Hickory Tree

Attachments

• Hickory.jpg
      Hickory.jpg
      113.8 KB · Views: 221

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    We belong to a mutual FB group. Those shots are stunning, but I'd have never gotten them.

If by never gotten them you mean I might be too close, I was a good 15 to 20ft away, gave it a wide berth. I am not scared of snakes and handle a few yearly mostly rescuing them from my neighbors yards, but I wont mess with a Copperhead...

I heard people coming up behind me with a couple of younger kids, so I lingered there to warn them and guide them around it. Answered a couple of the kids questions about it, surprising to me how the mother and father knew nothing about snakes. But then again not really surprising in todays world.

I think I might have seen a post of 2 of yours or someone else on here on that FB group recently.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    So what does everybody "shoot" with? I have a Nikon D5200 & D7000, just curious what was used to take these great pics!

Depends on where I am. When hiking or trail walking I usually carry a Canon EOS 90D and depending on where/season I usually carry 2 of these lenses: Sigma 150-600mm, Sigma 18-300mm (almost always have this with me with this camera), Canon 100-400mm, Canon 70-200mm or a Canon 100mm Macro

When traveling or dont have to "carry" it all its usually a 5D-Mark IV and most of the above lens's (minus the Sigma 18-300 which is a EF-S lens and doesnt work on the 5D) plus a Canon 50mm and a Canon 18-135mm

I like the 90D for wildlife as long as there is good light. The APS-C sized sensor in it adds 1.6x onto the zoom. With no real loss of quality (it is like a "free" teleconverter. when using EF lens's)

If one of my nieces or nephews that want to take some pictures are with me, I usually let them carry one of my old cameras usually my Canon T2i or 5D Mark II.

Belgian Bad A$$

Tired of being ignored, living the single life!
    Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Impressive gear you have there! How do you like sigma lens compared to a canon lens? Ive thought about sigma and tamron but someone told me to stick to nikkor. Would you recommend a sigma wide angle lens if you have a preference? I need a great wide angle to shoot rooms, like kitchen, bath, living room, etc. Id tell you what i have but my gear is at work as im the "unofficial" photographer for headshots, events and just general marketing collaterals. Im in edit mode of about 2000 pics from our golf tournament. Wish i had a dslr back when i got my first nikon, a 6006 slr, back in the 90s. Youll prolly think this is corny coming from a movie i saw, but im a girl and it stuck with me..."take lots of pictures. Youll only regret the ones you didnt take." Since im sure you know more than i do, and i enjoy learning, i look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Belgian Bad A$$

Tired of being ignored, living the single life!
    Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Impressive gear you have there! How do you like sigma lens compared to a canon lens? Ive thought about sigma and tamron but someone told me to stick to nikkor. Would you recommend a sigma wide angle lens if you have a preference? I need a great wide angle to shoot rooms, like kitchen, bath, living room, etc. Id tell you what i have but my gear is at work as im the "unofficial" photographer for headshots, events and just general marketing collaterals. Im in edit mode of about 2000 pics from our golf tournament. Wish i had a dslr back when i got my first nikon, a 6006 slr, back in the 90s. Youll prolly think this is corny coming from a movie i saw, but im a girl and it stuck with me..."take lots of pictures. Youll only regret the ones you didnt take." Since im sure you know more than i do, and i enjoy learning, i look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Meant to quote you Jamesp15 so yes my comment is directed to you!

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Good catch.

Beech nuts are usually seen in the woods.

Beach nuts are usually seen in banana hammocks.

Yup I did, and how about theses guys.
    The Beach Nuts (also known as The Beech Nuts) were an American garage rock band formed in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey, in 1963. Performing as a popular cover band in the region, the Beach Nuts recorded one single in 1966. Its A-side, "My Iconoclastic Life", has since become considered a classic composition.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG

I am not a professional, more a serious hobbyist.
    Sorry I am not really up on Portrait type photography, mostly wildlife and airshows at distance. I dont have much experience using wide angle lens's.

I think (based on just reading/looking at the 2 photography threads) that there are more Nikon users here that might have better info for you about Nikon's own lenses vs 3rd party. I have not used a Nikon in years, I am all Canon nowadays.

Most of Sigma lens's (and Tamron's) are very good value for the dollar, and some are better than Canon's own. Sigma's "Art" series of lenses are very good but are up there with OEM lens costs so not too much savings there.

The Sigma 18-300mm is a very good all around lens for a lot of situations, it is my main "walking around" lens when I am carrying one of my EF-S cameras. And it would be my main walking around lens for all my cameras if EF-S was not incompatible with EF mounts. I like it that much.

The Sigma 150-600 (there are 2, a $2k-ish "Sports" model and a $1k-ish "Contemporary" model, I have the Contemporary after trying out both the Sports was not 2x the money better) can be a mixed bag on some camera bodies. Mine works flawlessly with my cameras though. (people complain of slow or even no auto-focusing or back/front focusing I have had neither problem) On my 90D it focuses faster than my fastest canon lens and it is the same speed focusing on my 5Dmk4 as the fastest canon lens i have.

I would love to have Canons own 600mm lens.. but I dont have $13,000 to spend on one lol

I am definitely in the "take lots of pictures. Youll only regret the ones you didnt take." with you. For that Copperhead I took approx 200 pictures... I kept around 100 after sorting out ones that are essentially duplicates or were just poor pictures.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Opening day Western duck. Foggy and no birds

Wow, and it's upside down. That's a new twist.

EDIT: fixed

244389333_10225610823967172_3651573847573401002_n.jpg

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

It's the MD nature pics thread, not the Melbourne thread. That one is probably way down under buried under a lot of more recent threads.

Now back to my vegemite sandwich.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

I can't post photos here, they always come out upside down. I have to save them as a screenshot and upload that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom