• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    With the current session of the Supreme court winding down in the next 6 weeks. We might get to hear the outcome of the Johnson and Henderson cases sooner rather than later. They are small potatoes compared to the others.

The court will save the big ticket items of ObamaCare and Gay Marriage until the end.

Henderson - disposition of seized firearms after a conviction

Johnson - SBS possession a violent felony

King V Burwell - aka ObamaCare Obama wins!

Zivotofsky v Kerry - whether the Judicial system, recognizes Jerusalem as part of Israel. Court struck down the law recognizing Israel!

Comptroller of MD v Wynne - Interstate income taxation

Obergefell v Hodges - Gay Marriage

Last edited:

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Even if the result of Johnson is voiding the Armed Career Criminal law, they won't release that on the last day. It'll be gay marriage and Obamacare for sure that day.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    For Obergefell v. Hodges...

Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-state?

Does that have 2A implications? I'm thinking carry permits.

Bagpiperer

Mar 23, 2013
    Does that have 2A implications? I'm thinking carry permits.

Possibly, but there will be great resistance among even conservative jurists to distorting the meaning of the full faith and credit clause in such a fashion. It's been noted that there are edge cases where a marriage which is permitted in one state is legally prohibited in another - those laws are, to the extent of my knowledge, essentially unchallenged.

Similarly, the driver's license issue was solved by, in essence, a gentlemen's agreement between the states, rather than by federal statute or litigation. Concealed carry reciprocity would ideally be handled similarly, but it's unlikely it will be, because states like Maryland are likely to be recalcitrant.

It's honestly not clear to me how denial of the right to marry a same sex partner constitutes a violation of either equal protection (everyone has the right to marry an opposite-sex partner, after all) or due process (the procedure is the same regardless of sexual orientation). Politically, Republicans probably should avoid the issue of gay marriage on the national scale, saying that defining marriage has historically been a state's prerogative, and that allowing legislatures to experiment without judicial interference would be the most salutary outcome.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    It's honestly not clear to me how denial of the right to marry a same sex partner constitutes a violation of either equal protection (everyone has the right to marry an opposite-sex partner, after all) or due process (the procedure is the same regardless of sexual orientation).

Loving v. Virginia said:
    Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.

From the unanimous (9-0) Opinion of the Court on Loving v. Virginia written by Chief Justice Earl Warren.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It could be interesting to make the arguement, but I think the one big issue is going to be:

A marriage would still be a marriage, gay or straight. Same general requirements. With CCW permits, requirements vary radically across state lines.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It could be interesting to make the arguement, but I think the one big issue is going to be:

A marriage would still be a marriage, gay or straight. Same general requirements. With CCW permits, requirements vary radically across state lines.

So what? It is exactly because they vary that they are unconstitutional.. particularly if they make it impractical or impossible for non residents or visitors to carry.

No state has the power to violate rights.. period..

The easiest way is to force acceptance of out of state permits, until such time as an instate permit can be granted..

It will depend on how long and cumbersome the process is.

That's a 2a issue.. .but recipority is also a 14 a issue..

W can't duck from this fight... the MD disease is spreading..

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    9:30 am: orders from the Court's May 20 Conference,
    10:00 am: one or more opinions from the argued cases.

Maybe we will see a GVR from Jackson today.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    9:30 am: orders from the Court's May 20 Conference,
    10:00 am: one or more opinions from the argued cases.

Maybe we will see a GVR from Jackson today.

Oh, I hope we see summary reversal. Not merely a GVR, which is usually reserved for cases in which the Court has issued a new opinion in another case and the remand is for reconsideration in light of the new opinion.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Oh, I hope we see summary reversal. Not merely a GVR, which is usually reserved for cases in which the Court has issued a new opinion in another case and the remand is for reconsideration in light of the new opinion.

If the SCOTUS actually released verbiage on the remand specifically stating the 2A is applied equally outside the home as well as inside would be the greatest coup d'etat :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom