first time AR buyer. what is legal here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    looking to buy my first AR15 and went to get the cheapest one I can find. I went to a gun shop and their lowest priced one was a lot higher than what I've seen online. are either of these legal to buy here if I don't get the magazine with it? what spec other than the magazine capacity can I NOT have in MD? I know I could read MD laws, but I thought maybe someone could save me time and give me the cliff notes. Thanks in advance

https://www.classicfirearms.com/delton-dt-sport-m2-556-black/

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...er+ar556+556+161+black+6+position+stock+30+1+
    e167279aaa126b5f353290ca1b035849.jpg
    4dc1c1a6f11d283cc55f197af99c72c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

KGB-SPY

Sep 30, 2013
    Pikesville, MD
    1. Find the rifle, make sure it's marketed as HBAR for DI rifles. If it's piston driven system, then you don't have to worry about being a copycat.
    2. Check MDSP to make sure it's not banned here in MD.
    3. Find a dealer (FFL holder) who will be doing a transfer and their fee.
    4. Buy standard capacity magazines by going across to PA, VA and bring them with you.
    5. Enjoy!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You might consider investing a little bit more than the absolute cheapest price available and start a relationship with your Local Gun Shop. You can be confident that something your LGS sells off of his rack will be legal. If you have any problems with it, there is a much better chance that he will help you out with a gun you bought from him than one you just transferred through him. After you become a regular customer, you might find that he'll start knocking a few bucks off his sticker prices...and get real competitive to online deals (especially figuring on shipping and transfer fees)...especially if you bring cash.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    even both of those choices are high compared to what I've recently seen.

my advice hard pass on both at those prices.

Ruger does make a MD compliant model and it's a decent rifle.

"poverty tier" ARs are back to sub 500. you can get a PSA upper / lower. With shipping and transfer its another probably $80.

personally I would shop around at some LGS outside central MD first and see what you can get. Central MD is high cost of living and the prices are high.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Don't forget to factor in shipping and transfer fees when comparing online and LGS pricing. Sometimes local turns out to be a better deal.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Building one yourself will save you $$$. Any Mil-spec by Anderson/ PSA lower receiver will be fine, should be less than $100.

Then buy built kit with complete HBAR upper and lower parts from Delton: https://www.del-ton.com/Rifle-Kit-p/rkt101.htm $390 plus Tax/ Shipping currently. They have Free-shipping from time to time, like last weekend.

The most difficult part through this route is putting Lower part kits / Lower receiver together. But if you have friends who had built this before, it will be a no brainer. Youtube is your library.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Simple Answer - Stop looking at the internet , or reading Shotgun News . All the blowout sale prices are for 45 State Legal guns , not Md Compliant version . You will just tease and frustrate yourself .

If it's on the shelf at Md dealer , it's legal .

Check prices at MD dealers with rep for good prices , such as JLowes .

The absolute cheapest may not be best choice , and a mid price @ $8-900 may be better value .

Among Md Compliant AR , the Windom Weapons HBC is your yardstick for both price and quality .

No , in Md you can't get the cool toys at cheap prices as in Free America . It's Maryland . Maryland sucks . Accept the suckage , or relocate across the state line .

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Simple Answer - Stop looking at the internet , or reading Shotgun News . All the blowout sale prices are for 45 State Legal guns , not Md Compliant version . You will just tease and frustrate yourself .

If it's on the shelf at Md dealer , it's legal .

Check prices at MD dealers with rep for good prices , such as JLowes .

The absolute cheapest may not be best choice , and a mid price @ $8-900 may be better value .

Among Md Compliant AR , the Windom Weapons HBC is your yardstick for both price and quality .

No , in Md you can't get the cool toys at cheap prices as in Free America . It's Maryland . Maryland sucks . Accept the suckage , or relocate across the state line .

About sums it up, unfortunately.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    bca complete upper with 18" stainless heavy barrel, mid length gas, bolt carrier and charging handle $275 plus shipping.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/22...1-8-twist-mid-length-15-handguard-rc-bur.html

Now find a complete lower and you are in business. PSA has one for $130, plus shipping and ffl transfer, if you call around to LGS and see you might do better.

but "the cheapest one I can find." should be sub 500, you just might have to get the upper/lower separately. spend the rest on an optic.

also, I am in no way endorsing these rifles. they will be minute of man accurate to 200 yds.

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    thanks all for the replies. dont know why the app isnt showing notifications for the replies.. i found it hard to believe that there were no replies yet so i went to my profile and my posts and saw that there were replies. will read through them and reply individually

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    exactly

Don't forget to factor in shipping and transfer fees when comparing online and LGS pricing. Sometimes local turns out to be a better deal.

This right here. Thought online AR lower prices were great. Then after shipping and transfer fees, they ended up about $25 higher than comparable ones at local dealers...unless you want that specific one..

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    1. Find the rifle, make sure it's marketed as HBAR for DI rifles. If it's piston driven system, then you don't have to worry about being a copycat.
    2. Check MDSP to make sure it's not banned here in MD.
    3. Find a dealer (FFL holder) who will be doing a transfer and their fee.
    4. Buy standard capacity magazines by going across to PA, VA and bring them with you.
    5. Enjoy!
    #1 sounds complicated.. I'll have to educate myself on youtube.. I can also check with an FFL. thanks for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom