• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Full Disclosure: I am a life-long Catholic. I am Hispanic. Please refrain from making out of context and offensive remarks about Catholics and Hspanics.

While reading a copy of "El Pregonero" (The Preacher), the official Sanish newsletter of the Archdiocesis of DC, I came across and article regarding the Maryland Catholic Conference Lobbying Night. Apparently, the Archdiocesis invites our Annapolis legislators to a meet and greet with the Catholic community so the Church can lobby on behalf of their causes. Fine and dandy right? Well, not exactly.

The Archdiocesis has a very strong anti-gun stance, as anyone that has ever been to an anti- 2A bill hearing in Annapolis can attest to. Below is the link to the event. Scroll down to the left of the page and click on the
    "Lobby Night Materials & Issue Sheets"

http://www.mdcathcon.org/main.asp?page=1602

"...In particular we support such measures as banning assault weapons and reducing ammunition magazine rounds, licensing handguns, and increasing mental health services for those in need."

"...Reasonable proposals before the legislature include a limitation on firearm ammunition magazine’s legal number of rounds from 20 to 10. Additionally, a ban on military style assault rifles, seen as instruments of war, promotes a strong message in our society that human life should be protected from gun violence."

For the lawyers in the house:

Aren't religious institutions with 509c? or tax exempt status prohibited from engaging in political activities, including lobbying?:mad54:

I plan on signing up and attending. As a Catholic, Hispanic..and 2A defender....This is what we call a "Notice of Intelligence Potential" in my line of work. :party29:

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I think from one Christian to another , you should repent and give me full rights to use your avatar. !:lol2:

Okay now I will attempt to read your post ............

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    My wife and I went to the National Cathedral service before Christmas with some friends. We are Catholic. The home denomination of the National Cathedral is Episcopal. At the end of the service the Pastor didn't give a speech about Christmas, but instead gave one on the need to contact your legislators about banning Assault weapons and high capacity clips. They were handing out brochures on the way out. I was sickened and angry that they did this instead of celebrating the wonder of Christmas. I will never go there again. The church is not a place to voice a political opinion. If they wanted to say a prayer for the families and victims, that would have been far more appropriate.

Insisting that the government take legally purchased property from law abiding citizens is not what I want to hear at church. It is very inappropriate.

I will protect my family. How many bullets do you need in a gun? You need enough bullets and enough gun to make the criminals stop attacking your family.

My wife and I went to the National Cathedral service before Christmas with some friends. We are Catholic. The home denomination of the National Cathedral is Episcopal. At the end of the service the Pastor didn't give a speech about Christmas, but instead gave one on the need to contact your legislators about banning Assault weapons and high capacity clips. They were handing out brochures on the way out. I was sickened and angry that they did this instead of celebrating the wonder of Christmas. I will never go there again. The church is not a place to voice a political opinion. If they wanted to say a prayer for the families and victims, that would have been far more appropriate.

I was an Episcopalian for many years, and nominally still am. However, I now attend a small, conservative Anglican church, one of the many that have broken away because of this kind of unthinking liberalism on the part of the Episcopal Church in America. The ECA has become little more than a mouthpiece for every liberal cause that comes down the pike.

Unfortunately, there are many within the Roman Catholic Church that for many years have tried to drag it in the same direction. Many of these are within the seminaries and religious orders. Were it not for men like the Blessed John Paul II and his successor, it would have moved far further in this direction.

We must all stand up for our consciences, in politics and in our churches.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My wife and I went to the National Cathedral service before Christmas with some friends...

...At the end of the service the Pastor didn't give a speech about Christmas, but instead gave one on the need to contact your legislators about banning Assault weapons and high capacity clips.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems that this church could be violating its tax exempt status requirements.

To qualify for 501(c)(3) status, your non profit must be organized and operated exclusively for "exempt purposes." Such purposes may include scientific, educational, and charitable endeavors. The non profit's net earnings may not be distributed to its directors, members, or any individual. And it must comply with certain restrictions placed upon lobbying and other "political" activities.http://www.nps.gov/partnerships/model_taxexempt_status.htm

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    Marte thanks for raising this issue. I am sure the MCC is in compliance with tax law, maybe it is not a c3, or has some other arrangement. And even c3s, like a diocese, are allowed to lobby for bills if they don't spend 15% of their funds doing so. The real issue to me is whether there is Church teaching on SB 281. It seems to me there is not. Some issues, like protecting the unborn or the definition of marriage, Catholic teaching specifies. On gun control all the MCC can cite is general principles in favor of safety and sensible regulations. In Maryland, we have all that. Since there is no Catholic teaching banning guns, it seems to me this is not an ironclad issue either way. Lots of issues are up to lay Catholics to use prudence on and decide. Catholicism is not doctrinaire about everything, just about some things. This is not one of them.

sigdad

Jan 5, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    Considering the 2nd amendment might some day in the future be the only thing allowing them to keep the freedom of religion you'd think they would support it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Gunphobe hypocrites love their first amendment rights but hate their second, as if the Bill Of Rights is multiple choice.
    The ignorance is mind blowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom