• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    A defiant deviant short action with a x-caliber 26” heavy fluted barrel in a KRG X-RAY chassis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is it chambered in?

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I actually have two barrels. The spiral fluted on the rifle is 308 win, I have a second barrel BHW M24 profile non fluted 260 Remington 1/8 twist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock Rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Attachments

• hancock rifle.jpg
      hancock rifle.jpg
      101.9 KB · Views: 166

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    .260 Remington built on a trued 700 receiver that started life as a .243. Barreled by ER Shaw. Browning Guy has shot with it out to 1200 yards. I’ve had it out to 1000 and was giddy.

Attachments

• 0DC19F8F-22BF-433B-8701-62E0259C5E5D.jpg
      0DC19F8F-22BF-433B-8701-62E0259C5E5D.jpg
      151.2 KB · Views: 172

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    .260 Remington built on a trued 700 receiver that started life as a .243. Barreled by ER Shaw. Browning Guy has shot with it out to 1200 yards. I’ve had it out to 1000 and was giddy.

That rifle is SCHWEEET. I got to shoot it at peacemaker. I did't want to embarrass the good Doctor, so I only shot it at 600 I think.....

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'll be posting a pic up in here at some point. I've been throwing money at a rifle build, and I don't even have the first part yet, although most of it has been ordered:

Bighorn Origin short action
    Shilen pre-fit 223 varmint contour barrel, 26"
    Triggertech Primary trigger - adjusts down to 1.5 lbs, but I'll probably set it around 2.5
    KRG Bravo Chassis in Sako green

I'm nearly $2k in and haven't figured out a scope yet. :eek: I also cheaped-out on the stock solution, although I think that it's probably going to be a decently solid platform - maybe not as smooth as an H&S or Manners or something along those lines - but I do think it will get the job done. A lot of folks review it pretty well anyway.

I didn't realize what a rabbit hole this could be until after I'd already headed down the path. The whole idea behind this was that I wanted a first-class prairie dog gun for future trips out west to my home state of Nebraska. I chose 223 over 22-250 (or similar) because I figured that over the long run it would be more economical. 223 brass is everywhere, and it takes a fair bit less powder per round - that's actually a very real consideration these days with powder sometimes running as high as $40 per pound, if you can find it at all.

I actually have a trip planned in late July where I want to use this gun, so I'll have to figure out something between now and then

Last edited:

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    I'll be posting a pic up in here at some point. I've been throwing money at a rifle build, and I don't even have the first part yet, although most of it has been ordered:

Bighorn Origin short action
    Shilen pre-fit 223 varmint contour barrel, 26"
    Triggertech Primary trigger - adjusts down to 1.5 lbs, but I'll probably set it around 2.5
    KRG Bravo Chassis in Sako green

I'm nearly $2k in and haven't figured out a scope yet. :eek: I also cheaped-out on the stock solution, although I think that it's probably going to be a decently solid platform - maybe not as smooth as an H&S or Manners or something along those lines - but I do think it will get the job done. A lot of folks review it pretty well anyway.

I didn't realize what a rabbit hole this could be until after I'd already headed down the path. The whole idea behind this was that I wanted a first-class prairie dog gun for future trips out west to my home state of Nebraska. I chose 223 over 22-250 (or similar) because I figured that over the long run it would be more economical. 223 brass is everywhere, and it takes a fair bit less powder per round - that's actually a very real consideration these days with powder sometimes running as high as $40 per pound, if you can find it at all.

I actually have a trip planned in late July where I want to use this gun, so I'll have to figure out something between now and then
    What you've got picked so far is pretty good...KRG makes some good stuff. You definitely don't want to cheap out on your optic, that being said, I'm still running a Gen 1 Vortex Viper PST...need to upgrade that one for my purpose...PRS matches...mine is actually a 6mm Creedmoor built using Stiller TAC30 action, Manners T4A w/ Mini Chassis, Brux MTU contoured barrel, Timney trigger at 2lbs...

Attachments

• MDS_SigPic.jpg
      MDS_SigPic.jpg
      185 KB · Views: 78

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What you've got picked so far is pretty good...KRG makes some good stuff. You definitely don't want to cheap out on your optic, that being said, I'm still running a Gen 1 Vortex Viper PST...need to upgrade that one for my purpose...PRS matches...mine is actually a 6mm Creedmoor built using Stiller TAC30 action, Manners T4A w/ Mini Chassis, Brux MTU contoured barrel, Timney trigger at 2lbs...
    I've been digging around online trying to figure out what's what with glass. Well, actually, I've figured it out - anything less than about a grand, there's some kind of compromise - the question becomes one of how much the compromise is, and whether or not it would be lost on someone like me.

I highlighted the Vortex Viper PST - those seem to be pretty highly regarded. Because I've already thrown so much money at this build, and I'm not positive that I'd be able to notice the difference or even make use of it, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards one of these two scopes:

Vortex Venom 5-25x56 (I can get this on GovX for $469 - not sure where else it would be cheaper)
    Athlon Helos 6-24x56 (I can find this one for just a touch north of $500)

The question then becomes one of what I want vs what compromises there might be. Given that the ranges I'm planning to shoot are mostly inside of 300 yards, I think either one would be a solid choice.

I'm leaning towards the Vortex - I'm not positive I'd need the illumination, and although it doesn't have locking turrets, it does have a zero-stop ring to allow a quick reset to zero.

Any thoughts?

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Trickg;
    Sounds very well planned out. Pics can be of pieces also.

Good job keeping your eye on the prize.

I bought my son a 308 700 5R and put a Leopold on it. I kept telling him it is a sweet Rifle but he thought I was just pumping it up.
    Then he did some research and now he knows he truly has a fine rifle that is very capable.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Trickg;
    Sounds very well planned out. Pics can be of pieces also.

Good job keeping your eye on the prize.

I bought my son a 308 700 5R and put a Leopold on it. I kept telling him it is a sweet Rifle but he thought I was just pumping it up.
    Then he did some research and now he knows he truly has a fine rifle that is very capable.
    Here's the only pic I have of my stuff - I won't be able to get it assembled until I get the chassis, and that's not coming for another week or so - I used an outfitter out of Lincoln Nebraska called Snyder Precision LLC. They gave me a military discount and free shipping so I was able to snag a KRG Bravo for $320. They had some coming in but they weren't in stock the day I ordered.
    A43B0CF3-07E9-4F41-AE78-40589ADA2ECD.jpeg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Here are my two

1. One of my last acquisitions prior to the long gun transfer crap passing. Remington 700 Police in .308. dated 5/99. It’s a <0.5 MOA gun with match ammo. It has been said that Ed Shell shot a crow at 600 yards with this rifle. Ed, I got it from Ray. You had him shooting to 1200 yards with it. Scope is mine. He kept the 20x Leopold

2. Is a custom 700 Action Trued/barreled by ER Shaw. Chambered in .260 Remington. Proven 1200 yard rifle. Scope is a Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest Scope on top (shockingly affordable, for what they are).

Attachments

• F3577C8B-E7D1-4818-9D09-DE4C09D6ADFC.jpeg
      F3577C8B-E7D1-4818-9D09-DE4C09D6ADFC.jpeg
      290.8 KB · Views: 84
    • BD3A4C39-A929-4B5E-9299-8F4A63FEDAB9.jpeg
      BD3A4C39-A929-4B5E-9299-8F4A63FEDAB9.jpeg
      291.7 KB · Views: 80

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ....doctor goodhair's girlfriend puts in an appearance.
    Lol. I do love that rifle. I’ve had the .308 to the range once, just to zero it. Haven’t been out beyond 200 yds. Gotta work up a good 175 grain load for it, too.

I’ll be at Peacemaker for the afternoon session 5/28.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Haven't gotten the word on my presence there but I had guys with 308s hammering IPSCs out over a grand in intermediate long range today.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Haven't gotten the word on my presence there but I had guys with 308s hammering IPSCs out over a grand in intermediate long range today.
    I’ll probably not bring the .308. I need to really study the gun and work up a load. I’ll have the 260.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Study? Load sierra or Nosler 175s to mag length over 42 gr of imr4064 or 41 gr of 8208xbr. Use any large rifle primer that's been stored right.

Or, since it's a pss with a long 12 twist, run 45.5 varget under sierra 155 Palma (#2156) in lapua cases. For winchester brass, probably want to be 46-46.5gr. 47 gr imr4064 or 46gr n140 will also work. The 2156 can be more length sensitive so measure carefully and try to keep them within .020 of lands. My bisley reamed krieger likes .015-.020. original sako barrel shot best at or in lands. My 30" 13 twist liked .020 so I'm guessing the sako bbl was probably a sloppier throat.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Study? Load sierra or Nosler 175s to mag length over 42 gr of imr4064 or 41 gr of 8208xbr. Use any large rifle primer that's been stored right.

Or, since it's a pss with a long 12 twist, run 45.5 varget under sierra 155 Palma (#2156) in lapua cases. For winchester brass, probably want to be 46-46.5gr. 47 gr imr4064 or 46gr n140 will also work. The 2156 can be more length sensitive so measure carefully and try to keep them within .020 of lands. My bisley reamed krieger likes .015-.020. original sako barrel shot best at or in lands. My 30" 13 twist liked .020 so I'm guessing the sako bbl was probably a sloppier throat.
    Thanks for the leads. Varget seems to be the powder to use. I’ll use that, and do a ladder test and should be good. I think I have a 1000 LC brass from the same lot. Recall, I’m a total noob with more money than knowledge at this point.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    F the LC brass. Even year sorted won't cut it. Lc match, maybe. If you don't have lapua or peterson, or can't get it, I have once fired federal gmm cases somewhere, maybe even some prepped, and there is a box of 50 brand new hornady I think.

I've been digging around online trying to figure out what's what with glass. Well, actually, I've figured it out - anything less than about a grand, there's some kind of compromise - the question becomes one of how much the compromise is, and whether or not it would be lost on someone like me.

I highlighted the Vortex Viper PST - those seem to be pretty highly regarded. Because I've already thrown so much money at this build, and I'm not positive that I'd be able to notice the difference or even make use of it, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards one of these two scopes:

Vortex Venom 5-25x56 (I can get this on GovX for $469 - not sure where else it would be cheaper)
    Athlon Helos 6-24x56 (I can find this one for just a touch north of $500)

The question then becomes one of what I want vs what compromises there might be. Given that the ranges I'm planning to shoot are mostly inside of 300 yards, I think either one would be a solid choice.

I'm leaning towards the Vortex - I'm not positive I'd need the illumination, and although it doesn't have locking turrets, it does have a zero-stop ring to allow a quick reset to zero.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom