• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    My wife and I are planning a little getaway next weekend Skyline Drive day trip then dinner in the Winchester area. I’m looking nearby, for an upscale farm to table type of place with a decent wine selection.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    The Inn at Little Washington is about as upscale as it gets and somewhat close. 14,000 bottles of wine to choose from.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The Inn at Little Washington is about as upscale as it gets and somewhat close. 14,000 bottles of wine to choose from.

I’m familiar with the Inn. It’s $540 per person with wine and they are booked until May 2022.

I just did a large project for the owners of the Inn. They opened a new restaurant called Patty O’s. Actually we are starting our trip in Washington that morning. I want to stop in and see the finished job and maybe have lunch there if we can get a seat. Then heading north along skyline drive from Sperryville to Front Royal.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The Butcher Station in Winchester has been on my radar to try the next time we make it there as a very solid farm to table option. Obviously, haven't tried it yet, so can't recommend it personally. We live just up the Great Valley from Winchester, but haven't been by in a few years other than a pass though last year on the way to a Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Pkwy trip heading south.

https://www.thebutcherstation.com/

This one is also on the "to try" list, as good Italian restaurants are sorely lacking around us here in WashCo.

https://violinoristorante.com/

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    If you shoot Black Powder, you can call Back Creek Gun Shop and arrange for a pickup of powder and caps.

BACK CREEK GUN SHOP, INC
    863 Chestnut Grove Road * Winchester, VA 22603
    PHONE: (540) 888 3349 -
    E-MAIL: bcgsi@hughes.net

They might not have to much left after the panic buys at the last Nationals sense Goex is shutting down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Back creek gun shop, as of a few days ago was completely sold out of Goex 2f, 3f, and all types of Swiss powder.

They still had German powder and caps

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My wife and I are planning a little getaway next weekend Skyline Drive day trip then dinner in the Winchester area. I’m looking nearby, for an upscale farm to table type of place with a decent wine selection.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Or, drive another thirty minutes or so closer to back to home and hit L'Auberge Chez Francois in Great Falls.

Mrs. Occam and I have been celebrating each other at that restaurant for thirty years. They're probably getting close to the end of food that's coming fresh straight from their large gardens, but they always delight. Not inexpensive, but nothing like the Inn At Little Washington. I've always been happy with any of their $50-80 Bordeaux, but lots more to choose from. It's very well executed provincial French/Alsatian fare - have an appetite. People and service are great, everything is nuanced but not snooty. The wait staff knows EVERYTHING about every sauce, cut, and ingredient.

Even if it's not a good fit with your route on this trip, put it on your to-do list. It's tricky to make reservations on one week's notice.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I swear Winchester is one of the few places in Virginia outside of NoVA that just don't get. I see nothing there that makes me say, "wow isn't this great?"

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I swear Winchester is one of the few places in Virginia outside of NoVA that just don't get. I see nothing there that makes me say, "wow isn't this great?"

Winchester is where we stop for groceries and gas on our way to where we say, “wow isn’t this great?” just a bit more to the west.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

It sure wasn't out first choice for a weekend getaway but we couldn't find any place to stay closer to Front Royal. But hey... you make due with what you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom