• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Oct 5, 2012
    I actually end up driving past the Tackle Box a couple times a month. I may just have to pop in because one is never enough!

Squib

Oct 5, 2012
    Here's something that just occurred to me - aside from the thorough cleaning, what else should I do before I shoot it the first time? Have a professional give it a once over to make sure nothing is going to blow up in my face?

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Here's something that just occurred to me - aside from the thorough cleaning, what else should I do before I shoot it the first time? Have a professional give it a once over to make sure nothing is going to blow up in my face?

You can try RGuns online, that sell M91-30's with turn down bolts. BTW... they sell the cheapest 7.62X54 corrosive ammo around.
    Gun shows are the best. Look for one... that has 2 pre-drilled plugged holes in the left side of the reciever, meaning it was a former sniper. If not...you can try Duffy's Gun Room on Falls Road.

You should always perform a drop test with your Mosin; before you shoot it.
    That is...cock your unloaded Mosin, with the safety off --- hold the rifle vertically with your hand on the forearm --- about one foot above the carpeted floor and slam the butt of the stock --- with a reasonable force on the floor. It should not go off {trip the sear}; though if you do it hard enough --- all of the Mosins might go off. If it goes off easily... someone has polished the trigger spring; a bit too much. Order a new trigger spring from Numrich gun parts.

When shooting your Mosin...make sure that you have a smooth feed of the round into the chamber. If the round jams before entering the chamber --- do not force the issue --- if you do force the issue, the round could be pointed downward towards the magazine; and the bolt could possibly ignite the primer without your finger pressing on the trigger --- thus sending the bullet thru the magazine and forearm. I heard it happened to a former RSO at AGC --- that had a bullet pass thru his hand --- while he was holding the Mosin.

It wouldn't hurt...to have a gunsmith check-out and headspace the gun. Gives you a peace of mind --- and I'm sure the gunsmith's at Duffy's, can check it out for you.

Last edited:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You can try RGuns online, that sell M91-30's with turn down bolts. BTW... they sell the cheapest 7.62X54 corrosive ammo around.
    Gun shows are the best. Look for one... that has 2 pre-drilled plugged holes in the left side of the reciever, meaning it was a former sniper. If not...you can try Duffys Gun Room on Falls Road.

You should always perform a drop test with your Mosin; before you shoot it.
    That is...cock your unloaded Mosin, with the safety off --- hold the rifle vertically with your hand on the forearm --- about one foot above the carpeted floor and slam the butt of the stock --- with a reasonable force on the floor. It should not go off {trip the sear}; though if you do it hard enough --- all of the Mosins might go off. If it goes off easily... someone has polished the trigger spring; a bit too much. Order a new trigger spring from Numrich gun parts.

When shooting your Mosin...make sure that you have a smooth feed of the round into the chamber. If the round jams before entering the chamber --- do not force the issue --- if you do force the issue, the round could be pointed downward towards the magazine; and the bolt could possibly ignite the primer without your finger pressing on the trigger --- thus sending the bullet thru the magazine and forearm. I've heard it happened to a former RSO at AGC --- that had a bullet pass thru his hand --- while he was holding the Mosin.

I think the OP got one several weeks ago and posted that in the middle of the string. I wish OP's were allowed to close their own threads like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom