• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It’s a Rossi model 62 which is a copy of the Winchester model 62.
    Nice, light, accurate little rifle.

Very nice. I bought one of those years ago for my dad for Christmas but the finish on the wood wasn't nearly as nice.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Early season, shotgun only. But, I am not a big fan of shooting 22 in trees. A near miss can go airborne or ricochet can result. I limit myself to ground shots or a squirrel on the large part of the tree trunk for such hunting with a 22. CCI long CB caps ( basically same as CCI Quiet) have worked pretty well for shots inside 40 or 50 yards. Basically almost no noise so that taking a squirrel usually doesn't send other nearby squirrels to hiding. I once sit in one place taking 4 squirrels in a bit over an hour using CB caps. I could still see other squirrels rummaging around insight that didn't seem alarmed at all. Naturally, I didn't go to retrieve my game until I was good and ready too as that would have spooked other squirrels.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not sure if it's what Brickman used , but Rossi did offer an accessory scope mount for those . A cantilever taking place of the rear open sight .

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I personally use a .22LR or .17HMR. Recently been leaning towards my Ruger American Rimfire in 17 just because how flat shooting it is.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Nobody bags them with a wrist rocket? We'd save the good ball bearings for meat and use rocks on everything else. Most of the rocks we chose worked pretty well too.

Like those slingshots with the wrist brace so you can really pull on it?

I had one of those when I was a kid,(and quickly got it taken away by my parents), and it was awesome. Are there "hunting quality" slingshots? I wouldn't mind tagging some squirrels in my backyard with the very acorns they are so interested in burying.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Meh, maybe. I've actually hit squirrels numerous times with metal ball bearings from a slingshot, and it did nothing but stun them.

For SHTF survival you're better off with some safety wire making a squirrel pole snare.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Meh, maybe. I've actually hit squirrels numerous times with metal ball bearings from a slingshot, and it did nothing but stun them.

For SHTF survival you're better off with some safety wire making a squirrel pole snare.

I scare squirrels with a Red Ryder, and it seems to work pretty well. One shot in the side sends them running, and it gives a good thump on the tree bark if I miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom