• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Every single person in this thread forgot to add the sarcasm emoji. :gun1:

For the people curious about metal work (regardless of the product): For thin metal, you can hammer and dolly out most imperfections. Methods vary, but heat is not used. Now if you want to shrink metal, you can heat it until it's warm and quench with a cool rag.

For MUCH, MUCH more info, see here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU4f0UCOfiB32Lo4Z6NDghA

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My guess is his P.38 mags were damaged / dented based on the context.
    I've got more than a few with a "dimple" or two, usually doesn't affect follower travel but looks less than stellar.

It's hard to say what brand of mags the OP is referring to, but I believe his theory is to remove(in this example) the ridges from this magazine pictured, on might be able to squeeze a couple more rounds in it. If this is what he's asking, I don't see it working for two reasons. He'll lose rigidity in the mag and the followers would probably need to be redesigned.

Attachments

• mag.jpg
      mag.jpg
      31.3 KB · Views: 169

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It's hard to say what brand of mags the OP is referring to, but I believe his theory is to remove(in this example) the ridges from this magazine pictured, on might be able to squeeze a couple more rounds in it. If this is what he's asking, I don't see it working for two reasons. He'll lose rigidity in the mag and the followers would probably need to be redesigned.

I don't think that's it.

You can't remove those, in addition to the reasons you mentioned the magazine would be physically larger front to back afterward no matter how you approached it.

By dimple I think he means what is shown in the center of this mag. It is not part of the mag design, it was put there prior to sale to limit a standard capacity mag by preventing the follower from moving down past the dimple. I think the OP wants to restore the original capacity in such a mag.

As others have pointed out, it would have to be done out of state, and if he's out of state he should just buy normal mags and be done.

Attachments

• 20210921-174828.jpg
      20210921-174828.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 163

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't think that's it.

You can't remove those, in addition to the reasons you mentioned the magazine would be physically larger front to back afterward no matter how you approached it.

By dimple I think he means what is shown in the center of this mag. It is not part of the mag design, it was put there prior to sale to limit a standard capacity mag by preventing the follower from moving down past the dimple. I think the OP wants to restore the original capacity in such a mag.

As others have pointed out, it would have to be done out of state, and if he's out of state he should just buy normal mags and be done.

You're probably right, but not knowing exactly what mags he was talking about and a quick search of a hundred or so mag pics, I took the liberty of a shortcut. If that was in fact what he was referring to or in either case, he was way off track. Those are not incidental dings. Those are intentional impressions involving the actual stretching of the steel.

And as you(and a half dozen others) suggested, he would need to be out of state to do it and could easily buy standard cap mags anyways.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016

Yes. This is correct. It's a dimple that's been put in to the sides of the magazine to limit the follower and thus limit the amount of rounds that can be put in.

The instructions have been very helpful.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    A dimple like that looks way more severe and acute than a ding in automotive sheet metal. I really don't think those kind of techniques would work. The metal has been stretched, a lot. Trying to shrink it (unlike board stretchers, metal shrinkers are a real thing...but I don't think they'd work here) by pounding that metal back in and hoping it all gets mashed back where it came from without displacing any other metal isn't very likely.

The drilling out of state certainly seems to me like the most feasible technique. You'll have to use a bit big enough to gobble up every bit of the impression, and it will probably leave a bur inside the hole that could snag the mag. Use a deburring tool like this: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/91032193 with the recurved bit to remove it.

Good luck, and report back with your successes (or...other learning experiences :o )

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    A dimple like that looks way more severe and acute than a ding in automotive sheet metal. I really don't think those kind of techniques would work. The metal has been stretched, a lot. Trying to shrink it (unlike board stretchers, metal shrinkers are a real thing...but I don't think they'd work here) by pounding that metal back in and hoping it all gets mashed back where it came from without displacing any other metal isn't very likely.
    That's the problem with trying to heat/hammer a magazine...you have no way to support the backside of the metal, so you just end up smashing it in. Which is why people drill them and not heat/hammer them.

Sawney Beane

Jun 16, 2021
    I mean no disrespect, but this is the silliest way to get a hi-cap mag in Maryland I've ever heard of. Plus ten mags are illegal to sell in Maryland but perfectly legal to possess (for now). For instance there are any number of dealers in our lovely state that sell (legally) 30 round AR mags with a popsicle stick inside limiting it to 10 rounds. If you take the stick out when you get home everything is fine. You can also easily go to Pennsylvania, Delaware or Virginia and fill your trunk with them and bring them home. What am I missing here? The law only applies to DEALERS!

JMB

Jan 30, 2019
    Magazines

I’m fortunate that I’m able to obtain standard capacity magazines. I don’t have many neutered magazines. Magazines may be “perishable” items but they can be expensive to replace.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    As a blacksmith who heats and forges metal I would say what the OP proposes could be done. To do it efficiently and accurately you would have to build a jig to support the mag body internally and using an arbor press would be a better solution than a hammer and an oxygen acetylene torch with with a small tip to localize the heating to just the dimple. Heat the dimple very quickly, to minimize heat spread, to forging temperature insert the mag on the jig and press the area flat then quickly quench to minimize heat effects. You want to reform the metal while it is at a forging heat and by the time you are done pressing the ram and jig should have soaked up enough heat so it is below critical temperature when you quench it which will prevent hardening the metal, the area where the dimple was and some of the surrounding area will be in the annealed condition the extent will depend on how far you allowed the heat to spread.

A much easier and safer, totally legal answer would be to sell his 10 round magazines in Maryland where they are needed and then travel out of state and with the money from the sale purchase whatever size magazines he desires and bring them home with him. Any difference in cost will be the cost of his self insurance for the risk of screwing up a mag or two trying to Buba his existing mags to remove the dimples and making them worthless.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I mean no disrespect, but this is the silliest way to get a hi-cap mag in Maryland I've ever heard of. Plus ten mags are illegal to sell in Maryland but perfectly legal to possess (for now). For instance there are any number of dealers in our lovely state that sell (legally) 30 round AR mags with a popsicle stick inside limiting it to 10 rounds. If you take the stick out when you get home everything is fine. You can also easily go to Pennsylvania, Delaware or Virginia and fill your trunk with them and bring them home. What am I missing here? The law only applies to DEALERS!

The law applies to everyone! Removing the popsicle stick while in Maryland is illegal.
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.
    Link to the law
    https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2018/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-3/section-4-305/

Sawney Beane

Jun 16, 2021
    The law applies to everyone! Removing the popsicle stick while in Maryland is illegal.

Link to the law
    https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2018/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-3/section-4-305/
    The law speaks for itself and is very clear. If it can hold more than 10 rounds when purchased it is illegal. Believe me a "sticked" magazine that can hold only 10 rounds is not a problem and are sold by any number of dealers. These are not low profile dealers either. So to each his own.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    The law speaks for itself and is very clear. If it can hold more than 10 rounds when purchased it is illegal. Believe me a "sticked" magazine that can hold only 10 rounds is not a problem and are sold by any number of dealers. These are not low profile dealers either. So to each his own.

You missed his point.

You said in your previous post:

If you take the stick out when you get home everything is fine.

You would not be fine. Arguably, you just manfactured a high-capacity magazine, in Maryland, where you are under Maryland jurisdiction.

As you said, the law speaks for itself and is very clear.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

You do not understand what the law says and what the possible legal ramifications of violating it are. There have been many detailed discussions of this law and it has been explained by forum members who are lawyers very familiar with firearm laws. You need to do additional research.

Since you are new perhaps you have not read the Forum Rules if not you should because one of them says:
    Illegal Activity: No threads or posts discussing how to violate laws.

Here is a link to the Forum Rules so you can make sure you don't unintentionally violate another one. The Mods keep a close watch and violating them can get you banned, something that has happened to some senior and respected members.
    Link
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=56622

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Before this thread goes wrong, I'll add a few points so there is less confusion. Any augmentation would be done outside of Maryland, thus getting by any definition of "manufacturing". Secondly this is not about saving money or a trip to another state, it's just an exercise in what could be done and without drilling the dimples. Also, I'm not concerned if the magazine is damaged in the process or worried that these magazine could fail me if my life depended upon it. My life will never depend upon the proper feed of a bullet from a magazine.

Thanks Blacksmith101 for your information.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Before this thread goes wrong, I'll add a few points so there is less confusion. Any augmentation would be done outside of Maryland, thus getting by any definition of "manufacturing". Secondly this is not about saving money or a trip to another state, it's just an exercise in what could be done and without drilling the dimples. Also, I'm not concerned if the magazine is damaged in the process or worried that these magazine could fail me if my life depended upon it. My life will never depend upon the proper feed of a bullet from a magazine.

Thanks Blacksmith101 for your information.

Waaaaay too late...

Augmentation is augmentation. You're going the long way around the barn. What, exactly, is wrong with removing the dimple through standard means, i.e. drilling?

You say your life will never rely on a properly feeding magazine? Sell that stuff to anyone whose been in a gun fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom