• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Our trees around our property have done far better this year than last. We had very few last year and the ones we did have came down in a storm and were ruined. The fruit this year is still hard as a rock but there's probably 5 times as much as last year.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Our trees around our property have done far better this year than last. We had very few last year and the ones we did have came down in a storm and were ruined. The fruit this year is still hard as a rock but there's probably 5 times as much as last year.

Will they ripen on the counter top nicely?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    never tried the counter top. We normally shake the tree with the right arm and cover your head with the left. ;) The ripe ones fall off.

Once they hit the ground and found a day later the ants are all over them.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Very interesting fruit. The flavor is like a cross between a really ripe banana and a mango. The texture is mushy- almost like a custard or really overripe avocado, which is off putting to quite a few people.
    They seem like they belong in the tropics; not the mid Atlantic states.

Can you freeze them once they are ripe?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Some are ready and some aren’t right now and a few are past done. Gathered a beeping 5 gallon bucket and got 16.5# of pulp and seeds to cook out

Attachments

• E193D716-EF82-4B6B-8514-7E78FD27D90C.jpg
      E193D716-EF82-4B6B-8514-7E78FD27D90C.jpg
      102.4 KB · Views: 120

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    This is what they look like when the ants get at them and when one the size of a potato falls off and you step on it looking for it

Attachments

• 44C9FA37-9323-4EA7-95E2-384BB0FAF0DC.jpg
      44C9FA37-9323-4EA7-95E2-384BB0FAF0DC.jpg
      129.3 KB · Views: 163
    • 56ABBE31-815A-4579-8B3A-E4D10016A058.jpg
      56ABBE31-815A-4579-8B3A-E4D10016A058.jpg
      151.4 KB · Views: 166

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I found some clusters without fruit period. Some with ready fruit and some with not ready fruit. I found some old paw paws on the ground. The season has started and not ended yet,

I got to say Canning paw paw butter has to be the hardest canning I have done to date. If it didn't taste so damn good, I might not do it again. Plus, no amount of money can buy you this as it is not sold.
    - I spent two hours with the dogs canvasing the creek bed and got a heeping 5 gallon bucket
    - Left at 7:30, talk tot he buddy a bit and back at 10:30 and 2 hours splitting and coring the meat and seeds from the skins
    - Then cooked almost two hours and could used more.
    - Rested 2 hours to cool to pull the seeds
    - 2 hours almost separating the seeds. Jesus! This needs an intervention and better idea on faster processing!!!!!!
    - Heat it back up and stir like crazy as this thick crap that will splatter if you are not stirring it every minute.
    - Water bath 14 pints and one refrigerator plus from this entire ordeal.

I already got requests from family and friends for this so it looks like next Saturday will be this again.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The farm we hunt is invested with paw paws now. They used to be on the creek bed. Now they are everywhere. The deer and us have been spreading them. I can't count how many mid sized trees I stop to investigate that aren't fruiting yet. This place is going to be swimming in them in a few years. But, ... I'd wagerer a bet no one will work hard enough to can them like this. This, is, A lot, of work!!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The farm we hunt is invested with paw paws now. They used to be on the creek bed. Now they are everywhere. The deer and us have been spreading them. I can't count how many mid sized trees I stop to investigate that aren't fruiting yet. This place is going to be swimming in them in a few years. But, ... I'd wagerer a bet no one will work hard enough to can them like this. This, is, A lot, of work!!

I will have some planted at some point

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom