• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I saw a S&W 19-4 at York
    Prices almost at $1k
    It was not C&R but close if it were it would have followed me home. I would have paid more to make one part of my C&R collection

Will keep looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 19-4...haven't shot it in decades. It's the first handgun I ever purchased so it's not going anywhere.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Almost any revolver should be accurate enough on double action @ 25 yards to hit the vital areas of a target. The key to shooting accurately is learning that there are two parts to shooting double action. The first is the cylinder rotation and lock up which requires practice on each revolver to learn the feel of when this has taken place. The second part is where the shooter aims and the round is sent.

Practice will almost always improve your results.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My initial goal was to shoot accurately in SA then transition eventually to DA.

BTW, I reload and was wondering if a 357 revolver shot better with 357 or 38spl?
    Wondering if the extra distance the bullet had to travel unsupported in 38spl makes a difference.
    I ask cause This past summer before Primers were hard to find, I got ahead of my reloading by prepping and priming 300 38spl cases. I had prepped zero of the 357 I had.
    Wondering if I should see if I would want to start prepping some 357 or maybe see if I can trade the 38 primed for 357 primed with someone.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My initial goal was to shoot accurately in SA then transition eventually to DA.

BTW, I reload and was wondering if a 357 revolver shot better with 357 or 38spl?
    Wondering if the extra distance the bullet had to travel unsupported in 38spl makes a difference.
    I ask cause This past summer before Primers were hard to find, I got ahead of my reloading by prepping and priming 300 38spl cases. I had prepped zero of the 357 I had.
    Wondering if I should see if I would want to start prepping some 357 or maybe see if I can trade the 38 primed for 357 primed with someone.

When I shot wheelguns a lot more, and owned more if them, I explored this on a limited basis. My 66 didn't care. My dan wesson 15 showed a distinct preference for 357 with heavy bullets loaded full power (8"bbl). Simply due to availability and price I loaded 38s. From an enjoyment perspective, I found I liked a plus p load of blue dot in a 38 case with a 158swc. 148 wadcutters loaded slow were easy to shoot well but reloads sucked and shooting the powder puffs screwed with my timing when I shot real ammo again.

From a practical perspective, the difference in case length (about 1/8" iirc) is pretty insignificant compared to the length of the forcing cone. I found that getting the cylinder alignment and lockup tuned in my 66 made way more difference than anything else. Ymmv.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My S&W 686-3 hunter performance center .44 mag is pretty accurate. With the 4X scope I can hit steel at 100yds.

You mean a 629, right? I thought all the L frames were 357. And to piggyback on the 44s, I found that a starting to mid-range load of 2400 was plenty of horsepower with great accuracy. Easier to tune than a 357 for sure. Probably more recoil than OP is looking for in an all day target shooter though.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You mean a 629, right? I thought all the L frames were 357. And to piggyback on the 44s, I found that a starting to mid-range load of 2400 was plenty of horsepower with great accuracy. Easier to tune than a 357 for sure. Probably more recoil than OP is looking for in an all day target shooter though.

Yeah 629 I had 686 in my head for some reason.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have never been disappointed with K or N frame Smith and Wesson revolvers for accuracy. Spend a bit more for those with target triggers, sights and grips. One of the best shooting revolvers that I have is the Model 57. As far as the smoothest trigger in a revolver, that distinction goes to a Smith and Wesson Model 66 that I own.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I'll be on the lookout for an Accurate Revolver for shooting single handed at 25 yards. I reload so I"ll be able to tune the load but just wondering what I should look for when going through gun shops for maybe an accurate used one?
    What models would be decent?
    I'm hoping I would luck into finding a used one that already has a trigger job.

I have some 357 to do reloads but plenty of 38 too.

Not in a rush but looking for guidance on what to look into and what to steer away from.

Many models and calibers to chose from.
    https://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr-big-frame-revolver/
    I have a .50 S&W 4 inch group at 50 yards with iron sites and yes I can shoot single handed.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I plunked the $ down on a stainless 5" 686 today and will have trigger worked on after I get some range time.
    I held the 6" GP100 (blue'd) today then the 686 and the 686 I felt was going to go easier on my arms over a range session. I was able to hold it steady with one hand a tad better.
    I'm almost 55 years old now, so I don't want to short myself I'll still look for a GP100 Stainless anyway. Called another shop and they sold the one they had so will still be looking.
    I had sold some items over the past year and the MACA show is again not happening so if I see a C&R Target 38spl in the coming months, it will come home with me too.
    If something I get does not do well for me, seems I can offload anything and not really be at much of a loss. Even $200-$00 or so is not a bad loss if I can gain the experience of a different pistol and end up knowing what I like best out of a few choices.

thx all

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom