• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just discovered this on Reddit

Filen.io: 50GB of free cloud storage on a new privacy-oriented provider. (encrypted storage) .

Use this link https://filen.io/r/dbd90a665ea6f292f36ebdb3d442826d to create an account. This is the referral code, which gives you 10GB extra to the default free 10GB.

After creating the account, in the "account" settings page, redeem all these codes without the "" for 30GB more (10GB each): "0LKJQ9CN" "BW4M0YDV" and "10GBFREE"

I created an account with a unique protonmail account and didn’t have to share any personal information. Then entered the prom codes and it worked. 50gb of Encrypted storage.

9712e5e5e610563c77360cd329e6c0b4.png

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Just signed up using the information you provided...and can confirm it shows 50Gb now, thank you.
    Read the terms of service, please note data will be deleted if account goes inactive for 3months.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    It's pretty well encrypted. You know it is because the NSA is doing it for the FBI.

I'm a little lerry of signing up for "encrypted storage" from an unknown company. At the very least, I'd like to do my own encryption with a known algorithm and a key only I have

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Why would you trust these people with your data? Serious, not rhetorical question.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Why would you trust these people with your data? Serious, not rhetorical question.

It depends on what data you are talking about. I have a free dropbox and google drive account that I use to create shared documents that are really not critical. Also for work we pay for a cloud storage account for my crews to upload photos from job sites. None if this info is anything I would or should care about if it were somehow compromised.

However specific to this company, I don’t know much about them, but the fact that they seem to be entering the market with a transparent policy and an using open source approach to their software does seem to be a good start. We know for a fact that your information held on google’s servers is NOT private. We also know that Apple just announced (but delayed) their plan to scan personal photos stores on their servers. So in many ways this companies approach seems to at least appear genuine in their approach to keeping your information private. The fact that they use encryption means that they do not possess the actual keys to decrypt your data. This model would be similar to Protonmail in that if they were compelled by court order to turn over your data to some authority, that info would be unreadable.

My personal idea is to possibly use this cloud storage as a secondary backup of personal files or photos. Nothing too private, just a cloud backup of not so critical things.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    use this one also...
    https://degoo.com

have others bigger..

Rock you are right. Do you use this service?

Their offering is pretty impressive. Not only larger storage for free also they don’t delete your free account unless it’s inactive for one year vs. 3 months for filen.io.

Their paid service seems to have some outstanding security features.
    65ccf1db57794baf3737b33deacdd3ae.png

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

Their offering is pretty impressive. Not only larger storage for free also they don’t delete your free account unless it’s inactive for one year vs. 3 months for filen.io.

Not buying it.

Unless encryption/decryption is done strictly on the client side (in which case, any cloud storage is secure) the service provider will have have a plaintext copy at some point.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

Yes and have used it for a while, no issues actually pretty decent up / down speeds at least from my side....both paid n free

Not buying it.

Unless encryption/decryption is done strictly on the client side (in which case, any cloud storage is secure) the service provider will have have a plaintext copy at some point.

true but then again, if your secrets are that private, then pay for it. and why would you use a free service for it, just saying. :D:D:Dthen you run into issues more so today they are down more so.. can I get to my data?
    yes client side.
    then again you could setup your own "box" (paid for monthly). There's really nothing I need except some extra storage online, for non personal stuff, reloading related, gun related, articles, tech manuals, etc..for access instead of VNC into my home box. If someone or enity wants your stuff they will get it... Just having some fun...

-Rock

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Why not just use an encrypted thumb drive or external drive?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Why not just use an encrypted thumb drive or external drive?

I have a local NAS on my home network with encrypted folders along with secure backup copies of documents and sensitive files on an encrypted USB that I keep in a safe, inside of a fireproof bag.

909d226487bf125c96eae697d69775b9.jpg

There is a good reason to also have offsite backup copies and I do pay for a small encrypted backup for just that purpose. 1gb is more than enough storage for any important document I possess.

The free cloud storage is used for backups of family photos, video and maybe music. In my digital lifetime I’ve lost family photos to multiple drive failures over the years. I even backed up photos to DVD’s only to have one fail as well.

I also save things like digital copies of owners manuals, product warranties and what not.

None of those things really require encryption IMO but if it’s included, why not.

pennyanfernee

Nov 2, 2020
    The more storage the better. Those concerned about security always have the option to encrypt any data before storing it on any of these free options. One can never have too many off site backups.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    For DVD Archive I use these for important stuff, but I have older packaging.
    burn at 4X on a Plextor External DVD burner, the key is slower burn rate,
    even ISO's I do 4X

"Verbatim -DVD-R 4.7GB 8X UltraLife Gold Archival Grade with Branded
    Surface and Hard Coat"

never a problem..

and encrypted thumb-drives..

-Rock

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I like IronKey encrypted USB drives. Have a few of the originals (faster, more durable and more expensive SLC flash memory) before Kingston bought them.

They are physically robust. The electronics are potted, so it's waterproof. I've accidentally run them through washer and dryer more than once. Just shake the lint out and they're good to go.

On-chip encryption. Enter the wrong password 10x and the memory self destructs. The device overloads the flash memory and destroys everything stored on it. It doesn't just erase the encryption key.

I use one to store all my scanned documents. I've had it for 11 years and it's about 1/2 full (4Gb)

noloader

Jeff Not G
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2022
    Pasadena, MD
    Do you know anything about the provider?

What type of encryption are they using (or claim to be using)?
    The real question is, how are the keys managed.

To learn how keys are managed, you typically need to perform a Security Architecture (SecArch) review. Most companies don't allow end users to do that sort of thing. I used to do them all the time when working for an investment bank. Our team at the bank used to have to evaluate vendor products.

If the keys are available or managed by the provider, then the keys are outside your security boundary. The provider is subject to legal authority and government/law enforcement still has access to your data.

The safest bet is to setup your own Storage Area Network (SAN) at the house. Then the keys are always within your security boundary. When government comes asking for your data, you can tell them to go pound sand.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The real question is, how are the keys managed.

To learn how keys are managed, you typically need to perform a Security Architecture (SecArch) review. Most companies don't allow end users to do that sort of thing. I used to do them all the time when working for an investment bank. Our team at the bank used to have to evaluate vendor products.

If the keys are available or managed by the provider, then the keys are outside your security boundary. The provider is subject to legal authority and government/law enforcement still has access to your data.

The safest bet is to setup your own Storage Area Network (SAN) at the house. Then the keys are always within your security boundary. When government comes asking for your data, you can tell them to go pound sand.

The government can compel an individual, via court order, to provide their own keys.

Also do you know any providers who do not actually have access to your private key. Like how Protonmail claim to operate. In this case the individual could be compelled to provide access to their stored information, but at least the government couldn’t access your private information without your knowledge or permission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom