• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    We sold at the peak of the market and moved full time to West Va. We haven't looked back and couldn't be happier! It's awesome.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    The clock has started, now at 30 days and counting.

Almost all of the items in my op have found new homes. FB Marketplace has been great - although we were hesitant to use it initially. Much less hassle and work than yard sales.

We go to settlement here the end of September with a free rent back through 31 Oct. We've got our temporary housing in place and anticipate heading over the 301/"NotSo"Nice bridge for the last time in mid-Oct. Our new place had the slab poured 10 days ago and framing should begin soon :).

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20210911_170536(1).jpg
      Resized_Resized_20210911_170536(1).jpg
      157.4 KB · Views: 275

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Congrats! It's beautiful area. I love the white sands beaches around there. Watch out for under current warning.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I wonder if you included any backup battery like genrac when you built your house in case you lose power...

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Congrats! It's beautiful area. I love the white sands beaches around there. Watch out for under current warning.
    Thanks, and yeah it can be dangerous. Hoping it won't be a problem sitting poolside :innocent0.
    Added an image of our home to my post.

Yes, a genny is on the list. Fortunately we have natural gas....as long as service is not shut off during an emergency.

Believe me, we know the risks associated with living there and it's been a topic of discussion for me and my wife, family and friends. Everyone has an opinion. Life is one big roll of the dice, so we'll see.

Dec 29, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Congrats! We're considering leaving MD too. I wanted FL, my wife wanted NC, so we might compromise on SC.

We're considering building too, as the market is crazy as you mentioned, and house hunting from afar in this market would be complicated.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    We are moving too. It will be in early 2023 though when we retire. We have started preparing the house to be on the market next year.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Awesome OP, glad it worked out for you. My in-laws just sold, they close next week, and are having a house built in Cape Coral. Florida has too many obstacles for me to live their full time (hurricanes, gators, big snakes and people from Florida). I can retire in exactly 5 years from today. We plan to move to upstate South Carolina near a lake and either build a house or get an older house on some land and renovate it. I cannot wait to escape the liberal utopia that is Maryland...

Awesome OP, glad it worked out for you. My in-laws just sold, they close next week, and are having a house built in Cape Coral. Florida has too many obstacles for me to live their full time (hurricanes, gators, big snakes and people from Florida). I can retire in exactly 5 years from today. We plan to move to upstate South Carolina near a lake and either build a house or get an older house on some land and renovate it. I cannot wait to escape the liberal utopia that is Maryland...

Those obstacles are the same for me. I have a small dog and I hear stories about gators coming out to eat a small dog while the owner is out walking it, even with a leash.

Another worry of mine which is not specific to Florida are the senior communities because I don't know how the properties appreciate or depreciate because when I eventually die and it has to be sold, it is a limited buyer market.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Those obstacles are the same for me. I have a small dog and I hear stories about gators coming out to eat a small dog while the owner is out walking it, even with a leash.

Another worry of mine which is not specific to Florida are the senior communities because I don't know how the properties appreciate or depreciate because when I eventually die and it has to be sold, it is a limited buyer market.

Well, the good news is that once you're dead, it won't be your problem! But, there will be plenty of old folks coming up after you too, so I don't think there is a limited buyer market.

OP, glad you made it out, I'm jealous! My in-laws should be arriving in Florida this morning as well. They were hanging out in this area, camping, for a while. Friday morning they started their journey down south. Great timing, as it got into the 40's last night!

Hope you enjoy your new digs and the political climate down there!

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    We've been here (Navarre) about 2-1/2 weeks, and nearly every day has been perfect weather. Mid 70's and sunshine. We've settled into out temp. home and met a few neighbors. It's been great!

One thing we weren't aware of with the rental is one of our neighbors is Hurlburt Field...specifically the ordnance range. :innocent0 :shocked3: :whoa:. In fact, they are tearing it up over there as I write this. :D:patriot:. Oh, and this area has bears. Lizards, snakes, bugs I was ready for...not bears.

Our new place is about to start framing, and we're told it may be ready for us by April.

The Blue Angels are back in Pensacola after the completion of their show circuit for the year. Friday and Saturday are the show days, but today and tomorrow are prep days for them. We headed over to P-cola Beach to catch some action. Sunset pic from our temp digs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211103-190114_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20211103-190114_Gallery.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 143
    • Screenshot_20211103-190614_Video Editor.jpg
      Screenshot_20211103-190614_Video Editor.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 142
    • 20211103_180827.jpg
      20211103_180827.jpg
      46.8 KB · Views: 143

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts