problems with the capacitor and high stress on the generator due to start up draw.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Definitely have it installed by a licensed electrician and have it inspected. While that adds some costs for the permits it could save you in the long run. If it's installed on the cheap and there's a fire your insurance company could deny coverage if it's not done to code and inspected.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    It sounds like the only solution that won't be very expensive is to just not use the well or the septic until the power comes back on.

Stock up on water and shit buckets.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    It sounds like the only solution that won't be very expensive is to just not use the well or the septic until the power comes back on.

So you have lost power to them or the whole panel? You could temporary take the breakers and pop them out to the well and septic pump. Take wires out of breaker panel and temporary extend wires long enough to go out to generator. Simply install the correct plug onto end of wires. If one is 115VAC then put that plug onto it and plug into generator. If well pump IS 208/230VAC then install proper twist lock plug that connects into your generator 230VAC plug. Run generator. That would be easiest for a temporary fix till you get power restored. You can do a permanent proper job later with a transfer box and subpanel.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD

Not really. See below. I had an interlock and a suicide cord installed by an electrician at my previous house. I bought a decent generator from Costco.
    The interlock is the way to go if you just want to plug a portable generator in for the rare occurrence where you need to power that well pump.

Get an electrician to wire up the external box and breaker, then add the Interlock kit to your panel:

https://www.interlockkit.com

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Not really. See below. I had an interlock and a suicide cord installed by an electrician at my previous house. I bought a decent generator from Costco.

No need for suicide cord if you use the correct exterior box. We have a male
    connector box so that we can use a standard cord.

It's so simple a set up that people question whether it is legit. I have a county inspection sticker that signed off on it.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    The interlock is a good option so long as your panel will support one.

I paid about $1500 7 years ago to have a local place come out and do a new panel, new meter base and interlock setup. The original panel to the house was an obsolete brand (Wadsworth) with so many things wrong about it I was more than happy to get rid of it.

Turn off the branch circuits, turn off the main breaker (old panel did not have one!), slide the interlock thing over and flip on the back feed breaker that is being fed via the 30 amp twist lock mounted on the outside.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

It doesn't have to be expensive if you're comfortable wiring the panel.

Reliance makes a transfer kit for generators

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200702787_200702787

If you're handy with electricals, you can do this yourself.

You'll have to pick which circuits can be powered by your Genny. Generally, the choice is straight forward. Essentials first: heat (hvac if you've a big Genny), water heater, sump pump, well pump, sewer pump, fridge, freezer

That's the basics. The rest are for comfort and convenience: lights, tv, internet, beer keg.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013

I paid about $1500 7 years ago to have a local place come out and do a new panel, new meter base and interlock setup. The original panel to the house was an obsolete brand (Wadsworth) with so many things wrong about it I was more than happy to get rid of it.

Turn off the branch circuits, turn off the main breaker (old panel did not have one!), slide the interlock thing over and flip on the back feed breaker that is being fed via the 30 amp twist lock mounted on the outside.

if you had a proper switch gear installed there's no need to turn off branch circuits and main breaker. you got jacked.
    normal switch gear have line generator and off breaker positions. and are set up so you can't backfeed.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020

Nothing wrong that I have heard with a Wadsworth Panel, besides being dated. Sounds like you had a split bus panel with no main disconnect. See them all the time. Still works, still meets code as far as i know. Maybe had other things wrong with it. Surely better than a Stab-lok

if you had a proper switch gear installed there's no need to turn off branch circuits and main breaker. you got jacked.
    normal switch gear have line generator and off breaker positions. and are set up so you can't backfeed.

He didnt get a transfer switch. He said he got a new panel and new meter base, and an interlock installed. Sounds like a decent price for that work.

I have still never seen an interlock in the wild, but then, Its been a few years since I did paid home inspections, and I have a generac automatic switchgear lying around here somewhere if I ever decide to wire up the generator I have.

I shy away from talking about suicide cords in this context, for obvious reasons.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    As long as you are intelligent enough to always remember to turn the main off first, a run of 8/4 Romex with male cord caps on both ends, will work if cheap is the route that you wanna take. One end to match the 240 plug on one end and the other to match your dryer receptacle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom