• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • renchr01

Apr 23, 2012
    I am trying to fill out the hql app. When you get to the part of weapon exemption do you leave that blank? I am not exempting any weapons

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I am trying to fill out the hql app. When you get to the part of weapon exemption do you leave that blank? I am not exempting any weapons

The weapon exemption is if you owned a regulated firearm before Oct. 1, 2013 you don't need to take the training class. If you did, you put the serial number in that box

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    The weapon exemption is if you owned a regulated firearm before Oct. 1, 2013 you don't need to take the training class. If you did, you put the serial number in that box

In other words, you are 'certifying' that you already have in your possession a legally purchased, regulated firearm.

If you have another 'exemption', I would suggest using one of those instead. Info from Scott's Gunsmithing Service Online ...

The FOLLOWING is accepted as Approved Training:
    a. Someone who completed a Certified Safety Course. The OLD Online Handgun Safety program formerly offered no longer complies with Maryland Law. It has been superseded by the new Maryland Firearms Safety Act of 2013 which became effective on October 1, 2013.

b. Has completed a Course of Instruction in the Competency and Safety of Firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction. e.g. DNR's Hunter Safety Course

c. Is currently a Qualified Handgun Instructor.

d. Is an Honorably Discharged Member of the Armed Forces of the United States or National Guard. e.g. a DD214

e. Is an Employee of an Armored Car Company who has a Handgun Carry Permit issued by MSP.

f. Lawfully owns a Regulated Firearm. If you already own a Handgun or Assault Weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the Training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Someone recently posted an Online Hunter Safety Course from Texas that will exempt you. That's what I plan on doing.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Someone recently posted an Online Hunter Safety Course from Texas that will exempt you. That's what I plan on doing.

I think it has to be DNR approved ...

Has completed a Course of Instruction in the Competency and Safety of Firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In other words, you are 'certifying' that you already have in your possession a legally purchased, regulated firearm.

If you have another 'exemption', I would suggest using one of those instead. Info from Scott's Gunsmithing Service Online ...

If the MSP already has a record of the firearm why not just tell them something they already know rather than giving them more information for your dossier? Now if you have a legal pre Oct. 2013 now regulated firearm the MSP doesn't know about (there are several ways that can happen) then certainly do not tell them anything, hunter safety training is too easy to get to give up a firearm SN for potential future confiscation.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think it has to be DNR approved ...

Hunter safety training from any of the 48 contiguous states is accepted in any other state (i.e. Maryland hunter safety is good in the other 47 CONUS), not sure about Hunter Safety from Hawaii and Alaska.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Re #7 ; Could have been a private party purchase pre 1996, purchased in another state while living there, then subsequently moved to Md ( before 10/01/13, purchased out of state with C&R 003, etc .

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    If the MSP already has a record of the firearm why not just tell them something they already know rather than giving them more information for your dossier? Now if you have a legal pre Oct. 2013 now regulated firearm the MSP doesn't know about (there are several ways that can happen) then certainly do not tell them anything, hunter safety training is too easy to get to give up a firearm SN for potential future confiscation.

No need to reiterate what 'they already know' ... or don't know. Registration by any other name is still registration. The same thought process applies to blindly accepting the HQL as a 'common sense gun safety measure', regardless of the method chosen to avoid the training requirement. HQL is just the 'simmering step' to boiling frogs. Look how long Illinois has been fighting to get their rights back (ever so slightly) after enacting 'The FOID' ... and a lot good that it has done for Chicago.

HQL=FOID

IllinoisCarry.com -
    Idea for FOID class action lawsuit

Attachments

• (Small) Avoid The FOID.jpg
      (Small) Avoid The FOID.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 201

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, the HQL doesn't even offer the advantages of an FOID.

Que up images of deceased equine S&M .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    No need to reiterate what 'they already know' ... or don't know. Registration by any other name is still registration. The same thought process applies to blindly accepting the HQL as a 'common sense gun safety measure', regardless of the method chosen to avoid the training requirement. HQL is just the 'simmering step' to boiling frogs. Look how long Illinois has been fighting to get their rights back (ever so slightly) after enacting 'The FOID' ... and a lot good that it has done for Chicago.

HQL=FOID

IllinoisCarry.com -
    Idea for FOID class action lawsuit

Get an HQL or don't get anymore handguns, they are happy whichever you choose. You can always buy them out of the trunk of someones car and run the risk of permanently loosing your right to firearms.

My choice is minimal compliance while fighting to overturn unconstitutional laws and defeating the Democratic and RINO politicians that would pass such laws in the first place.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Get an HQL or don't get anymore handguns, they are happy whichever you choose. You can always buy them out of the trunk of someones car and run the risk of permanently loosing your right to firearms.

My choice is minimal compliance while fighting to overturn unconstitutional laws and defeating the Democratic and RINO politicians that would pass such laws in the first place.

My choice is 'none of the above' ... While still fighting to overturn OWE'Malley's unconstitutional law, retiring Mike & Mike, and defeating their sycophants in the MD GA.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not that it would be a worthwhile tradeoffs, but at least a true FOID would replace the repeated background checks for each purchase. HQL doesn't have any semblence of any slightly positive result.

renchr01

Apr 23, 2012
    I have it all filled out as of 08/29/16. I used my DD214 for the exemption. Hopefully it all goes smoothly. Thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom