• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ICTbee

Feb 19, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    Hi Re-loaders,

I have stored my reloading data for batch, cartridge, OAL... on everything from notebooks to Excel spreadsheets over 40 years. Recently I started compiling the data and saw a software called Reloading Studio. When researching the latest version and dates I noticed the last blog entry was Feb 2019. So with two good strong fingers and the will of God I set out on a mission to find a database that was current. I even searched this forum and the best i could come up with was Quick load and GNR. One is a bit pricey and the other is native in metric.

What I am looking for is a program similar to reloading workshop (trial version only and offline since 2018), that has been updated in the last 3 months that is not specific to rifle reloading like quick load. I am by far not the guru and I know there are lot more experienced re-loaders than I however I do reload for Weatherby's and a 44 Automag so the ability add custom cartridge is needed.

What is everyone using and does anyone know of a current software? Am I looking for a Unicorn?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your input,

Your Bud, T

Sarguy7777

Kwitcherbitchin
    Feb 26, 2012
    Odenton
    I've been diving down a similar rabbit hole, and found squat as well.

I'm starting to create my own database in Microsoft Access.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    This has been discussed here before.
    I, like many other application-savy individuals, have created a database using MS Access.
    Most people build their own tool.

Good luck.

Sarguy7777

Kwitcherbitchin
    Feb 26, 2012
    Odenton
    This has been discussed here before.
    I, like many other application-savy individuals, have created a database using MS Access.
    Most people build their own tool.

Good luck.

Thanks! Yeah, I searched around a bit on here too and couldn't find anything really useful. Once I get something working I may offer it out to forum members to get them started.

I tried using excel but I really want an input form that I can update with each load, calculating cost/etc, and I want that form input to populate other tables, and decrement my inventory. I don't want to have a write a ton of VBA (cause it's gross). At a certain point I just came to my senses and realized that I'm trying to force excel to do what access was designed for. :)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I even searched this forum and the best i could come up with was Quick load and GNR. One is a bit pricey and the other is native in metric.

Bud. I am not familiar with Reloaders workshop but I have used both Quickload and GRT. (I think that’s what you meant by GNR). GRT is by default metric but the standard units can be quickly switched to US/Standard with the click of a mouse.

They are much more in-depth than simple database record keeping systems but once you get familiar with them, I find they are very powerful tools for load development and for confirming previous load performance.

I had posted a thread comparing the two software products a few months ago. Search for post started by me and you should find it. If not, I’ll post the link when I get home tonight.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    GRT is also free and the only down side I have found is a couple American powders are not in it, yet. I would say a lot are, just not every one of them. Its free to try and free to keep. You just need to save all your loads files to another directory when upgrading it. At least i do so they don;t get deleted by accident.

One thing that really sold me on using it was changing to 145 grain 9mm bullets and see the seating depth push pressures too high if it was seated lower.

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    Smart Phone

Android has some very functional and free apps for reloaders and shooters. Separate dbase apps for inventory of firearms and reloads.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just created my own Access DB.

It collects date, caliber, number of rounds, brass maker/date, powder, amount, lot number, primer, lot number, bullet maker, weight, shape. Any notes I want to add. How may times fired, trimmed this time, and a few other things.

Sarguy7777

Kwitcherbitchin
    Feb 26, 2012
    Odenton
    I just created my own Access DB.

It collects date, caliber, number of rounds, brass maker/date, powder, amount, lot number, primer, lot number, bullet maker, weight, shape. Any notes I want to add. How may times fired, trimmed this time, and a few other things.

I've been messing around with this too and I'm struggling to figure out the best database design for having it very adaptable with forms and reports.

I currently have 4 separate tables; Powders, Bullets, Primers, and Load Data.

My Powders, Primers, Bullets tables all have unique attributes of course which are related to the components (which is why they are not in the same table), but this is presenting problems with all that I want my DB to do. I intend to make a form for "Add New Component" in which I can populate my inventories.

My Load Data table will be populated by a form as well where I can fill in how much powder, and use the lookup feature to pull bullets/powder/primers from what I have on hand. That part works well, but I want to track current inventory of each, and decrement my inventory each time I load XX number of each component.

I'm struggling with the decrementing part and I suspect that it's because of how I did the initial design.

You mind sharing any tips on how you set yours up? Thanks in advance!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've been messing around with this too and I'm struggling to figure out the best database design for having it very adaptable with forms and reports.

I currently have 4 separate tables; Powders, Bullets, Primers, and Load Data.

My Powders, Primers, Bullets tables all have unique attributes of course which are related to the components (which is why they are not in the same table), but this is presenting problems with all that I want my DB to do. I intend to make a form for "Add New Component" in which I can populate my inventories.

My Load Data table will be populated by a form as well where I can fill in how much powder, and use the lookup feature to pull bullets/powder/primers from what I have on hand. That part works well, but I want to track current inventory of each, and decrement my inventory each time I load XX number of each component.

I'm struggling with the decrementing part and I suspect that it's because of how I did the initial design.

You mind sharing any tips on how you set yours up? Thanks in advance!

I will be happy to. But I am traveling right now, and don't have access to it.

I am willing to export the design and upload it.

I do not have mine tied to my inventory. I keep my inventory in a simple Excel spreadsheet. And I track to the nearest pound. So if I have 2 pounds and use some, I just show it a 1+. If I open the last point I show is at 1-

I don't track the inventory that closely.

Sarguy7777

Kwitcherbitchin
    Feb 26, 2012
    Odenton

I do not have mine tied to my inventory. I keep my inventory in a simple Excel spreadsheet. And I track to the nearest pound. So if I have 2 pounds and use some, I just show it a 1+. If I open the last point I show is at 1-

Awesome, thanks! I'd love to check it out.

Yeah, I'm trying to really nerd out and calculate how many grains I've loaded and decrement my total inventory in grains per each powder.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

could I ask also....if you don't mind..

Thanks
    -Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom