Laws on Shooting an attacking dog in Montgomery County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Well my question was, if it jumps the fence and charges me, can I shoot it or would I need to get a big steak of meat ripped off of my arm first before I can fire.

No doubt, if it's got my elderly mother by the ass, I'd definitely would be shooting or cutting it up with my blades.

Here, the Pits are constantly charging at me on the other side of the chain linked fence and biting on the metal links like it wants to bite through to get me. This is what makes me worried that it may jump the fence one day and attack, especially when my mother's little wimpy dog runs around the yard a lot to do his business. I don't think this is irrational.

Can you reinforce or modify the fence in anyway? Might be the best bet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    This was a bad result that was only possible because there was a dog in the area. The same argument is made 1000 times a day about injuries involving guns.

If you are having a problem with the dog next door, you need to talk to the neighbors. If that doesn't work, you need to call the local PD, or Animal Control, or whatever. Address the problem before it becomes a problem.

The difference between guns and dogs is that a gun is an inanimate object, totally reliant on it's owner for its actions. While a dog, whether well trained or not, has a brain and instinct and can voluntarily, go against its training and/or owner's commands, especially when the owner is not there.

Right now, the only problem is that the Pit Bulls charges towards the fence every time I walk by and latches onto the chain links like it wants to bite through, quite viciously. I've told my neighbors about this and they say their Pit Bulls don't bite. Not sure how many times I can keep complaining to them. I doubt that I have anything for the cops or Animal Control as the dogs are on their property.

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Can you reinforce or modify the fence in anyway? Might be the best bet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the average chain linked fence that's around 4 feet high. It will cost a few thousand dollars to have a decent wooden fence built all around as it would look horrible to just do one section only.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    It's sounds to me that you have reasonable concerns of apprehended danger based on the dogs behavior, your experience with dogs, and the fact you have both old and young family members. Only you know how to judge the threat.

Just because one family cuddles their x breed dog doesn't mean this one has the same demeanor.

Id ignore the advice from the dog lovers here who tell you not to be worried and try to make you feel like you are a premeditated murderer.

Doesn't matter what type of dog it is in my view. If that animal jumps your fence and runs towards you then kill it any way you can.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    The difference between guns and dogs is that a gun is an inanimate object, totally reliant on it's owner for its actions. While a dog, whether well trained or not, has a brain and instinct and can voluntarily, go against its training and/or owner's commands, especially when the owner is not there.

Right now, the only problem is that the Pit Bulls charges towards the fence every time I walk by and latches onto the chain links like it wants to bite through, quite viciously. I've told my neighbors about this and they say their Pit Bulls don't bite. Not sure how many times I can keep complaining to them. I doubt that I have anything for the cops or Animal Control as the dogs are on their property.

If you don't think your neighbors, Animal Control, or the local PD cares, I guess you are screwed, because you can't just shoot a dog because it's on your property, especially in Montgomery County. I am not a lawyer, and what I am saying here is not legal advice, but you asked for opinions, and that's what you're getting.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    BS. My grandfather was a rich old man who used to own over 20 dogs at one time and a bunch of exotic animals that he'd bring home from safari. He even hired lived in servants just to tend to his pets. I've been around plenty of dogs.

I've been bitten by a couple of his dogs because I F'ed with them when I was a kid. Thankfully, none were Pit Bulls. Even the German Shepherd only left some teeth marks that didn't even scar. A friend's full grown German Shep also bit me when I was young, but let go right away when their master, my 10 year old friend, pulled their GS off. Think it would be the same with a Pit Bull?

I'm a grown adult now. How the hell am I not respecting these Pit Bulls? I'm just minding my own business in my own yard. What do you want me to do, help my neighbors train their stupid dogs? It's like someone next door bringing a Bobcat home as a pet that has never bit anyone, yet.
    Your first word defines both your eloquence and your ignorance.

I can only hope you come across better in person.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Can someone help me out? Do I have to get attacked and actually be bitten first before I can legally shoot a neighbor's dog?

Now I'm not talking about a barking and growling dog on their side of the fence. I'd just have to keep my distance.

But what if this Pit Bull jumped the fence (which this dog certainly can do, easily) and charges me or my elderly mother and her little 7 lb, wimpy dog? Do I have to wait until one of us get bitten first or can I legally shoot it when it hops the fence and being aggressive?

Because if it gets my mother, it may kill her or I may not shoot and risk her getting shot with hollowpoints, as an old woman is not going to do well with HP's in her. Her little dog will definitely die from just one clamp of this Pit Bull's jaw, easily.

Shooting a dog or even shooting in general in Montgomery County will most likely put you in jail or make for a very lengthy LEO visit. I would not advise it, you may end up loosing your firearm rights and probably get sued. On the other hand though, if my family, my dog or myself were in danger of, or being attacked on my own property the dog would be dead.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Ok I got to know, what has this dog done to make you want feel that you will have to put it down if it jumps the fence? Is there a past history with aggression with this dog and how many times has animal control been out cause of said dog? I just want to know why you think it will attack someone on your property?

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Some claim to have success with this:
    dazer2.jpg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Some claim to have success with this:
    dazer2.jpg

That thing does actually work (have one) on "normal" dogs. I doubt it would work on a zero'd in Pit Bull. My kids school was on lock down at bell dismissal last week. Some parents come to walk there kids home and will bring their leashed dogs. A Pit Bull off leash in the vicinity wanders to the school nearly killing one dog on a leash (rushed to Vet), then went after another.. They are real nice dogs. Police roll in to get the animal before they let the kids out.

Girl I went to high school with, they found barely alive after she was dog sitting for her sisters Pit Bulls. She was hospitalized for days, lost an eye and serious rehab. Wife's friend was walking her dog, and a Pit Pull broke through a screen door, she is scarred for life too.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Shooting a dog or even shooting in general in Montgomery County will most likely put you in jail or make for a very lengthy LEO visit. I would not advise it, you may end up loosing your firearm rights and probably get sued. On the other hand though, if my family, my dog or myself were in danger of, or being attacked on my own property the dog would be dead.

^^^THIS.

The libs will throw the book at you no matter your legit claim of self defense.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The libs will throw the book at you no matter your legit claim of self defense.

Maybe not. They're scared of pitbulls too, not just guns, rednecks, global warming, George Bush, Republicans, people of color, and basically anyone or anything else that they campaign for or against. Serious weenies.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Ok I got to know, what has this dog done to make you want feel that you will have to put it down if it jumps the fence? Is there a past history with aggression with this dog and how many times has animal control been out cause of said dog? I just want to know why you think it will attack someone on your property?

Aggressive dog or not, why would it be alright if the dog comes on his property and why does it matter if the op ponders if the dog may be aggressive or not. It's his property. It's his family.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011

"I doubt that I have anything for the cops or Animal Control as the dogs are on their property."

Don't be so doubtful.

We had a similar situation with a vicious German Shepherd dog being kept by a woman that could not control it. The dog was on a tether in the front yard and would terrorize people walking by.

But sometimes it got off the tether. My wife and I were challenged a few times in our yard by a growling lunging 80 lb dog. So were our neighbors.
    Long story short the dog was eventually legally destroyed.
    Start thinking rationally and go long.

The legal system thrives on patterns but it will take time to establish one.
    Establish a pattern of complaints to animal control about the dog's behavior. Explain that you can not enjoy your home and why.
    If something awful happens you will have a history.

In our case it did not matter that the dog was on its property. It was still considered a danger under the circumstances.

Call animal control and they will make a visit. Once they see what is going on magic may happen.

CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.
    Good luck.

RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    Years ago, a friend of mine was in his yard and a German Shepherd bit his cat in half. He happened to be carrying and he shot and killed the dog. He was charged with animal cruelty. Then came the lawsuits. Bad scene.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I wish there was a way to hide specific threads. "New Posts (No WC)" is a blessing but it only goes so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom