• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I looked up what's at PNTC Oct 2nd, I rarely get out that far, and it sounds like the competition is long range steel?

Just remember by doing a match your already better than ppl like me who have not done it lol. I would like to one day but too long a drive.

good luck!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maybe it was statistically freak , but the one exception to that in my experience was IPSC circa 1983 . ( Yes , still called IPSC then .)

Belgian Bad A$$

Tired of being ignored, living the single life!
    Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Thanks everyone!

I wanted to thank everyone for your comments and advice! It good to be among great people who look out for each other. Your advice is invaluable. I appreciate you!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I looked up what's at PNTC Oct 2nd, I rarely get out that far, and it sounds like the competition is long range steel?

this weekend (10/2) peacemaker has their separate 1.2k rifle range (called 'frontier') open to the public (for a fee) to practice and get dope for long range shooting. not a competition at all, you can just practice on steel from 400 out to 1 - 1.2k yards. not sure what steel they'll have up, but last weekend they did their long range challenge and had 25 steel targets in play.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Hey Ducky, you're a competitor, whether it's skating, shooting, or other activities in your life. Embrace your reality. I am the same way. Before our club's very informal monthly shoots I start preping days in advance. Earlier in life I had a career in radio because the attraction was it's live, just like oral argument in court. You work without a net, enjoy the adrenaline and conquer the moment.

No matter how you do you won't be fired or lose out on great treasure. You are competing against yourself. There is always a faster gun out there. Watch yourself grow. All the guys will also appreciate a woman shooting with them.

You'll do fine and enjoy yourself.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    But y'all call it USPSA now instead .

USPSA is like a subset of IPSC, with our own variations of the rules but we are still a IPSC region.

There are a couple actual IPSC matches in the states that are run under that rule set. Mainly majors like IPSC national and the Pan American championship and the American Extreme Open is coming. The IPSC PCC world shoot is supposed to in Florida in 2023 if Covid ever lets us have a world shoot again.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    some of the rules are indeed different, it's not just a different name for the same thing.

Back in the 90s, we called it IPSC, but it was to USPSA rules.

Ipsick is easier to say than uspusa. :D

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Hey Ducky, you're a competitor, whether it's skating, shooting, or other activities in your life. Embrace your reality. I am the same way. Before our club's very informal monthly shoots I start preping days in advance. Earlier in life I had a career in radio because the attraction was it's live, just like oral argument in court. You work without a net, enjoy the adrenaline and conquer the moment.

No matter how you do you won't be fired or lose out on great treasure. You are competing against yourself. There is always a faster gun out there. Watch yourself grow. All the guys will also appreciate a woman shooting with them.

You'll do fine and enjoy yourself.
    Very sound advice, sir! I am a competitor. Ive always skated against my last scores. So it should transfer to a shooting match easily enough. My previous long distance "record" if you want to call it that, non competition, was 300yds with my AR. Yesterday i broke it and managed to hit 575yds with Kicken Wing's Howa. So yeah it felt pretty good! I bettered myself. Now im looking to get a scope for my Tikka. Birthday in 3 weeks, a girl can always dream! THATS A HINT KICKEN WING IN CASE YOURE READING THIS!!

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    If this horse hasn't been beaten enough...

I haven't met a single negative person at a match. Still fairly new myself, but I've shot everything from a huge national level match to the local stuff with 15ish people. And everyone has been so welcoming and encouraging.

Just jump in, the waters fine.

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    If this horse hasn't been beaten enough...

I haven't met a single negative person at a match. Still fairly new myself, but I've shot everything from a huge national level match to the local stuff with 15ish people. And everyone has been so welcoming and encouraging.

Just jump in, the waters fine.
    You are right as well. Now I just gotta get my Tikka set up and then it's play time. I mean, what's the worst that can happen??? I shoot poorly, I laugh at myself, I meet good people and have great conversations.

And when I jump in, I'm gonna cannonball! HA!

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    You are right as well. Now I just gotta get my Tikka set up and then it's play time. I mean, what's the worst that can happen??? I shoot poorly, I laugh at myself, I meet good people and have great conversations.

And when I jump in, I'm gonna cannonball! HA!

Exactly!

Without reading the whole thread, what kinds of matches are you looking at? And has anyone introduced you to practiscore yet?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Y'all should try Cowboy Action Shooting.

"Competitors" generally aren't young enough to run.
    It's more fun to compete dressed like a cowboy, including the hat.
    Cowboys get to shoot 4 guns.
    We keep score, but it's more about the fun.
    The emphasis is on safety. Always.

Sept 2021.jpg

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Exactly!

Without reading the whole thread, what kinds of matches are you looking at? And has anyone introduced you to practiscore yet?
    Oh beats me. As long as its steel. Ive gotten to the point where i hate paper. And i prefer long distance right now. I have to shoot off a bench for awhile, cant shoot prone due to being 3 months post op for my back. If all goes well, Ill be allowed to lift more than 20lbs this Friday.

And practiscore...never heard of it but im curious. Is it a red dot dry fire system? If so Kicken Wing wants that or something similar to put in our hallway!

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Y'all should try Cowboy Action Shooting.

"Competitors" generally aren't young enough to run.
    It's more fun to compete dressed like a cowboy, including the hat.
    Cowboys get to shoot 4 guns.
    We keep score, but it's more about the fun.
    The emphasis is on safety. Always.

View attachment 323655
    Cowboy action shooting? Where does one find this? Id love to bring my dslr to an event to take fun photos.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Oh beats me. As long as its steel. Ive gotten to the point where i hate paper. And i prefer long distance right now. I have to shoot off a bench for awhile, cant shoot prone due to being 3 months post op for my back. If all goes well, Ill be allowed to lift more than 20lbs this Friday.

And practiscore...never heard of it but im curious. Is it a red dot dry fire system? If so Kicken Wing wants that or something similar to put in our hallway!

It's a website. Think of practiscore as a way to find, register for, and track your scoring in matches.

Start looking around there, find something that sounds interesting, and go shoot!

Personally I'm more into 3 gun and pistol matches, haven't delved into the longer range stuff, but I know Peacemaker out in WV does long range matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom