• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The five gallon bucket made 15 pints. One went right to the fridge.

I need to find a better way I’d separating the seeds from the pulp than just my fingers. Extremely time consuming, messy and a PITA

Attachments

• 8824056D-60F4-4093-A2A8-DF2F3D929F3F.jpg
      8824056D-60F4-4093-A2A8-DF2F3D929F3F.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 191

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    If someone has any uncooked seeds ill take them.

I threw away all my cooked seeds and the compost pile has a few I threw out from ones that were not ripe. I'm not digging through that though. I may try again next weekend and use the masher like you showed and can save some for you. I think picking through ahead of time might be easier and then i don;t need to let it cool to pick them out and probably not as messy with the pulp being more firm, hopefully.

Also, you all planning on growing these, you have a woods to plant them in? These are an under story tree and I have only seen them growing in the woods. I have never seen one growing in direct sunlight. They also grow more from rhizome sprouts on the same first tree. One tree can make a small grove a few years after growing.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I threw away all my cooked seeds and the compost pile has a few I threw out from ones that were not ripe. I'm not digging through that though. I may try again next weekend and use the masher like you showed and can save some for you. I think picking through ahead of time might be easier and then i don;t need to let it cool to pick them out and probably not as messy with the pulp being more firm, hopefully.

Also, you all planning on growing these, you have a woods to plant them in? These are an under story tree and I have only seen them growing in the woods. I have never seen one growing in direct sunlight. They also grow more from rhizome sprouts on the same first tree. One tree can make a small grove a few years after growing.

Yes, id like to try and sprout some. They will be planted in woods, there might be some there already.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I am not sure the food mill is going to work unless you really cook it a long time. Mine after an hour was still chunky and I used an immersion blender on it. But give it a shot and we will all learn something. ;) Maybe it will reduce the vast quantity and make it easier to find the seeds. The problem with cooking and then finding seeds is resting it to cool off to touch it. Then having to heat it back up for the water bath part.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I wish and I'd have to look at it. I got the Lem big bite juicer and it has a plastic soft plug at the end to build pressure and I think the seeds are so big they will crush in it, or blow the end off the juicer and maybe mess it up. Some of these seeds look like 2x Kidney beans.

Mako

MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2016
    ES of MD
    Yes, id like to try and sprout some. They will be planted in woods, there might be some there already.

Plant them where they will live or something with room, because they do not transplant well. They utilize a central tap root that if damaged or destroyed will likely kill them off. If starting in pots use a long pot that will allow the root room to grow if transplanting.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Plant them where they will live or something with room, because they do not transplant well. They utilize a central tap root that if damaged or destroyed will likely kill them off. If starting in pots use a long pot that will allow the root room to grow if transplanting.

Cool. Not sure what trees i have there. But i got shade and damp area so should be good.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Got 11.5# of meat and seeds cooking now. This is the prime time to the end. Should have walked middle of the week as many were on the ground and some ruined. Should be much sweeter and better this week.

[EDIT] 13 more pints on the shelf. Cut the recipe in paw paw to other ingredients to sweeten and strengthen it up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom