• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Could the court rule that ANY AND ALL magazine capacity limits are unconstitutional? Why would one magazine capacity limit be anymore constitutional than another?

If the FSA'13 magazine 10 round limit is struck down, how can another arbitrary number of rounds could stand? Would it require another law suit the strike down the previous 20 round limit?

No, the court is limited to ruling on the law before them. Period. That said, the scope of the court's reasoning in making its ruling will be the key to how far the ruling will go in implicating other types of bans.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    And the case for en banc would get even better under the Rules of Appellate Procedure, if the panel opinion expressly disagrees with the DC Circuit in Heller II, which, you will recall, upheld the DC ASW ban. So, did Heller II come up during the argument?

Heller II did not come up from either side.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have to ask...

I certainly understand that if the "assault weapons" ban is struck down, we revert back to the old way of doing business. I do wonder about the magazine capacity piece though. If they rule that any restrictions on capacity are unconstitutional, doesn't that wipe out the old 20 round limit by extension as well? Make sense? Any chance we could come out of this with no limits...?

See the post above yours for the best answer.

Short answer is no.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have to ask...

I certainly understand that if the "assault weapons" ban is struck down, we revert back to the old way of doing business. I do wonder about the magazine capacity piece though. If they rule that any restrictions on capacity are unconstitutional, doesn't that wipe out the old 20 round limit by extension as well? Make sense? Any chance we could come out of this with no limits...?

Not as a matter of law. And as a matter of fact, the 10 rd limit is much more restrictive than the old 20 rd limit and that affects the analysis under the 2A. That said, if the court were to come out and say that the 10 rd restriction is unconstitutional because *any* restriction would be a violation, then that could serve as the basis of a new suit challenging the 20 round restriction. But, they strike down only the statute in front of them, so it would take a new suit, unless of course, the GA were to repeal the 20 rd restriction.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Not as a matter of law. And as a matter of fact, the 10 rd limit is much more restrictive than the old 20 rd limit and that affects the analysis under the 2A. That said, if the court were to come out and say that the 10 rd restriction is unconstitutional because *any* restriction would be a violation, then that could serve as the basis of a new suit challenging the 20 round restriction. But, they strike down only the statute in front of them, so it would take a new suit, unless of course, the GA were to repeal the 20 rd restriction.

Thanks for the response to my question as well.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If they strike down the AWB and the magazine capacity restrictions, the law reverts to pre 2013, thats true, but they open the door to challenging the whole regulated firearms scheme. How much of a door opener it is will depend on the scope of course. Here is me hoping they really over played their hand this time.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    If they strike down the AWB and the magazine capacity restrictions, the law reverts to pre 2013, thats true, but they open the door to challenging the whole regulated firearms scheme. How much of a door opener it is will depend on the scope of course. Here is me hoping they really over played their hand this time.

I would be overjoyed with a win of any kind.... But, then, I suffer from BGOS.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If we prevail, the AWB and magazine capacity law are gone and those two provisions of FSA 2013 go back to what they were pre Oct 2013. Regulated, 77R, 7 day wait, no copycat listing.

20 round magazines.

No, the court is limited to ruling on the law before them. Period. That said, the scope of the court's reasoning in making its ruling will be the key to how far the ruling will go in implicating other types of bans.

If they rule that a magazine capacity limit is not Constitutional, how can they revert back to the previous limit and call it Constitutional? Is 10 more Unconstitutional than 20?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If they rule that a magazine capacity limit is not Constitutional, how can they revert back to the previous limit and call it Constitutional? Is 10 more Unconstitutional than 20?
    You know back then.. They only allow 10 musket balls and bp packets for the muskets. Lol

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Well, yes, it could be, if the test they adopt turns in part on how restrictive the limit is. For example, 10 rds is much more restrictive, especially with respect to handguns, than 20 is. I can't think of many standard mags for semiauto handguns of more than 20. Almost all (except the 1911s and other .45s etc), come in at between 10 and 20.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona

That's exactly the questions I was wondering... Both magazine limit restrictions are arbitrary numbers made up by gun grabbing politicians based on fear with no factual basis.

If 10 rounds is struck down there should be an immediate law suit filed to have 20 round, or ALL limits removed.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Well, yes, it could be, if the test they adopt turns in part on how restrictive the limit is. For example, 10 rds is much more restrictive, especially with respect to handguns, than 20 is. I can't think of many standard mags for semiauto handguns of more than 20. Almost all (except the 1911s and other .45s etc), come in at between 10 and 20.

The standard magazine capacity for an AR15 is 30 rounds. Doesn't have to be handguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom