• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Ruger revolvers are also out of stock at most places. Come back next year!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Look, your choice is your choice, mine is mine. Both will work just fine if we're fluent in their use. I am confident in the SA. Hoping never to be stuck in such a situation at all.

Again...based upon the OP's premise...you choose what you feel works for you...not anyone else.

WOW, MDS is going full libtard, no longer DISCUSSING the topic to provide each other with some thoughts that may trigger changes in opinion. On one side or the other.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Two of the reasons people favor the Rugers for sustained firing of .357s is because 1) they have solid frames, and 2) they are easy to take apart and put back together. I don't recall whether the Dan Wesson had a solid frame or not, but they were definitely strong kiss ass revolvers. I didn't particularly like them because they were too heavy, and most of the ones I saw had underlugs; however, even those that didn't were too heavy, though the bluing was superb.

S&W 66 -- Slick!

The one thing that the K-frame Smith's didn't like was the light bullets (110/125gr JHPs). The ammo in the cave had Speer 140 JHPs and most likely were handload, who knows? But even a K-frame should be able to handle 2,500 rounds. To me, the Model 66 no-dash is one of the most beautiful .357s ever made. Bill Jordan really loved the Model 19 and could hit aspirins suspended from strings in rapid fire at 20 feet all day long.

The Ruger Security-Six was about the same size and could survive drops onto hard rocks while the 66s couldn't. The fellow who was a techie at the NRA, (C.E.) Ed Harris, ruined his Model 19 by putting too many 125gr JHPs through it. The first time was after about 2,000 hot handloads/factory loads through it. The second time (another 2,000+), he ruined it for good, to where he had to retire it and use .38s. The cover of the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN was blue and it was in the early 80s, I think, if any of you keep old issues. After that, he was dead set on the Ruger Security-Six, which he wasn't able to destroy. He had a bunch of .357s he tested, including a Llama .357. It was junk, but it helped fill up the page.

He should have tried the Ruger Security-Six, though he was absolutely right. I've never seen a 66 for sale in any store or pawn shop. And I've never seen a 19, either. It was a slick .357, especially with recessed cylinders and a stamped sideplate. Slick. Good word.

If he used heavier bullets, it's probably still in use.

Ruger Security-Six.

I love the Rugers because it's the only decent .357 DA revolver I could ever find. When I bought my first revolver, I came this close to not buying the Security-Six because I thought some clown was playing with a name like Luger. Colt I heard of. S&W I heard of, but who are ye? But there was a book store about a block away, and I found a magazine of handgun tests. It gave the Ruger Security-Six a "super A+" rating and said it was the best deal, and one of the strongest, in .357s. So I went back and bought it. Never regretted it.

BTW, the knives I'd pick are the Ontario Marine Raider and the Cold Steel (no relation) Recon 1 clip point w/5-inch blade (CTS-XHP steel).

--
    The Dan Wesson is solid, and built like a brick shithouse.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Rick Grimes doesn't agree with you. :lol2: :party29:

a63e4b137a2359c0154b0f8cb970cf0b.png

Rick Grimes is a Brit. He long ago surrendered his right to vote on this one.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Maybe this:
    Two of the reasons people favor the Rugers for sustained firing of .357s is because 1) they have solid frames, and 2) they are easy to take apart and put back together. I don't recall whether the Dan Wesson had a solid frame or not, but they were definitely strong kiss ass revolvers.

should read like this:
    Two of the reasons people favor the Rugers for sustained firing of .357s is because 1) they have solid frames, and 2) they are easy to take apart and put back together. I don't recall whether the Dan Wesson had a solid frame or not, but they were definitely strong kick ass revolvers.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not so much the pic of J.W. , but with the camera angle with that tv guy , there could well be wadcutters in the cylinder .

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Beretta 21A
    Interesting choice. Why the Beretta 21A?

Why do these guys always look like they just left a Macy's rather than a cattle roundup?

The Dan Wesson is solid, and built like a brick shithouse.
    YES, but does it have a solid frame? I honestly don't recall.

The Rugers yes. Here are some photos of the Ruger Security-Six and GP100 (insets).

I don't recall whether the Dan Wesson had a solid frame or not, but they were definitely strong kiss-ass revolvers.[/I]

...should read like this:

I don't recall whether the Dan Wesson had a solid frame or not, but they were definitely strong kick-ass revolvers.
    Yep, but now that you brought it up...I wonder? :D

Not so much the pic of J.W., but with the camera angle with that TV guy, there could well be wadcutters in the cylinder.
    ONE was a TV guy and the other was a JEHOVAH's WITNESS? Oh, you mean JOHN WAYNE? Or...was it JOHN WICK? Initials always confuse me! :sad20:

--

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Rick Grimes is a Brit. He long ago surrendered his right to vote on this one.
    HA! Good point, and well played. :D

I definitely have always liked the S&W line, although I suppose at some point I should try a 586/686 - I don't think I've ever tried a S&W L frame revolver - just the K frame of the Model 19, and the N frame of the Model 27/28.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'll stick with my 8 3/8" barrel 586, super accurate with iron sights and has the option of a scope.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
      IMG_1205.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 223
    • IMG_1203.jpg
      IMG_1203.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 227

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009

Attachments

• 20210225_183236.jpg
      20210225_183236.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 149
    • 103274.jpg
      103274.jpg
      37.2 KB · Views: 147
    • 20210225_183903.jpg
      20210225_183903.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 152
    • 150712_L.jpg
      150712_L.jpg
      34.4 KB · Views: 105
    Last edited:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    On top of the picture is a Smith and Wesson Model 27. Not as utilitarian and looks too nice to carrying around in a holster.
    In the middle is a Smith and Wesson model 66-1 Combat Magnum. This pistol is ranks tops with the smoothest trigger pull. Noted for forcing cones cracking it gets the back seat.
    The one on the bottom is a Ruger Speed six that is my truck gun so to speak. If I had to choose it will be this one due to its no frills model T functionality and built somewhat like a tank for its size.

Attachments

• 357s.jpg
      357s.jpg
      96.7 KB · Views: 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom