• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Not to side track... but what do you use as solution in that? Just got finished scrubbing all of the baffles with a tooth brush... it was nasty. If there is a smarter way, I'm in.

Dawn dish soap and water with a healthy dollop of elbow grease, but I bet there is a solvent that would be great. I

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Revolvers are hell ? For any vaguely normal cleaning , no need to go beyond removing grips and removing cylinder .

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not to side track... but what do you use as solution in that? Just got finished scrubbing all of the baffles with a tooth brush... it was nasty. If there is a smarter way, I'm in.

I have SS baffles. I toss them in my wet tumbler with SS media. Clean as new in a couple of hours.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Try Berrymans Carb Cleaner. Comes in a gallon paint container with a dip basket inside. You can find it at the auto parts store or Amazon.

Soak the baffles in it overnight.

Don't use it in enclosed spaces.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Dawn dish soap and water with a healthy dollop of elbow grease, but I bet there is a solvent that would be great. I

I have SS baffles. I toss them in my wet tumbler with SS media. Clean as new in a couple of hours.

Try Berrymans Carb Cleaner. Comes in a gallon paint container with a dip basket inside. You can find it at the auto parts store or Amazon.

Soak the baffles in it overnight.

Don't use it in enclosed spaces.

Good suggestions all.... I'm going to see if I can find some Berrymans and give it a try. Appreciate the suggestions!! :thumbsup:

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Imagine not cleaning your guns and seeing how long they can go. A lot longer than you think, if you lube them. I got my AR up to 3k rounds, mostly suppressed too, before I caved and cleaned it. Not a single failure either. Suppressed MPs suppressed are the worst to clean. All those little grooves in the receiver, hard to wipe out.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I get that but I MUST remove all of the powder on the face of the cylinder. Difficult sometimes.

Something you can do to lessen that chore is after each cleaning give your revolver a coat of Renaissance Wax...especially on the cylinder face and inside the "window" of the cylinder. Wax acts as a sacrificial barrier as car wax does on a car.

While the RenWax doesn't eliminate the powder burns on the cylinder face, it does make it easier to clean. Once done just give the gun a fresh coat.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Someone should start an FFL that specializes in cleaning guns. Charge xx amount per handgun/rifle/shotgun and discount at certain quantities. $20 per for 5 AR, $18 per for 10 AR, etc.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Some LGS actually do offer cleaning services. Some ranges, with a membership, offer x free cleanings per year.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Ya I’m a clean freak also. It’s always hard figuring out what to take and shoot because I’m thinking about cleaning when I get home .Qtip , picks and brushes. Not a fan of the bore snakes .Dont think they do a good job . Run my stuff a little on the wet side , feel it makes it easier to clean . sometimes I don’t mind .But when you have ( 4 is my max I try to take ) it turns into a chore. I’m going to say it will take me a few hrs. I like the spay do blast in the nooks and crannies. Toothpicks to get the gunk out .probably way to much unnecessary cleaning butttttt. Never use anything metal .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are these investment pieces to shoot once just to say you did , then store to hand down to grandchildren in 30 yrs , or guns that actually get used ?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don't mind cleaning guns. The thing that makes it a pain for me right now is i don't have a place to do it or to store the supplies. If I had a bench or table to work on and a place to store and organize the stuff it would be a breeze but that won't be possible until I get out of this apartment.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I actually enjoy cleaning my guns and find it relaxing. Good thing that I do as I am also semi-OCD about having them cleaned and lubricated after each range trip or field outing. On the guns that I use it on, I love the smell of Eezox in the afternoon. :D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Imagine not cleaning your guns and seeing how long they can go. A lot longer than you think, if you lube them. I got my AR up to 3k rounds, mostly suppressed too, before I caved and cleaned it. Not a single failure either. Suppressed MPs suppressed are the worst to clean. All those little grooves in the receiver, hard to wipe out.

Yes, this. 90% of my "cleaning" is accomplished with a rag and a couple brushes and pics. Might clean my GLOCKs and some ARs practically never, wipe down with a rag, scrape and brush out chunks of fouling, and that is about it, but they get oil before every range trip, or regularly if it's a carry gun. Takes all of 2 minutes maybe every couple thousand rounds. AR9s and 22s are filthy, especially being I run them suppressed, so the lower might get a blast of brake cleaner and re-lubed every so often. My collectible stuff doen't get fired often, but preserving it is more important than being spotless, so they get cleaned, greased, furniture polish and oil based corrosion inhibitors. Basically CLP for modern stuff, machine oil, corrosion inhibitor and grease when needed, because a gun doesn't need to be clean to work, but it needs to be lubed.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Well when I started this thread I failed to mention some of the range day details.. I took a handgun FNS9, Ruger PC9, Ruger 10/22, and a CZ457 17HMR. 50 rounds through the FNS9 because I suck at shooting it. 100 rounds in the PC9. That was much more fun to shoot. About 200 rounds through the 10/22 which is below average for me. I usually shoot 400+ because it's fun and cheap. And 75 rounds through my CZ which was really fun. I think that is my new favorite gun. Total tack driver. Dimes at 50yds. and half dollars at 100yrds. I'm getting better every time I shoot that beast. When I take my AR I'm good for about 200 rounds depending on what else I brought. So that's about 450-500 rounds a day. I think those numbers could go either way for a light cleaning. I always seems to get a lot of yuck on my mops and patches and towels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom