• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • renchr01

Apr 23, 2012
    Hello everyone. I was reading the MSP about the exemptions on the HQL. If I understand it correctly, you do not have to get the license if you are an honorably discharged service member. Is this correct? And if so how are they going to know that you have been honorably discharged? And if you don't need it then how can you possibly purchase a handgun or any other regulated firearm without it?

VikingFan65

Apr 19, 2013
    Howard County
    Hello everyone. I was reading the MSP about the exemptions on the HQL. If I understand it correctly, you do not have to get the license if you are an honorably discharged service member. Is this correct? And if so how are they going to know that you have been honorably discharged? And if you don't need it then how can you possibly purchase a handgun or any other regulated firearm without it?
    The only exemption is for retired. Must possess a retired ID card.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    If I understand it correctly, you do not have to get the license if you are an honorably discharged service member. Is this correct?

An "honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States" is exempt from the training requirement, but not from the license requirement itself.

renchr01

Apr 23, 2012
    Ok so I don't need the training. How do I go about getting the license and who do I prove to get the license. I was honorably discharged in 1976.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Ok so I don't need the training. How do I go about getting the license and who do I prove to get the license. I was honorably discharged in 1976.

There is also *supposed* to be an automated application system in place on MSP's website. Not sure how that will couple with the other requirement to get a set of fingerprints done digitally through the LiveScan system.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Well, since apparently they can now require your SSN, and their database is so extensive and über knowledgable, your SSN should be all they need to know you are an honorably discharged veteran, right?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Too bad it can't be submitted as an attachment. I have mine scanned in as a jpg file.

Way too high tech for an organization that for another week has used fax machines for form submission

Luddites

Vikingpwr67

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore
    Exceptions to possession of the HQL License
    A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    Maryland licensed firearms dealers.

you should just need to display your military ID to the FFL. no need to get a HQL. the above are exemption to obtaining the HQL

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    A retired member of the military served a minimum of 20 years or more. Any less than that you are not a retired member of the military just honorable discharged.

A retired member of the military served a minimum of 20 years or more. Any less than that you are not a retired member of the military just honorable discharged.

A) not always true, I have a friend who only served 9 months, was injured and is now retired with a pension. Go to your local VA clinic and you will see plenty of medically retired former military who didn't serve 20. But because they have a card they get exempted?

B) not my point. I served 6 years, am honorably discharged so why does a retiree get exempted from the HQL but not any other honorably discharged vet? Simply because they MIGHT have 20 years in? How does that affect their ability to own and carry versus someone who doesn't have a little card saying they are retired military?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom