• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Ok, from an NFA perspective, I know that Gatling style guns are no different than any semi auto, and they used to be considered cash and carry firearms in MD, same as a single shot rifle. With the ban on rapid fire trigger devices, however, I'm not sure where these fit. The ban included trigger crank devices. Strictly speaking a Gatling gun doesn't use a trigger crank (ie a crank that externally attaches to a trigger), it uses a crank trigger (ie the crank is the trigger mechanism). Does anyone know if these are still legal in the "free State" of Maryland?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Gatlings are not semi auto. Or do you mean one of those crank-and-cam gimcracks?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Ok, from an NFA perspective, I know that Gatling style guns are no different than any semi auto, and they used to be considered cash and carry firearms in MD, same as a single shot rifle. With the ban on rapid fire trigger devices, however, I'm not sure where these fit. The ban included trigger crank devices. Strictly speaking a Gatling gun doesn't use a trigger crank (ie a crank that externally attaches to a trigger), it uses a crank trigger (ie the crank is the trigger mechanism). Does anyone know if these are still legal in the "free State" of Maryland?
    I wouldn’t let them try to sell you a Galtling gun, that may not be a real thing....:innocent0

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Legal in Maryland

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Gatlings are not semi auto. Or do you mean one of those crank-and-cam gimcracks?

Gatling guns are semi-auto, mini-guns are what you are thinking of, that have electronics and are one pull/thousands of rounds. Those are legal in Maryland as well as Gatling guns.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There is a company that makes a small wheel mounted modern 9mm Gatlin gun... takes large Glock mags and operates on a true crank system with multiple rotating barrels. Saw one on display in WV and was overcome with a severe case of want.

I want you to want this.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Gatlings are not semi auto.

They are mechanically operated repeaters, more like a cluster of (ten or so) lever action rifles.

The power of the discharging round, whether from the gas or the recoil, or even the primer setback, has nothing to do with the functioning of the weapon.

They are mechanically operated magazine rifles, same as a bolt action.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=163617

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=105821&highlight=gatling

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=100209&highlight=gatling

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom