• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm going to try to put the expander thing in a vise and use a long pry bar with the opening in the middle to try to get the expander thing out. I also sprayed some WD-40 in there to lube the thing..

We'll see if it works.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    How do you drill and tap the case with the die in the press?????
    Angle head Dremel or one with a cable drill head attachment. Tapping isn't an issue with a standard tap tool.

You can take the die out and drill and tap then put the die back in. That's the easy button for those who don't have more than basic tools. Why risk damage to the flat surface on the top of the press when you can accomplish the same thing using a noncritical surface?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Crescent wrench. Have you never been on a farm? :lol2:

SO MUCH EASIER to just take the die out of the press.

But yes, I do know people that will spend 2 hours working around some issue, when it would take 15 minutes to remove the issue and get the work done in another 15 minutes

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    SO MUCH EASIER to just take the die out of the press.

But yes, I do know people that will spend 2 hours working around some issue, when it would take 15 minutes to remove the issue and get the work done in another 15 minutes

Duh. Of course it’s easier to take it out of the press. :lol2: But you asked how to do it the hard way. :lol2:

With a Lee sizing die, there is no reason to remove it and drill/tap. Just loosen the collet holding the decapping assembly, and hammer the stuck case out by hitting the decapping rod. If it doesn’t come out, send it to Lee and they’ll fix it. All that other nonsense is for dies with poorly designed decapping assemblies.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I hear about a lot of stuck cases with Hornady lube. It has to dry before sizing.

100% this. Let is dry enough and zero issues. I learned the hard way also. Since I let it dry, never had one stuck in 20k+ cases.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I hear about a lot of stuck cases with Hornady lube. It has to dry before sizing.

100% this. Let is dry enough and zero issues. I learned the hard way also. Since I let it dry, never had one stuck in 20k+ cases.

Ahh, good ol' One Stuck...

I went full redneck - gallon ziploc bag, 1/4 second shot of Pam - tumble bag, haven't stuck a case in almost 3 plus years now. (Hell of a lot cheaper too)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How much of a greasy feel is there when using the Pam?

I normally wear exam gloves while starting brass prep - so it's not anything that gets my attention, depending on how much brass is in the bag (and using a real quick shot of Pam), it's not greasy enough to become butterfingers.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I normally wear exam gloves while starting brass prep - so it's not anything that gets my attention, depending on how much brass is in the bag (and using a real quick shot of Pam), it's not greasy enough to become butterfingers.

^^^^^ This!

I tend to have a few boxes of gloves on hand as it is and will use them all the way up to putting brass on the press.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I did it again, Guys.

I was cleaning up some 308 cases I picked up from the range I go to. I got careless and didn't stick the case in the holder and pressed the case into the die. Ruh Roh!

I thought about it hard before I went to sleep and tried to devise a plan to get the case out of the die.

I decided to try to stick the depriming pin into the hole then stick the die into a vise and beat on the end of the pin with a medium size hammer.

It worked!

The case came out so I thought about how to get the depriming pin out of the case. I decided to cut the bottom of the case with a hacksaw and that worked too!

Now I'm back in business.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I used the same trick on 2 other dies I had that had cases stuck in them. It worked on both of them! I had bent one of the pins so I'll have to get a new pin.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just order a stuck case remover. Or improvise one. You Tube has info on doing so.

One die maker actually designs their decapping rods to do what you did. Others should not be done that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom