• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    They're relying on the manufacturers not changing their tooling / marketing. Aren't they?

When you try to ban products by make/model, then yes, that's exactly what they're relying on. So long as only one state is playing that game, it can be effective because it's not generally economical to make a new but slightly-different product for that one state. But when many states start trying to play that game, it could become worthwhile to start putting out "new" models on a regular basis.

"Hey! What year AR is that?"

"Oh, it's a 2015."

Yeah, we'd lose out on parts-commonality, which is one of the big draws of the AR and AK platforms, but it's better than losing the entire platform.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They're relying on the manufacturers not changing their tooling / marketing. Aren't they?

Uuh, the Polytechs have been banned from import for MANY years.

So it doesn't matter if they change their tooling, all the ones already in the US are all we get, and they are not parts interchangeable with the M1A.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    AG letter states that all the internal parts must swap and have the firearm function. Swapping the lower to fit the FCG is not swappable internal parts.

Same with the bolt internals.

I hate to necro this; but does anyone have a copy of this AG letter?

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    I believe Norinco was banned from importing firearms into the U.S.

BULA Arms of Ohio has a Lefty that passes muster due to parts incapability.

Last edited:

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    The original Chinese bolts were softer than US GI bolts and were often changed out for US GI. In fact Keng's Firearms Specialty (U.S. importer) offered to supply US GI bolts until PolyTech could manufacturer bolts of equivalent steel but they refused. They used Chinese steel equivalent to 4134 instead of steel equal to 8620 and therefor the bolts were never as hard as US GI. (from M14 Rifle History and Development, 5th Ed., vol.2, pg. 103, by Lee Emerson, © 2010, 2011)
    The Chinese receivers were drop forged so more durable than cast (eg. Springfield M1A). There were also some minor differences in the machining done to manufacturer the receivers.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    What is the general concensus about the overall quality of the Poly's? Are they simply a Chi-Com wannabe that relies more on looks or is it a decent rifle worth investing in to improve and capable of showing similar accuracy of a M1A or is it akin to putting the lipstick on the pig?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's my understanding that Chinese military firearms are quality items; I've gotten this from respected posters on this board. I can't say personally one way or the other.

The prices being asked - and received - would seem to underscore this perception.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The overall quality of Polytech M14 is irrelevant .

Their only virtue is being Maryland Legal , and the only Maryland Legal option ( for more or less original caliber and configuration ) .

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    What is the general concensus about the overall quality of the Poly's? Are they simply a Chi-Com wannabe that relies more on looks or is it a decent rifle worth investing in to improve and capable of showing similar accuracy of a M1A or is it akin to putting the lipstick on the pig?

My understanding is they are decent quality, except for the bolt (use to be an easy fix; not sure of availability of replacement bolts these days). Being drop forged is better than cast, that said I'm not sure the average shooter would have to worry about that too much because they aren't going to be putting 10's or 100's of thousands of round through it. The Chinese did their homework and some hesitated to produce the M14 knowing of all the difficulty even the US had. I'm still not sure why we had so many issues when we produced millions of M1 Garands. That never ceases to astound me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom