• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Cutco knives are high quality. Please understand that their price reflects the multi level marketing concept- for every knife sold, multiple people get their "cut" (pun intended), thus the price is higher. Amway has some really good stuff too, but for the same reason, their cost/value ratio is lost.

I was thinking the same thing. I used to sell amway years ago. Loved the products I used but couldn’t make many sales beyond family and close friends. It was the same way with my buddy’s brother back in the day with Cutco.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    My parents are still using their set of Cutco knives from 25 years ago. Seem to be worth the money. Its hard finding people who look past the initial investment though. The only reason my parents bought them was because my best friends brother was selling them as part time work too.

The way they market them (usually college kids) once they run out of relatives and friends,that's the end of their Cutco career. They are good knives though. Most ordinary restaurant chefs don't really own a set of knives. They send them in for sharpening and don't get the same knives back. There is a rotation of sharpened knives between restaurants.

Thanks everyone for the info. 25 years is pretty impressive, and it sounds like the knives are good. We don't expect our daughter to make any money, but maybe she'll get some experience from this part time job.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Like everyone said, Cutco makes a decent product. I sold them to every family member, long lost relative, and neighbor one summer back in college. Didn’t make much money but my parents still have the original set from 30 years ago and love them. If one of the serrated knives gets dull cutco will replace it for free. My wife likes her set too. We sent one knife back in 25 years.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    We have a set of Cutco steaks knives and a couple others. I also have some of their nice gardening hand tools. No real complaints on the knives other than I always wonder who came up with the weird handle design and why? FWIW, I’ve found my Spyderco Sharpmaker works well on the serated steak knives, just work from one side with a light touch-up on the other when finishing.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I would buy a set of Cutco if my daughter was selling them. It's an easy win to boost her confidence in sales.

But our knife block at home is full of Shun. The Ken Onion models to be more specific. The 10" Chef knife and scissors are used in some way for almost every dinner made at home, with the other knives being used a little less frequently. The Ken Onion Shuns are becoming harder to find.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    My father sold them for a short time after getting out of the military in the mid '60s. My parents used his demo set until they moved into a nursing home and then they went to my sister, I believe.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm surprised at the prices for older high-carbon steel kitchen knives. Back in the day they were pretty reasonable. They're easy to sharpen, keep an edge pretty well; the stainless steel knives came about because the older knives would darken with use, and you had to wash and dry them after use to avoid rusting.

So I looked on ebay for a 2" paring knife like the one I bought 30 years ago for five bucks, and they seem to be bringing 89-90 dollars! And good luck trying to find a new one. Everything is high chrome stainless.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Enlighten us please Sylvester as to your experiences to cause loathing ?

Knowledgeable Knife Knerds will point out they can find similar knifes with sexier steels for the same $ , but it's rare to hear that they actually suck .

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Enlighten us please Sylvester as to your experiences to cause loathing ?

Knowledgeable Knife Knerds will point out they can find similar knifes with sexier steels for the same $ , but it's rare to hear that they actually suck .

I was curious about that too. We got a really nice carving set as a gift but most of our kitchen knives are nothing special. Our main knives are a full set of Chicago Cutlery and they have been just fine for us for 20+ years.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Mediocre steel, sabre grinds, and Amway sales tactics, nope. Doesn't take much to dramatically outperform the plastic handled ginsu crap most people have. For the money, Shun or Wusthoff is far better. I have picked up a few less expensive Chinese knives with stainless Damascus clad VG10 that perform pretty well for $50 or so per blade, and are far prettier.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    About 20 years ago, my boss' kid got into selling Cutco knives.. i bought the hunting knife they were offering at the time. I dressed probably close to 20 deer with it and never did anything more than touch it up on a steel. The only thing I don't particularly care for is the sheath. Its fully functional, but has no "character" if you know what I mean.. If memory serves I believe it was 90 bucks

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    We bought two from a family friend's daughter. Expensive, but by far the best knives in our house.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    We have a couple Cutco knives. They are good but I think you could spend the same amount of money and do better.

****I was at someone's home this past weekend and they had Cutco knives. They were ok knives, but the Wushof Clasic or Ikon series of knives I use in the kitchen are *much* better knives IMO. Better balanced, better steel, keep an edge well, and last basically forever.

I have some really nice sushi knives (Wusthof Ikon) that I brought over to my friends home to cut up some thin fish filets and other seafood and he even noticed how much better they felt and cut more cleanly than his Cutco knives.

The Cutco knives were fine, but for the money they want I think there are better options out there. Wusthof, Shun, Tojiro, Messermeister, Miyabi, etc.. all make really really nice stuff for about the same money.

Driver9

Apr 14, 2020
    Baltimore County
    We have two Cutco scissors, the ones that can cut a penny. They are amazing. One of them lives in my toolbox, and the other one is in my office.

We also have a set of serrated dinner knives. They work very well, and we use them to cut red meat.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    We have two Cutco scissors, the ones that can cut a penny. They are amazing. One of them lives in my toolbox, and the other one is in my office.

We also have a set of serrated dinner knives. They work very well, and we use them to cut red meat.

We have a set of the serrated steak knives and just now thinking about it, the only thing I have discovered after living with them for a long time is that I don’t like the handles/scales, whatever, but purely for subjective reasons. I don’t know who came up with that weird design. Other than that, they’ve been completely fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom