• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Hey Guys,
    I've made the decision to go for the MD W&C Permit. I have an instructor for the training. I am in the process of learning about the application process.
    Question: Can the HQL fingerprints be used for the W&C Permit or do I need to get fingerprinted again?
    Any other coaching that you have for me would be appreciated.
    TIA
    Winch

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Hey Guys,
    I've made the decision to go for the MD W&C Permit. I have an instructor for the training. I am in the process of learning about the application process.
    Question: Can the HQL fingerprints be used for the W&C Permit or do I need to get fingerprinted again?
    TIA
    Winch

Unfortunately not. The state wants to get double the money out of you. The authorization number the prints are submitted under is different for a carry permit and HQL. If you are issued a W&C permit you won't need the HQL but most people already have their HQL before applying for a W&C permit.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Are you a member of MSI ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I am a member of MSI. I have spoken with some of those guys and they said they would help me to get my permit. I have not reached out yet to get the wheels rolling.

EDIT: I just now sent an email to MSI asking for guidance.

goose4

Jan 6, 2013
    Unfortunately not. The state wants to get double the money out of you. The authorization number the prints are submitted under is different for a carry permit and HQL. If you are issued a W&C permit you won't need the HQL but most people already have their HQL before applying for a W&C permit.

I didn't know this...Does the W&C Permit take the place of the HQL?

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    I didn't know this...Does the W&C Permit take the place of the HQL?

No. You still need an HQL. Permit to Carry a Handgun training does satisfy the HQL training requirement, though. I applied for my permit/HQL at the same time (and yes, had to be fingerprinted twice.)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Completely incorrect, there is nothing in state statute that says the W&C replaces the HQL for a purchase.

If you get a W&C before you get an HQL, the HQL is then free for the asking.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Hey Guys,
    TIA
    Winch

Congrats on the decision, answers above are all correct. MSI can be very helpful.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I would like someone to explain the requirement for having to get finger printed every time you apply for a license. I had a Secret Clearance at one time and had to submit finger prints every time it was up for renewal. I retired and got a part time job with the Census. Had to get finger printed. Go get my CDL renewed and have to submit a new set. Got rehired by the Census and had to get another set. Renewed my Passport and needed another set. Apply for an HQL and need another set. Finger Prints don't change.

xKtF

Nov 5, 2018
    I would like someone to explain the requirement for having to get finger printed every time you apply for a license. I had a Secret Clearance at one time and had to submit finger prints every time it was up for renewal. I retired and got a part time job with the Census. Had to get finger printed. Go get my CDL renewed and have to submit a new set. Got rehired by the Census and had to get another set. Renewed my Passport and needed another set. Apply for an HQL and need another set. Finger Prints don't change.

You don't know? MONEY MONEY MONEY lol.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Yep every agency wants to collect some money.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because the State says so .

Except for ,W&C Renewals no longer require re fingerprinting ,per statute .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When that came about , I downgraded my X to a T , since if I ever had offer of a side gig needing an X , I could convert back with just the written test ( ok , computer these days , but same thing ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom