• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M

MJK123

Hello All,

[Side Note - Since this is more than an introduction and I did not readily see a thread on what would be a decent AR starter, I am mixing an introduction with a request for help]

Not sure where to start...
    I am a Marine: Once a Marine, Always a Marine. Shot my first real non-BB-gun related weapon while in the Marines. M16A2 was the first rifle that I learned and qualified on. During my tour in the Marine Corps, I had the chance to fire other great weapons. Upon leaving the Marine Corps, I have not picked up another weapon for about 16 years. That was, until I got the bug and did some research. I have gone to a local arms dealer: The Gun Shack in Burtonsville and Atlantic Guns in Rockville and held a few. I was really stuck on the SigSauer's but then I was informed that I should look at a new-Old company called: Windham Weaponry. Now I am stuck with all the many manufactures to choose from. Just like a kid in a candy store.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15#U.S. list of manufactures, Fulton-Armory and Windham Weaponry, I am not sure what manufacture I want to go with.

Is there an AR-15 manufacture or model that I should stay away from?

I believe I am looking for a model that can handle the 5.56 NATO round.
    All the other attachments, mounts, scopes, etc, do not seem to matter to me at the moment. However, I would like the ability to add and remove when needed. I think a standard AR-15 would be decent enough for a starter AR.

To pick a company at random:
    http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig516-patrol-hi-md-model.aspx - would allow me to add attachments when ready.
    versus
    http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/m400-classic-hi-md-model.aspx - where I would be limited in what I can attach.

Questions:
    What are the differences between the A2, A4, M4, etc...?
    What is the difference between a Rifle and a Carbine, when it comes to the AR's?

Of my research, I am leaning towards the following manufactures:
    ArmaLite, Colt, DPMS, Rock River Arms, Sig Sauer, Folton Armory and Windham Weaponry. I just need to narrow down what I really want in an AR and what is in my budget.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 153

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Check out Engage Armament in Kensington. Top notch folks. They are an Industry Partner here and support the forum. My LGS of choice for all things badass.

Got my Colt LE6920 there. Awesome shooter.

:thumbsup:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

M

MJK123

DaveMP:

"New member.. I promise to use the "search" button>>!!!" - As posted from the 'helpful' link...:lol2:

[FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland. As others have said Engage Armament will have what you want. You can't go wrong with the Colt, they will also hold their value.

Silent Scope

Dec 12, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Hey from Rockville!!! Engage Armament does have some really good employees, they are also starting to offer training and other services. They are in the process of moving locations though, they will be set back up somewhere off of Gude Dr. soon. Their prices are a little high but they have some really high end guns there, and again they have exceptional service and are really good guys.

Answers:
    What are the differences between the A2, A4, M4, etc...?
    These are model designations used by the military, some of this terminology has carried over into the civilian market.
    A2 refers to the design of the upper receiver which had an integrated carry handle, probably similar to the weapon you were issued in the Marines.
    A4 refers to an upper receiver that has integrated 1913 picatinny rails along the top, these are used to mount optics. This is the current style as seen on the M4
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/rcvrsup10.gif
    Here is info on the M4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine

What is the difference between a Rifle and a Carbine, when it comes to the AR's?
    This is usually in reference to the length of the gas tube that runs from the barrel to the bolt carrier group as part of the AR's direct impingement operating system, from shortest to longest: carbine, mid, rifle. I suggest getting the longest gas system possible, for 16" barrels this is typically a mid-length system, for longer barrels you can find rifle length.

The Colt is a good suggestion because they are good quality and will retain their value. But there are many good options out there, you have to decide what features you are looking for, and most importantly how much you are willing to pay. Good luck.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hey from Rockville!!! Engage Armament does have some really good employees, they are also starting to offer training and other services. They are in the process of moving locations though, they will be set back up somewhere off of Gude Dr. soon. Their prices are a little high but they have some really high end guns there, and again they have exceptional service and are really good guys.

High prices? Try Atlantic Guns for that. I have purchased 2 AR's and a couple of pistols from Engage. I found their pricing to be more than fair. They are moving to Gude Drive on Dec 19th.

Attachments

• Engage Announcement.jpg
      Engage Announcement.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 195

Silent Scope

Dec 12, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Agreed that Atlantic Guns prices are outrageous, and they don't have or are capable of getting the selection that Engage has, on top of that I haven't ever found them willing to help or answer questions.
    I will qualify my statement about Engage's prices, they are high compared to online retailers, which isn't really a fair comparison. But Engage is definitely the best dealer in MoCo, and I plan on purchasing a suppressor through them soon, which they have terrific prices on.

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    Agreed that Atlantic Guns prices are outrageous, and they don't have or are capable of getting the selection that Engage has, on top of that I haven't ever found them willing to help or answer questions.
    I will qualify my statement about Engage's prices, they are high compared to online retailers, which isn't really a fair comparison. But Engage is definitely the best dealer in MoCo, and I plan on purchasing a suppressor through them soon, which they have terrific prices on.

Umm false. Have you seen prices from atlantic to engage. It's actually kind of opposite,atleast handguns. They can get more of a selection on certain things for sure but don't buy the hype. Andy is kool and all that, staff is smart on tiopics they enjoy specially rifles, just as any store that will talk to you, but prices are not lower. and I've seen many firearms at SS atlantic that neither engage or some others have as well vise versa. Lou(shooters discount, the best FYI) actually had/still has in store a gun engage did not. That same day ss atl had a socom 2 that 2 others dis not so as i say it Varies. Check my post and you can see the colt 901!!!! Yeah had 23 100's for it and drove from kennsington to mt airy. To the OP get the colt always always. This is not anything against engage I just find it crap that atlantic gets a bad word when there not at all to me. I'm 25, first few times at these places they acted like I was a kid a few years ago, now many still do except for Bill there at Rv atla. And hello they have a glock day, step up to that not just Rockville. But yes for your ar get the le6920 from engage since they did have them. But be a "kid" walk in and then you'll see what really is going on. Some place around here should realize we're buying for the next 40 years, you older gents are not always going to be there main guys, after my baby deagle incident never will I wash my money there till the marsco colt comes out and Andy gets it first. (He was out of town when the mistake happened, not his place to take the blame, that lies above him...)
    Again thou do get the colt ar15 and yeah get it from engage no problem, 1200 I saw, that's same as buds so nothing wrong there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I priced both several Glocks and a Colt Delta Elite from both. Engage was cheaper by far for both. Atlantic wanted more for a used Delta than I could get a NIB one off Gunbroker for. They wouldn't take a dime off a Kimber I wanted. They listed MSRP only. Since it's basically an opinion, I won't opine on the differences in staff attitudes.

Since you admit you're young, perhaps you don't have the historic perspective on the 2 shops we over the hill guys may possess. Seems we may have been buying guns and such a bit longer than you younger fellas.

Don't even mention AR prices.

ETA:
    But be a "kid" walk in and then you'll see what really is going on. Some place around here should realize we're buying for the next 40 years, you older gents are not always going to be there main guys,

The logic of this statement totally escapes me, as most older folks have much larger discretionary incomes than young people do, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Last edited:

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Umm false. Have you seen prices from atlantic to engage. It's actually kind of opposite,atleast handguns. They can get more of a selection on certain things for sure but don't buy the hype. Andy is kool and all that, staff is smart on tiopics they enjoy specially rifles, just as any store that will talk to you, but prices are not lower. and I've seen many firearms at SS atlantic that neither engage or some others have as well vise versa. Lou(shooters discount, the best FYI) actually had/still has in store a gun engage did not. That same day ss atl had a socom 2 that 2 others dis not so as i say it Varies. Check my post and you can see the colt 901!!!! Yeah had 23 100's for it and drove from kennsington to mt airy. To the OP get the colt always always. This is not anything against engage I just find it crap that atlantic gets a bad word when there not at all to me. I'm 25, first few times at these places they acted like I was a kid a few years ago, now many still do except for Bill there at Rv atla. And hello they have a glock day, step up to that not just Rockville. But yes for your ar get the le6920 from engage since they did have them. But be a "kid" walk in and then you'll see what really is going on. Some place around here should realize we're buying for the next 40 years, you older gents are not always going to be there main guys, after my baby deagle incident never will I wash my money there till the marsco colt comes out and Andy gets it first. (He was out of town when the mistake happened, not his place to take the blame, that lies above him...)
    Again thou do get the colt ar15 and yeah get it from engage no problem, 1200 I saw, that's same as buds so nothing wrong there.

Run on sentence?!?

OP welcome!!

Colt is a nice choice, a good friend just got a sig 516 and he's pretty damn excited about it.

There are also many group buys on this site to help you put the parts together to build your own, that's a lot fun! (You will get great prices- and as a result will have to be patient because we generally have delays in getting the group buy parts- this does give you time to source the other parts from Joe Bob's....)

Lots of good info, try search if you want, or just ask... We're glad you're here regardless!

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD

I vaguely remember the Baby Eagle incident if you're the guy Im thinking of. Mistakes happen, especially when 3 or 4 companies have different guns with the same name. If I recall correctly we fully refunded your money after you had the gun for some time. It was our mistake and I thought we had made that up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom