• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I’m still pretty new to reloading, what do I need to know about these bullets. Anything different than the xtreme 230 grain RN ? I’ve use those before in my Glock 21 with no problems. These are 1/2 the price and just like trying new things

https://summitcitybullets.com/230-grain-45-acp-round-nose-bevel-base-Hi-Tek-coated-bullets

I have both baked my own and purchased my own HiTek coated bullets from Bayou Bullets. I have had bad luck in my glocks with polygonal rifling. Those same guns ran FMJ, Copper washed and Powder Coated bullets just fine. I had another gun that was standard rifling and it had pretty bad tooling marks on the grooves. It stripped the HiTek and leaded up something awful. It ran PC and Copper/FMJ just fine I have a couple other 9mm guns that I will use the HiTek in and they are still not as accurate as the PC so I'll use them up in those and never buy another one. 45 glocks Polygonal?
    YMMV

I shoot at 25 yards at 8" steel plate. Accuracy matters for me.
    If your shooting at 25 feet at torso targets , it won't matter as much

Like Polymer, Powder coated and the like, HiTek requires you to flair the mouth a little more so seating the bullet does not strip the coating. load some dummys then pull the bullets to make sure your not stripping the coating.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Classes of material of bullets when reloading. I treat Hitek and plated as lead.
    1. Lead = Hitek. Plated
    2. Full Metal Jacket
    3. Jacketed Hollow Point

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMHO, not a lot of practical difference between plated and coated besides price. Earlier coatings had some issues, but the modern ones work well when applied correctly. Plating isn't a slam dunk, either, it's easy to mess it up and/or have variances. FMJ is obviously the best option in terms of consistency, but also the most expensive.

I exclusively shoot coated 147gr RN NLG bullets in 9mm. They work great. I can make 70yd first round hits on 12" steel with them.

Summit City has a good rep. If my main guy is backed up, I'd buy from them any day of the week.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Coated bullets are excellent. I prefer Blue Bullets and have shot 10s of thousands through my CZs and Glocks with great results.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    IMHO, not a lot of practical difference between plated and coated besides price. Earlier coatings had some issues, but the modern ones work well when applied correctly. Plating isn't a slam dunk, either, it's easy to mess it up and/or have variances. FMJ is obviously the best option in terms of consistency, but also the most expensive.

I exclusively shoot coated 147gr RN NLG bullets in 9mm. They work great. I can make 70yd first round hits on 12" steel with them.

Summit City has a good rep. If my main guy is backed up, I'd buy from them any day of the week.

Good to know. What does NLG mean ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom