• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Anyone here have one of these in a magnum caliber? It can be a gen 1, 2, or utility model. I'm just wondering what the recoil is like on an inexpensive magnum rifle. Love the rifle? Hate it? Wish you never heard the name Thompson Center?

I'm looking at possibly getting a 300 win mag bolt action and want to spend less than $1K on it. I want to go cheap in case I hate the caliber, if I like it I'll plan to buy a better rifle in the future.

The Compass seems to be the cheapest but also similar in weight to a more expensive Bergara and about a pound lighter than the much more expensive Weatherby Mark V (all without an optic). Not committed to the Compass, it just seems to be available so I figured I'd ask if anyone had experience with magnum calibers in it.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I have a 7-08 TC Compass.. having a hard time getting it to shoot anything well except a hand load with 140 gr. Partition shooting minimum powder load. I’m a n00b but I think my free bore is crazy long.

I have heard excellent results. But I think the low price can sometimes reflect a lower QC, which may explain my poorly cut bore.

So. You will probably have good results. Maybe you get a fluke though.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Anyone here have one of these in a magnum caliber? It can be a gen 1, 2, or utility model. I'm just wondering what the recoil is like on an inexpensive magnum rifle. Love the rifle? Hate it? Wish you never heard the name Thompson Center?

I'm looking at possibly getting a 300 win mag bolt action and want to spend less than $1K on it. I want to go cheap in case I hate the caliber, if I like it I'll plan to buy a better rifle in the future.

The Compass seems to be the cheapest but also similar in weight to a more expensive Bergara and about a pound lighter than the much more expensive Weatherby Mark V (all without an optic). Not committed to the Compass, it just seems to be available so I figured I'd ask if anyone had experience with magnum calibers in it.

I have an AB3 in 7mm that I picked up cheap and its a good hunting rifle.
    It's a composite stalker, 26" barrel 7lbs prolly 8+ with scope and sling.
    Recoil is more than manageable with 140-50's (wife and daughter bench shoot it) and even with some 175's I loaded years ago for another rifle its a decent performer for what I paid for it.

I don't know how it stacks up price-wise vs the other rifles you described.
    Its not a fancy rifle (lots of plastic) but good for hunting in not so favorable conditions or for a lender/back up.
    I cant complain for what it is.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

“Lightweight” rifle and 300 Win Mag don’t go hand in hand. I promise you that you will hate shooting that rifle, unless you have a very good muzzle brake, or really dislike your shoulder joint.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have a 7-08 TC Compass.. having a hard time getting it to shoot anything well except a hand load with 140 gr. Partition shooting minimum powder load. I’m a n00b but I think my free bore is crazy long.

I have heard excellent results. But I think the low price can sometimes reflect a lower QC, which may explain my poorly cut bore.

So. You will probably have good results. Maybe you get a fluke though.
    “Lower price” rifles don’t always have low QC, just lower quality components. Most likely the rotten accuracy is due to the cheap plastic fore-end making contact with the barrel, messing with the barrel’s harmonics. Try the dollar bill test to see if your stock is pinched against the barrel. Try squeezing the fore-end with your support hand to see if you induce the contact during the shot. Most inaccuracies with the cheaper rifles is due to this factor. The T/C Compass has a pretty decent reputation for accuracy in its relatively short lifespan, I’d first investigate the lack of free-floating for any accuracy issues. You’re a self-proclaimed noob, so secondly I’d make sure your fundamentals of marksmanship are on point. Maybe have a more experienced rifle shooter take her for a spin before you lose trust in your T/C. Best of luck.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    “Lower price” rifles don’t always have low QC, just lower quality components. Most likely the rotten accuracy is due to the cheap plastic fore-end making contact with the barrel, messing with the barrel’s harmonics. Try the dollar bill test to see if your stock is pinched against the barrel. Try squeezing the fore-end with your support hand to see if you induce the contact during the shot. Most inaccuracies with the cheaper rifles is due to this factor. The T/C Compass has a pretty decent reputation for accuracy in its relatively short lifespan, I’d first investigate the lack of free-floating for any accuracy issues. You’re a self-proclaimed noob, so secondly I’d make sure your fundamentals of marksmanship are on point. Maybe have a more experienced rifle shooter take her for a spin before you lose trust in your T/C. Best of luck.

I’m a decent shot, see the picture, that was 300 yards with my savage .308 the other week. Granted, I don’t shoot like that with 100% consistency, but I always keep that rifle sub MOA. There is something with this TC Compass.
    I tried to JB Weld bed the action, inspect for any issues I could find, etc.

I did a free bore test and found that a 139 SST didn’t contact the rifling til it was wayyyyyyy far past the max COAL. I sent it back to TC, they said all was well. I’ve tried so many different brands of ammo and 3 scopes, I’ve tried to let it cool between strings, etc.

Honestly, my next step is going to be a Boyd’s stock and cryo treat the barrel. I’m going to take both steps independently to test shoot the rifle after each measure.

I know it makes more sense to buy something else and yes it is a $300 rifle but I’ll be damned if I let it beat me.

Attachments

• 4C2A0514-C0E7-4712-A471-1D948A2AA9CF.jpg
      4C2A0514-C0E7-4712-A471-1D948A2AA9CF.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 165

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Thanks all, I think I’m going to just get the 6.5 Compass for now and invest in a better 300 Win Mag in the future. The higher end Bergara’s look nice and I can just pick up a box or two of ammo here and there to start stocking up since I know I do want the caliber.

My plan was to possibly buy a Compass in each caliber, but I realized that even though Win Mag ammo seems to be more available at the moment, I already have access to everything tool wise to reload 6.5. Well, I have the press and my brother has the caliber specific parts.

The 6.5 Compass is $426 out the door, I already have a scope and rings at home that can go on it (the 300 WinMag would have been $600 because I can’t find a Compass that isn’t the scoped model), that leaves me $574 from my $1K for finding ammo and components.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks all, I think I’m going to just get the 6.5 Compass for now and invest in a better 300 Win Mag in the future. The higher end Bergara’s look nice and I can just pick up a box or two of ammo here and there to start stocking up since I know I do want the caliber.

My plan was to possibly buy a Compass in each caliber, but I realized that even though Win Mag ammo seems to be more available at the moment, I already have access to everything tool wise to reload 6.5. Well, I have the press and my brother has the caliber specific parts.

The 6.5 Compass is $426 out the door, I already have a scope and rings at home that can go on it (the 300 WinMag would have been $600 because I can’t find a Compass that isn’t the scoped model), that leaves me $574 from my $1K for finding ammo and components.

Your shoulder will thank you. So will your wallet. And perhaps so will your eyes, when you can put your savings toward better glass than what you usually get with the package deals.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

FWIW - I just received the Oryx chassis for a T/C Compass in .308. Unfortunately, I haven't been out to shoot it with the new chassis yet - might be worth a look in addition to the the Boyd's. Oryx had a "Blem" sale but looks like it was only a "Black Friday" event - maybe end of year sale again?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't have one , but always heard good things about the Compass .

A light weight .300 Magnum is subject to the laws of physics . Felt recoil is subjective , and stock fit ( to the shooter) is significant .

I won't catagorically say to not get one . but have your eyes open about the tradeoffs and your priorities . And the calculus is changed with a muzzlebreak , but provides its own set of tradeoffs .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a Compass in 30-06. Recoil is on par with other wood stock similar sized rifles, similar chambered rifles. For anything in 300 Win Mag/Weatherby class I would opt for better stocked rifle.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Ordered the Compass II in 6.5 Creedmoor on 12/9, it finally showed up Monday afternoon and I had time to pick it up this morning. The bolt seems to be a bit stiff, but I haven't had a chance to clean and lubricate it. I'm a bit surprised it has a cheek rest on the left side of the stock, I didn't see it in any reviews or photos, most were from the right side I guess since the bolt handle is there. I will be buying an Oryx chassis for it so I can use AICS magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom