• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Belgian Bad A$$

Tired of being ignored, living the single life!
    Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Hi y'all. Its me, Ducky, saying hey. I disappeared for 1.5 years. I work at a senior living community and all I can say is 2020 and well, most of 2021 has been rough. I literally moved my sewing room to my office at work and sewed masks in March, April and May last year. Took a toll on me. I thank my wonderful husband, Kicken Wing, for his support. I'm happy to have some free time on my hands now so I'll be on here more. You have been warned!

I did manage to buy myself a Tikka T3x TACT A1 6.5 creedmoor this year. Just need to get a scope and it'll be ready. Cant wait to shoot it!

Y'all have a good day!

Hi y'all. Its me, Ducky, saying hey. I disappeared for 1.5 years. I work at a senior living community and all I can say is 2020 and well, most of 2021 has been rough. I literally moved my sewing room to my office at work and sewed masks in March, April and May last year. Took a toll on me. I thank my wonderful husband, Kicken Wing, for his support. I'm happy to have some free time on my hands now so I'll be on here more. You have been warned!

I did manage to buy myself a Tikka T3x TACT A1 6.5 creedmoor this year. Just need to get a scope and it'll be ready. Cant wait to shoot it!

Y'all have a good day!

On a positive note, will I be seeing you next Saturday in WV? I know I'll be seeing your husband.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Y'all have a good day!

Sheesh, nice gun! Welcome back. Thanks for taking care of the elderly during a very difficult time.

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Hey y'all. Im not a front line worker. I work in the executive suite. But during our outbreak i had to don full PPE and help move residents belongings to the covid unit. Honestly it was not fun, pretty or relaxing. It was very devastating on my being.

Thats one reason I bought myself the Tikka. I needed a treat! Now I'm waiting on Kicken Wing to buy me the Tundra I want may be waiting a while for that!

Y'all be good!!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Glad you are back missed the better half of the family.

A question since you probably made more masks than most and are thereby the resident expert. In case we hit another crises do you have any recommendations on making masks like best materials, or designs, any tips?

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Glad you are back missed the better half of the family.

A question since you probably made more masks than most and are thereby the resident expert. In case we hit another crises do you have any recommendations on making masks like best materials, or designs, any tips?
    Well at my facility we are now required to wear either n95 or surgical masks. No cloth masks allowed anymore.

I was making 100% 45" wide cotton, front and back, with a fusible interfacing, also front and back. Sew together with the pleats and elastic earloops. Back in april of 2020 supplies became scarce. Specifically the interfacing and elastic.

We wore these masks, which were washed in hot water daily, until im guessing july 2021.

I dont know what you are looking for, or what your requirements are but if you should need a couple cotton masks, i can hook you up, my friend. Or if youd like i can send you the pattern and instructions on how to make.

Also if you plan to make in bulk, treat it like an assembly line. Cut out first, fuse interfacing, insert elastic, pleat, sew. Theres more steps then just these, but you get the gist of it. As for design, make sure you put in pleats so the mask will curve your face.

One last tip, buy your materials early! Joann fabrics and craft has all the materials as does most fabric stores.

Its good to be back in with the group! Missed laughing my a$$ off at the comments and learning new stuff and making new like minded friends!!

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Well at my facility we are now required to wear either n95 or surgical masks. No cloth masks allowed anymore.

I was making 100% 45" wide cotton, front and back, with a fusible interfacing, also front and back. Sew together with the pleats and elastic earloops. Back in april of 2020 supplies became scarce. Specifically the interfacing and elastic.

We wore these masks, which were washed in hot water daily, until im guessing july 2021.

I dont know what you are looking for, or what your requirements are but if you should need a couple cotton masks, i can hook you up, my friend. Or if youd like i can send you the pattern and instructions on how to make.

Also if you plan to make in bulk, treat it like an assembly line. Cut out first, fuse interfacing, insert elastic, pleat, sew. Theres more steps then just these, but you get the gist of it. As for design, make sure you put in pleats so the mask will curve your face.

One last tip, buy your materials early! Joann fabrics and craft has all the materials as does most fabric stores.

Its good to be back in with the group! Missed laughing my a$$ off at the comments and learning new stuff and making new like minded friends!!
    PS you can also use 100% cotton flannel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Am I misreading , but wouldn't 45 " either hang below your knees , or wrap several times around your head ?

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Am I misreading , but wouldn't 45 " either hang below your knees , or wrap several times around your head ?
    Shoot, sorry. Guess i should have been more clear. Didnt give enough info. I worked at a fabric store for 10.5 years. 45" fabric is cut down to the size you need. If i remember right, and without checking the pattern, you cut down 45" fabric into 9" x 12" pieces. 45" cotton typically has a selvage edge which means you can get 3 pieces of 12" in 9" x 45" strips. With the interfacing its typically 22" wide which means you get one 9" x 12" piece and then you use the scraps to piece it together so as to not waste the interfacing. Of course you could cut in the opposite direction. Hope that wasnt too much fabric talk!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    PS you can also use 100% cotton flannel.

What you posted was what I was looking for, a general overview as I am certain every seamstress personalizes the work. I worked for awhile at the company that makes the space suits for the astronauts and part of my job was keeping the sewers happy. They had to sew to a tolerance of 1/16" that is plus or minus 1/32". They used special machines and in some areas like pleats at the finger joints they sewed one stitch at a time.

Thank you for your information and welcome back.

PS - I am using the 95 masks now that they are available again. I suspect they may get scarce again so everyone should stock up while they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom