• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ParaFan

Dec 9, 2018
    A-holes gonna hoard...

...and then call you a commie for understanding economics better than they do. Oh, and call it "freedom." I would call your idea exercising our market power so manufacturers can't get away with gouging us any longer.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    ...and then call you a commie for understanding economics better than they do. Oh, and call it "freedom." I would call your idea exercising our market power so manufacturers can't get away with gouging us any longer.

Do you have any evidence that manufacturers are actually making more money, with their increased material costs, COVID overhead, etc? Please provide it.

In the meantime: “understanding economics” includes understanding scale and impact of a variable in the market. You have a market made up of tens of millions of ammo buyers, and the proposition is that a handful of users on a shooting forum in one of the country’s smaller states will, by suspending their purchases, impact demand enough to impact pricing across an enormous national (and global) industry that usually works in terms of long terms contracts. That “understanding” is wildly naive.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Bass Pro, 0900:

tumblr_me22errgsf1rlju0xo1_500.gif

Currently, all new ammo is in the hands of people who don't have to be at work before 0930.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

You still harping on this? I laugh every time I see the thread title of "Stop Buying..."

YOU stop buying, then you won't be "gouged".:lol2: Then they'll also be more ammo available for those that want it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah ( many people ) would indeed spend $80/ box on .243 .

IF they have Zero ( or even a partial box ) , they will buy ONE , or less often a maximum of two boxes . Use less than 10 rounds to sight in , and only shoot if aimed at a deer with remainder .

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

Then again you COULD mind your own business. :sad20: Hey if YOU can't afford $2,000 a round of 22 TOUGH! :P

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, one last entry and I'm done.

Regarding the seemingly huge ammo consumption of the 5M-7M new shooters.....Try a little data. US production of ammo is in excess of 9 BILLION rounds/year. Roughly 55% of consumption is made up of 9mm, 223, 45, and 22LR. Everything else makes up the other 45%. The military accounts for 2 BILLION or so.... What do you think new gun owners rushed out to buy this year? 26 Nosler? 270WSM? 280AI? I'd wager the wisdom of the "senior" posters that the overwhelming majority was 9mm, 223, 45, 22LR, and 12 gauge. So 5-7million new shooters at the 100rd number used here....eating into somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 billion production is an increase of 12-24%....IF...they're only buying the most popular rounds. I'm sure some bought 30-30s and 308s....right? And this assumes all production was being consumed (which it wasn't, or there would always be shortages) Oh, and we haven't accounted for existing inventory....Oh, and we haven't even accounted for foreign ammo supply....Russian, European... So, sorry, no, that's not where the shortage has been created.

I find the perspectives here very interesting. On one hand, you have those who clearly have more time on their hands than most to spend pontificating on a gun forum. Consider the possibility that you having THOUSANDS of posts doesn't equate to you being the oracle you seem to think you are. You attack those that aren't "senior", and turn everything into a brag session about yourself. Sorry, not worried about "pissing off" the club that seems to want to turn everything into a pissing match. On the other hand, there are those less interested in bragging/attacking and whose reading comprehension skills actually allowed them to get the point of the OP.

My shelves aren't empty, I've "been here before", and I'm more than capable of debating facts with those that have them, thank you. I do go out into the world, I do have friends/know people outside of this little forum, and (wow!) even outside of MD for that matter! Like I said, tell a friend. Yes, the madness will subside eventually. I, for one, was simply stating I'd like to see that happen sooner than later, and appealing to others who could actually do something to help in that regard. While you continue to drink your own self-made Kool-Aid, our rights continue to be eroded by those much more organized, capable of utilizing market forces to their advantage (not ours), and less prone to in-fighting than yourselves. Take care.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Meh. This is a good opportunity for folks with lots of time on their hands to wait in lines. Other folks with cash, but little time to squander are willing to pay these "finders" a premium for ammo.

That's pretty much capitalism in a nutshell. If you don't like it, go hug a tree.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Add .380 , .38spl, .357mag to high demand , with .40S&W and 20ga only 1/10 step behind .

While there are inherent constraints on total centerfire production with existing manufacturing capacity , it is easier for the manufacturers to tweek the specifics of What is made . So production of mid to low sales ammo would be shifted instead to the most in demand cals , in fewer variety of loadings .

delaneyesq

Sep 1, 2011
    If the President and the current Congress eliminate the PLCAA, ammunition manufacturers could become civilly liable for harm done by types or classes of ammunition. In addition, the President pledged to ban the online sale of ammunition. See link below. I think it not unlikely that, absent intervention by SCOTUS, you could see even bigger and longer-term problems with availability. I agree with all our free market thinkers, but when government interferes with the market, everything goes South.

https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/

See also this MD legislative proposal (background check and record keeping for ammo purchases): https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...ition-to-hb175-ammunition-sales-and-transfers

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah ( many people ) would indeed spend $80/ box on .243 .

IF they have Zero ( or even a partial box ) , they will buy ONE , or less often a maximum of two boxes . Use less than 10 rounds to sight in , and only shoot if aimed at a deer with remainder .

That is the thing.

Since they can't buy that one box for the year, when they see it, they buy more, so the next guy can't find any. So when it finds it, he buys extra.

Figure, if everyone buys 2 boxes instead of one, you double the demand. The industry can ramp up by about 30% (based on them doing so last year).

So double the purchases, with 30% more production, means a shortfall of 70% of sales for a typical year.

2019 production is expected to be about 9 billion rounds. So double that would be 18 billion rounds demand (just by everyone buying 2 instead of 1 box), but a capacity to make only 11.7 billion. A shortfall of 6.3 billion.

Instant deep shortage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well, one last entry and I'm done.

Regarding the seemingly huge ammo consumption of the 5M-7M new shooters.....Try a little data. US production of ammo is in excess of 9 BILLION rounds/year. Roughly 55% of consumption is made up of 9mm, 223, 45, and 22LR. Everything else makes up the other 45%. The military accounts for 2 BILLION or so.... What do you think new gun owners rushed out to buy this year? 26 Nosler? 270WSM? 280AI? I'd wager the wisdom of the "senior" posters that the overwhelming majority was 9mm, 223, 45, 22LR, and 12 gauge. So 5-7million new shooters at the 100rd number used here....eating into somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 billion production is an increase of 12-24%....IF...they're only buying the most popular rounds. I'm sure some bought 30-30s and 308s....right? And this assumes all production was being consumed (which it wasn't, or there would always be shortages) Oh, and we haven't accounted for existing inventory....Oh, and we haven't even accounted for foreign ammo supply....Russian, European... So, sorry, no, that's not where the shortage has been created.

Out of that 9 billion rounds, 5 billion are rimfire, or 55%.

So more 55% are 9mm, .223, .45, and rimfire.

Also, that 9 billion is for the US market, so does not include military production, as they make their own.

As stated in my other post, based on industry interviews, last year they were able to increase production by 30%. Or about 2.7 billion rounds.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Allow the natural forces to work. I am happy when I see ammunition in the MDS classifieds. Fill that classified section up. When there is enough people selling ammunition the price will crest and start to fall.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Allow the natural forces to work. I am happy when I see ammunition in the MDS classifieds. Fill that classified section up. When there is enough people selling ammunition the price will crest and start to fall.

There have been quite a few ad's in the last several weeks for below market pricing on ammo. Those ad's hardly stay up for more than an hour or so. Most are gone in minutes.

We've got quite a while before the Blue Wave subsides when it comes to 2A supply & demand balancing out.

Just wait until Nancy pelosi and the House of Representatives start debating the proposed gun control legislation. The media will begin sensationalizing previous mass shooting and what little ammunition is left at any price we'll also disappear from the shelves and there will be nothing available. I also suspect that when Congress does start to debate these new proposed gun control bills you're going to see at least one if not multiple mass shooting attacks somewhere in the country.

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    I bought a couple of hundred rounds a few years ago. Some target and some for protection. Now that Biden was selected I am mostly keeping for protection. But if I have to go through a few hundred rounds for protection I will probably be dead anyway but I'll be taking others with me. I expect anything can happen with Uncle Joe and Aunt Teefa running this deep state scam operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom