• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0128shot

Jul 7, 2011
    Poolesville,MD
    Just picked up my Colt 6920 yesterday and it looked like it was already oiled so I went out and put about 80 rounds through it. Should I have cleaned the barrel before I shot it or is it ready to shoot from the factory?

Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Personally - I never assume any weapon is ready to fire out of the box, grease could be in areas where it shouldn't be (or even some other obstruction for that matter). It's a ritual for me, take it home, break it down and inspect it, degrease, re-lube and assemble. Then go for a range trip, it's just a habit.

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    Personally - I never assume any weapon is ready to fire out of the box, grease could be in areas where it shouldn't be (or even some other obstruction for that matter). It's a ritual for me, take it home, break it down and inspect it, degrease, re-lube and assemble. Then go for a range trip, it's just a habit.

This times a thousand, it gives you a chance to make sure it is assembled properly along with who knows what could of got in the barrel during shipping. I think it was somone on this forum a year or so ago had a zip tie stuck in the barrel of a new gun

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!

This.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I join everyone else who said cleaning a new firearm is a must.

I once found a part of a cable tie down a barrel of a new rifle.

(Only to eventually lose it in a tragic ferryboat accident).

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring

More guns are lost that way, it's a damn shame. LOL

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    All for cleaning and inspecting prior to firing, but be cautious not to remove special break in lubes. Many manufactures put their own special greases in critical areas to insure they properly break in. Glock for instance has a copper colored grease that is placed where slide rides. This should be left in place for the first couple hundred rounds to insure a smooth break in.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    All for cleaning and inspecting prior to firing, but be cautious not to remove special break in lubes. Many manufactures put their own special greases in critical areas to insure they properly break in. Glock for instance has a copper colored grease that is placed where slide rides. This should be left in place for the first couple hundred rounds to insure a smooth break in.

Correct, in case anybody doubts this. Many people get a new Glock and the first thing they do is field strip it and scrub off every trace of copper grease. If you read the instructions, it is pretty clear, leave it there!

But always clean and inspect the bore and other parts before shooting a new firearm. Look up the bathtub curve; effectively parts/items will fail either very early on (infancy) or very late (wear-out) in their life-cycle. Don't let a detectable, preventable infancy failure scatter your gun, or worse.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

You REALLY need to saty off the water! There was that canoe accident a few years back....

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    0128shot, despite what everyone says here (and I agree with them), I wouldn't worry too much about it after the fact. Anything catastrophic would have happened the first or second round, and since you put 80 rounds through it, you sound good to go.

For future reference though, it's not a bad idea to run a bore snake through the barrel, to remove any protective oil, before every shooting session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom